Gransnet forums

Chat

With a bit of luck DH will come home today!

(40 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 14-Oct-19 09:11:52

He's been in hospital for five weeks and is going stir crazy. He's not cured. They still haven't located the source of the infection that affected his heart but have ruled out all the 'nasties' (we hope)

We know he will have to return as an outpatient for various tests and treatment and valve replacement surgery is planned for the not too distant future but his IV antibiotics can now be given at home if the OPAT (outpatients antibiotic treatment) team can get everything in place.

His mood has been very low lately and this has prompted them to get him home ASAP so it's now up to me (and the dogs and cat) to buck him up!

I'm good at that grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:16:13

Good news he is coming back home to you merlotgran. I hope the OPAT team can get everything together for you.

Hopefully in his own surroundings his mood shall improve and there is nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

Let's hope his operation is sooner than later so that he can start on the road to recovery.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 09:19:02

You have truly been through the mill Merlotgran (there is no justice in the world) but I hope this is the start of better health for your DH and perhaps some respite for you.
I am constantly amazed at the sheer strength of GN Grans and full of admiration. As they say in Germany “Gute Besserung”
flowers

Nortsat46 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:25:37

Oh, fingers crossed for the safe return home of your DH merlotgran. I am sure that you and the furry ones can boost his mood.

I second GrannyGravy13, there is nothing like being at home and in your own bed.
Good luck ?

Nannytopsy Mon 14-Oct-19 09:30:09

Fingers firmly crossed for you both xx

Maybelle Mon 14-Oct-19 09:31:20

Good news, home and his own bed should work wonders on his mental wellbeing.
Hope all goes smoothly.

Brunette10 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:32:45

You certainly have been through the mill Merlotgran, I hope your DH gets home and is able to recuperate in his own bed. There's nowhere like home as they say, I personally think its true too. Take care.

Eglantine21 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:36:35

I’m glad to hear this news. I hope it all goes smoothly.

You’ll both feel happier when he’s back at home. Put something in the slow cooker. Sometimes discharge at our “local” takes forever!

Nonnie Mon 14-Oct-19 09:44:38

This is the first post I've seen on this subject Merlot (sorry don't read everything) so I can only send you both my best wishes. That is a long time to be in hospital not know what the cause is, no wonder he feels low. flowers

silverlining48 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:51:27

Best wishes from me too Merlot. Hope once out of the hospital environment your husband starts to improve.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself in all this as you have had so much sorrow to deal with recently.
flowers

Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 09:51:42

Your family have had more than their fair share of worry and sadness merlotgran of late. I sincerely hope your husband, once home, is more cheerful and gets better soon with support from his medical team. x

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 10:00:57

I didn't know about this Merlot, and I'm so sorry. Glad your DH is coming home now. I hope you see a big improvement very soon. x

kittylester Mon 14-Oct-19 10:12:34

I echo what maw said, Merlot - just so long as she wasnt swearing! wine

merlotgran Mon 14-Oct-19 10:15:31

Thanks, everyone. Discharge is an average of five hours so I'm still in my pyjamas doing the housework. I'm not setting off until I get 'the call.'

Yesterday just about put the tin hat on it all. The poor man in the bed opposite DH has inoperable brain cancer so obviously isn't aware his behaviour is bizarre but he talks very loudly on his mobile telling the whole world how wealthy he is, who he's going to leave all his money to and who will be in charge of his business dealings. confused

It's very LOUD and goes on for hours.

The consultant arrived yesterday to put us in the picture re discharge and further treatment. We could barely hear her as there was a sing-along to the complete Mary Poppins soundtrack from across the way. He had friends on the other end of his phone and when the consultant raised her voice to try to make herself heard he put them all on speakerphone shock

It would have been funny if DH wasn't desperate to get some reassurance but Dick van Dyke and his cronies weren't going to let up! The consultant promised she'd 'have a word' as her voice went up another gear.

Suddenly, the curtains flew open and I was grabbed by the shoulders and told to reign in my strident voice - he'd mistaken me for the consultant!! DH went straight into 'Egad, sir, unhand my wife.' mode (2019 version) and the consultant called security!!

We were ushered to the day room so we could unwind (and laugh) while they sorted it all out. He's been moved. God help who gets him next!! grin

If ever there was a need to be in your own madhouse home. grin

KatyK Mon 14-Oct-19 10:16:33

Hope he's OK.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:25:24

Best wishes, Merlot you've had a rotten time of it. I hope all goes well for you both.

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 10:29:25

shockshockshock

That's all I can say about the man in the bed opposite. Hope they've put him in a room on his own now. Sounds like he gets all the company he needs on his phone.

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 10:30:53

Btw, such a good idea to do the housework in pj's. Will give that a try. (I never get round to it once I'm dressed)

Bathsheba Mon 14-Oct-19 10:41:55

This is the first I've read of your DH's illness merlot. Gosh you two have been dealt a terrible hand this year, haven't you.

My best wishes for his homecoming and speedy recovery away from the circus in the opposite bed shock

Luckygirl Mon 14-Oct-19 10:43:42

Yes indeed - he needs to be at home and out of the madhouse that is hospital! My OH has made me promise that under no circumstances will I allow anyone to send him to hospital, however ill he might be.

Now - please look after yourself in all this. I know how very hard it can be looking after a sick person at home. Make sure that you go out sometimes and get some fresh (cold!) air. It can be all-consuming and you need to make your plans with that in mind.

But it is such good news that he may be coming home - I have my fingers crossed for you both!

dragonfly46 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:19:57

Good news Merlot you will have your hands full but at least it will not be with daily visits to the hospital.

I hope this is the start of a change in luck for you and your family.

Following Maw's example in Dutch we would say 'Beterschap' - we have to keep the European theme going!!

Jaycee5 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:33:08

Good news.
However good hospitals are, they are depressing places to stay in for long. The systems are infantalising and it is hard to sleep with corridor lights on all night. The food must feel very repetitive after 5 weeks too.
He is sure to be happier at home and hopefully the infection will go soon as they are also depressing.
A comfy sofa, something good on TV, a nice lunch and you and the pets should do it!

BlueSapphire Mon 14-Oct-19 11:39:20

Best wishes from me too and hope all goes smoothly. I had a good chuckle over yesterday's saga!

BlueBelle Mon 14-Oct-19 11:52:40

Best of luck for you and your husband merlot I hope he comes on in leaps and bounds once he gets into your care

SueDonim Mon 14-Oct-19 12:41:13

Your dh's illness had passed me by, Merlotgran, I'm so sorry you have had such a terrible time this year, what with everything else as well. flowers

Welcome home to your dh, his own bed and home cooking will be just the thing he needs! Look after yourself, too. X