Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(46 Posts)
12Michael Thu 31-Oct-19 06:09:41

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry at present here in Brackley this morning.
On the buses today to Buckingham and Bicester , for coffees etc.
At Bicester I usually see on occasions former work colleagues, and have the odd chat.
Mick

Beechnut Thu 31-Oct-19 06:20:29

Good Morning everyone.
It doesn’t feel cold but it is dark and wet.

I’m off out early to see if I can buy a magazine I like, back home to finish my work then I might and that’s a big might do some cleaning and tidying.

I hope that you felt up to some retail therapy yesterday Marydoll after your medical outing.

Thinking of you all especially gilly ?

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Oct-19 06:32:57

Morning All

A bright dawn is breaking here in Norfolk. It looks like another lovely day in prospect.

We had a call yesterday afternoon to say the blokes can come today to put that matting stuff down in the drive to stop the car spreading shingle all over the road. Yippee!

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Oct-19 06:36:17

(Pressed post instead of return, I need to add continuing good wishes and strengthening vibes to Gilly and all who are in need. And don’t you go overdoing things Marydoll, its still early days.

Sar53 Thu 31-Oct-19 06:55:30

Good morning everyone from a dry Essex by the sea. I had my flu jab about 11 yesterday morning, felt fine until about 9 last night , arm very sore. Went to bed and felt dreadful, my whole body aches, headache, boiling hot and feeling nauseous. I've been laying on the sofa since 3, had about 2 hours sleep. Has anyone else had this kind of reaction ? I have the jab every winter but it's never affected me like this before. I don't think I shall be doing much today.

We are going away for a long weekend early tomorrow, I sincerely hope I feel better by then.

My thoughts are with Gillybobs and her husband, I hope there may be some glimmer of hope for them today.

Have a good day everyone.

cornergran Thu 31-Oct-19 07:01:29

Morning Mick, morning All from a damp corner of Somerset the lovely Autumn days are missing here. Granny detail today, Mr C has man flu so is opting out. Been thinking of gilly with love. Take it easy sar, could be a coincidence but I’ve no idea really, hope you’ll feel much better soon, marydoll managed the shop for a little while and Thursday is kind to everyone.

kittylester Thu 31-Oct-19 07:01:54

Morning all from a brightish North Leicestershire.

I think we are predicted rain over the next few days which will test yesterday's repair on the roof. It turned out to be a fairly quick and easy repair so let's hope it works.

Sainsbury's, butchers and then brew and cupcake with a friend!

Sending love to gilly and healing vibes to all who need them.

Ginny42 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:03:50

Good morning Mick, Beechnut, NfkDimpling Sar53and all who follow. It's white with frost here in Cheshire and I'm staying put under the duvet for a while. We've had glorious weather all this week. Fingers crossed for another lovely day.

I haven't posted much this week as I'm helping friends with problems. It's distressing to hear my best friend crying because her husband doesn't recognise her and I'm trying to support her. Another friend is due home from hospital and they want her car moved so they can get a wheelchair up the drive. However, the car battery is flat, it's not taxed and doesn't have an MOT. My wonderful BiL will go and sort it for me tomorrow. I just hope she doesn't go home today.

Fortunately I'm perfectly well, so I should be grateful that I'm in a position to do these things. I plan to go to the hairdresser this morning as there's no painting group today.

Sending love and warm wishes to Gilly and her DH. Hope there is some improvement. Marydoll you do need to take care. Sorry you're feeling poorly Sar53, hopefully you'll pick up as the day goes on and be fit for tomorrow.

Enjoy your day everyone whatever you may be doing. xx

ninathenana Thu 31-Oct-19 07:07:06

Morning from grey Kent.
Lovely sunny autumn day yesterday but back to the gloom today.
We are having our flu jabs tomorrow, we have had them each year for a while now. Slightly apprehensive now Sar53 hope you soon recover.
Have to take DS to a Halloween party tonight and collect him. It's good to see him getting out.
Thoughts are with all those who are in need.

harrigran Thu 31-Oct-19 07:11:27

Good morning from a dry NE.
Awake early because I am off to Cumbria to do more clearing out of sold home. Our plumber is travelling too so he can service the boiler.
First waking thought was of gilly and her DH. I hope there is better news today, a gentle hug for you gilly.

Resurgam123 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:16:02

Good morning All.
My two grandsons are about to burst into the living room I can hear them . No peace for a Nanan. Coming down stairs now.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:19:27

Good morning Mick and all from a grey SE Essex x

Sar53 sorry to hear you are poorly, I had my flu jab about 5 weeks ago was ok for about 18 hours, then a really sore arm and extremely lethargic.

I have so much to do today but do not know where to start?

gillybob thinking of you and your dear husband, sending love, hugs and a virtual shoulder to lean on xxx

Marydoll Thu 31-Oct-19 07:20:26

Good morning Mick and all from a very frosty Glasow, it's -4 degrees. It's on mornings like this I'm so glad I'm retired! grin Urmstongran and Pantglas, you won't have that problem, I suspect.
I've been up since 5.30am, feeling a bit yukky after my procedure yestrday.

Sar53, my husband had a similar reaction last year and is reluctant to have the flu jab this year, but I think he is foolish. Flu kills!! I hope you feel better by tomorrow.
Paracetamol and lots of fluids, that's the advice from Dr Marydoll. grin

My procedure yesterday was much quicker than previously and the staff were just lovely, so I did make Primark. DH was allowed in with me and we sat and did some crosswords together. Our bonding time and so restful!! grin.

After the procedure, the nurse took my BP, which was the lowest it's been in the last thirty years!!! I wish I knew why that happened, as it's usually very high. I certainly wasn't complaining.
However, I began to feel really weird when I was shopping (the blooming infusion) and lasted only twenty minutes in Primark, before giving up.
In that short time I did manage to buy some pairs of pyjamas, ( for my hospital bag), and lots of stuff for DGD. If I had felt better, I would probably have run amok!
DH was astonished when I appeared back so soon.

My wee grandaughter has had another asthma flare up, so we popped into see her on the way home from hospital , as her daddy had to take the day of work, since we were unavailable.
I'm just waiting