Gransnet forums

Chat

what wouldnt you wear?

(108 Posts)
petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 11:35:25

Is there anything you wouldn't wear-for any reason?

I'll give you my example.

I recently spotted a lovely, cosy padded jacket in a gorgeous purple velvet. They had my size. Should I or shouldn't I? Could I justify adding it to my wardrobe? Where would I wear it? These thoughts rushed through my head but I dismissed them all. I loved the colour, it was warm and super cosy. Its felt divine. I took out my bank card, went to complete the purchase.

Then the thought hit me. If I wore this jacket, (I'm fairly well endowed in the bosom department by the way) I would look like a blueberry on legs. So I didn't buy the jacket.

whywhywhy Wed 16-Oct-19 11:39:35

I'm quite like you in the fact that I have large boobs so I have to watch just what I wear. I recently saw a lovely black Macintosh but because I am only 5'3" then I thought it would look daft. I also would love to wear light coloured jumpers but again they just dont look right, to me, so I end up with dark ones. Oh to be perfect!

dragonfly46 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:40:11

You should have bought it - it sounds lovely. I usually buy things on spec if I see something and love it otherwise I have regrets.

Alima Wed 16-Oct-19 11:41:06

You could get it and join XR. Must be ok to go as a blueberry as I have just seen a report of a man on the protest dressed as a broccoli floret.?

Nannylovesshopping Wed 16-Oct-19 11:42:48

Oh my goodness, buy buy buy!! You loved it, was absolute gorgeous, if I saw you in it I would just think what a fabulous jacket, not a blueberry, def more confidence needed here, love to know which shop I would love one. In answer to your question, I never buy anything that shows my fat knees?

Beckett Wed 16-Oct-19 11:43:00

Leggings - never never never!!

Dottydots Wed 16-Oct-19 11:43:16

I wouldn't wear anything really see-through now, as I can't be bothered to worry about all the underwear straps showing.

crazyH Wed 16-Oct-19 11:45:22

Petunia, I wouldn't wear a padded, quilted jacket, you know the one I'm talking about, because it makes me look really strange. Let's just say I'm not a size ten and I'm short . So now you know what and why ......

petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 11:46:18

ha ha alima-i like your suggestion. and dragonfly, please dont tempt me.
why-i too am short-which makes the blueberry scenario more real.

maybe i should just identify as a tall willowy slender model type who can wear anything?

humptydumpty Wed 16-Oct-19 11:48:49

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday, who suggested: buy something you really like and keep it for a week - try it on at home and see how it looks/feels. If, after a week, you feel you made a mistake, return it to the shop. Gives you more time to think, less pressurised.

moggie57 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:51:57

who cares what you wear .if you feel comfortable in it .. but saying that there was a blue and white rain coat i saw in my charity shop, yes i want a rain coat .but a blue and white blob in the rain .no thanks.

Alexa Wed 16-Oct-19 11:53:40

Sleeveless, unfortunately I would not wear any more with regret..

I also avoid a difference in horizontal levels such as thin little black legs and voluminous top.

sodapop Wed 16-Oct-19 12:02:23

It sounds lovely in theory petunia but like you I look like the Michelin woman in anything padded. So many coats and jackets now are padded or quilted.

grannysyb Wed 16-Oct-19 12:08:39

Leggings, baggy tops. I'm pear shaped with quite big thighs ,so I wear wide trousers with fitted jumpers or shirts.

KatyK Wed 16-Oct-19 12:12:38

I love my leggings. Only around the house though. They're lovely and warm in the winter with woolly socks.

Jane10 Wed 16-Oct-19 12:15:57

Fake tan. Not for me the tangerine look.

grapefruitpip Wed 16-Oct-19 12:19:09

a thong

Alexa Wed 16-Oct-19 12:36:20

If I had muscular thighs I'd wear leggings.

petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 12:38:27

Ouch grapefruit-a thong. No chance. Plus they must be so unhygienic, spending so much of the day where the sun don't shine

Alexa Wed 16-Oct-19 12:40:55

I like a polyester puffa jacket . It's washable, warm, windproof, incredibly lightweight, and I can if necessary stuff it into a little bag and carry it . I have a black, a white, and a dark green animal print.

DoraMarr Wed 16-Oct-19 15:12:57

High heels, sadly. I do wear leggings- more comfortable under a dress, with ankle boots, and they look like tights. Plus, you can wear warm socks. I don’t wear synthetic fabrics, either, and I don’t buy clothes made in sweatshops.

Oopsminty Wed 16-Oct-19 15:16:17

Crocs

Jane10 Wed 16-Oct-19 15:48:21

My SiL says Crocs work well as effective contraceptives!! grin

M0nica Wed 16-Oct-19 16:12:23

I look at those lovely floral dresses currently in fashion all fitting neatly into the waist - and that is the problem. I do not have a waist the gap in my body between ribcage and hips is very small, DD who sometimes makes clothes for me describes my shape as peculiar.

Whatever the cause. with no waist anything that fits around my non-existent waist makes me look overweight, despite being size 10/12 and well within the BMI for my height.

However, as I said, DD sometimes makes dresses for me so she has made me a dress like the one I crave but with a raised waist and slightly loose fit and though I say it myself, it looks just right on me.

callgirl1 Wed 16-Oct-19 16:22:44

Nothing really compliments my short, fat body, but definitely out are sleeveless dresses and tops, as the tops of my arms are really ugly, very fat and flabby.