Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(61 Posts)
12Michael Sun 20-Oct-19 06:27:00

Good Morning Everyone,
Its still dark but its dry here in Brackley this morning, today will be visiting cemetery and tending to graves along with my sister. Then when she leaves , will get back to routine , having a steak & kidney pie for lunch , made locally.
The pie shop is in the market place not far away , and when they are baking and the wind is right you smell the aroma of the baking.
Mick

HurdyGurdy Sun 20-Oct-19 06:40:30

We have had a spur of the moment visit to Norfolk this weekend (from Bedfordshire).

My husband bought himself a telescope last week. An ex colleague, who now lives in Norfolk, sent me a photograph of the night sky over her village.

I checked the BBC weather website which said clear skies, and before we knew where we were, we'd booked an AirBnB property, loaded the telescope, and two pairs of binoculars into the car, picked up our daughter and granddaughter, and were on our way grin

The forecast wasn't entirely accurate, because it clouded over at about 10pm, but before then, four sets of voices could be heard repeatedly exclaiming "oh my god", and "that is amazing" and "I've never seen so many".

So Sunday will see us returning to Bedfordshire. We will visit Redwings Horse Sanctuary which is close by (granddaughter's request) and take in a National Trust property somewhere on the way back.

A lovely, unexpected, weekend smile

Calpurnia Sun 20-Oct-19 06:46:08

It is still dark here on the coast in S Devon right now - with rain forecast for later.

Mick - I hope you had a nice time with your sister - lunch sounds delicious. I have two sons and a GS coming over to watch a “very important football match” this afternoon - I have beer and crisps ready. It will be a chance for the “boys” to have some time with their dad.

I hope everyone facing sad or difficult times have an easier day today. It is good to know there is always a huge wave of support for GN’s in need of a kind word and support here.

Ginny42 Sun 20-Oct-19 06:51:48

Good morning Mick and everyone. Been up since 3.00 and made myself busy, but then my DD noticed I was up when she read my email about Christmas arrangements so we had a 50 minute chat.

It's still dark here, but peered out and it's fine here in Cheshire. I'll be walking in the woods with my neighbours at 9.00 then going to my sister's in Manchester for lunch and a walk probably. I've become a bit anxious about M'way driving in the dark because of dazzle from headlights, so want to be home before dark.

Wish I lived that close to a good bakery Mick, but then again it's perhaps a good thing that I don't. I'd be too tempted by their goodies.

Hope things are improving for Gilly and her DH and that everyone feeling poorly has a better day.

Resurgam123 Sun 20-Oct-19 07:14:14

Good Morning All
I am still full of cold, I don't know when this is going to stop. It keeps coming and going.
I have had enough of this I don't usually have them this bad.

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 07:17:17

Good morning all -TBH I haven’t peeked through the curtains to see the weather yet!
I just wanted to say if anybody is in striking distance of Watford, the play I went to at the Palace theatre is worth going to. Really moving and thought provoking. It’s called “Gaslight” but is more than an updated version of the Ingrid Bergman film. It is designed as a “final rehearsal” of a production of that play by a group of young women in a women’s refuge and characters they play. The characters, these young women, will have experienced what they are “acting” and as you watch them putting their own experience of abuse into their language and actions, it suddenly takes on a whole new level of meaning. We talked about for hours during supper afterwards and on the drive home.
So a quiet day today for me- maybe a bit of World Cup rugby.
Wishing you all a pleasant day.

NanKate Sun 20-Oct-19 07:19:25

Morning Mick and All.

Just getting light here in South Bucks, very nippy too.

Off to West Sussex to look after DGSs for 24 hours as there Dad has to go up to the West Midlands to do a show at a school there. No doubt we will have a few laughs.

That pie sounds tempting Mick. ?

Hope to hear better news of theGillybobs today.

cornergran Sun 20-Oct-19 07:26:38

Morning Mick, morning All. It seems dry outside our corner of Somerset so with luck the laundry can go out. Back late yesterday from another few days visit to a much loved friend who is just home after three months in hospital. It was hard leaving and my heart is heavy. A quiet day ahead, easy meal, general pottering and some tv catchup. Hope Sunday is kind to everyone.

Greyduster Sun 20-Oct-19 07:31:33

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Steak and kidney pie! Set another place, Mick! We are set for a dry day today I think. GS has been here overnight and we will be taking him to junior football this morning and then entertaining him for the day. My DD is running the York Marathon today and I am nervous for her, but I know she’ll give it her best shot. We will see them later for dinner. Have a good day folks.

kittylester Sun 20-Oct-19 07:32:31

Morning all from North Leicestershire. Haven't looked out yet but I cant hear rain.

We still have DD3 and children here and have had a lovely (if exhausting!) time.

Dh is taking Bertie to his football match while I cook with Persie. I am helping on an Alzheimer's stall this afternoon and intend leaving the clearing up at home until tomorrow.

Enjoy kate

Sending love to the gillybobs.

Resurgam123 Sun 20-Oct-19 07:34:45

There is still a garden program even if Gardeners world is not. My cup of morning tea is with me.

Beechnut Sun 20-Oct-19 07:49:32

Good Morning everyone.
Cloudy and dry on Severnside.

I plan to watch Gardeners World. I saw very little of it on Friday evening.

I had a lovely time in the garden and shed yesterday and plan to do the same today. I will do some weeding near the house.

I hope you all have a good day and poorly people feel better ?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 20-Oct-19 07:50:45

Morning all, up bright and early a we are going across country, think country roads, to take my daughter out to lunch for her birthday. Just hope my back pain stays away.

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 07:54:30

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and still mild. I can see the Pennine ridge quite clearly and the sun is rising behind it with streaks of apricot and rose - quite beautiful.

Absolutely no plans today but options. Maybe call in to see my father, definitely the smalls at some stage. No idea what to cook but my well stocked larder (Sainsbury’s) is only in the square two floors down. It’s lovely not to have to plan ahead for food but see what we fancy on the day! My fridge is quite empty, apart from butter, milk and a jar of lemon curd.

Good luck to your daughter running the York marathon today Greyduster bet you are really proud of her. She will enjoy that dinner later!

I can well imagine how thought-provoking that play would have been Maw I think I read once that 1:4 people suffer domestic abuse which seems shockingly high.

Hope Sunday is good to us all (especially the gillybobs) whether we have any plans or (like me) none at all. x

vena11 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:09:45

Good morning All from this dry bright Sunday in Bristol.
My DD and youngest DGS are coming this morning for few days cant wait to see them, nothing planned today but lots of cuddles from him, they live 2 hours away and really miss them.
I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Marydoll Sun 20-Oct-19 08:15:35

Good morning all from a damp Glasgow.

Mick I have made a tradional Scottish steak pie for dinner, DH's favourite. Although he has been a star trying to do the cooking, I could not trust him to make this! grin
I hope you enjoyed your sister's visit.

Another quiet day for me, yesterday we had a full house, so I shall be glad of the peace and quiet. Much as I love having visitors, I'm finding it very tiring.
This morning, I am going to see how I feel, and may go for the papers, I need my life back and have some level of normality!

The Gillybobs, as ever, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Enjoy your Sunday.

moggie Sun 20-Oct-19 08:17:24

Good morning Mick & all from cloudy, warm Palma. Will Watch rugby this morning, walking or beach later.
Enjoy your pie Mick, sounds delicious.
Thinking of the gillybobs sending love & best wishes to them.
Hope all not feeling well or struggling have a better day.
Have a good day everyone.

harrigran Sun 20-Oct-19 08:17:51

Good morning from a grey NE.
No plans for today so will probably catch up on some Netflix series.
Please know that we are thinking of you gilly and hoping today brings better news.

Mythbirtthedragon Sun 20-Oct-19 08:19:10

Good morning from Bridlington, looks damp outside but may blow away when the tide goes out. No plans for today - no need to try when there are good beach walks in both directions at the end of the road. DS is organising roast dinner today, aka lots of veg for me and DB3, the others can eat the meat. Have a good day.

Susan56 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:22:10

Good morning from Shropshire.Damp but dry today.
No plans today but lots of things to be getting on with.
I was feeling quite overwhelmed yesterday.We went to visit my mum and there is a definite decline in her health,I don’t think I need to do anything yet but have had a sleepless night worrying about it.She lives 50 miles away and with my husband having surgery next week with a two month recovery period,my childcare commitments,some locum shifts I feel I need a couple more days in the week.
Anyway,enough of my moaning,wishing everyone a good Sunday and that those who have been unwell are feeling better.
Gilly,I hope things are improving,sending you love and strength.x

Grammaretto Sun 20-Oct-19 08:27:39

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Dry so far. We are or should be, packing to go north to stay with DD and the DGC for a few days.

I've been up half the night emailing new cousins found as a result of getting my DNA tested. I highly recommend it if you want new penfriends.grin

I hope today brings better news from the Gillybobs and others who are suffering.

NfkDumpling Sun 20-Oct-19 08:46:41

Morning All

And a lovely bright, if rather chilly, morning it is too. Hopefully we’ll get the rest of the garden sorted - it’s been rather let go this summer.

Enjoy your visit to Redwings HurdyGurdy, its very close to us too. Lovely in the summer.

Thinking a lot of the Gillibobs and sending positive vibes. xx

Nortsat46 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:53:09

Morning Mick and all. Lovely morning here in east London.
Like everyone else, I was thinking about the gillybobs and was moved when I realised the geographical spread of good thoughts and wishes coming to them from GNs far and wide.

Today I see good wishes from the Scottish Borders, Shropshire, Bridlington, the North East, Palma (?), Glasgow, Bristol, South Manchester, Severnside, North Leicestershire, South Bucks, Cheshire, South Devon, Bedfordshire and from east London (me).
I am sure that’s a comfort, if/when gillybob has a bit of time to catch up with Mick’s lovely thread.

Have a good day all and good thoughts to those facing challenges. ?

Nortsat46 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:56:49

NflkDumpling crossed post, sorry I didn’t include the geography of your good wishes in the gillybob list ... I think you may be Norfolk? ...

Anniebach Sun 20-Oct-19 09:00:39

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Thoughts and good wishes to gillybob from Mid Wales

Hope everyone has a good day x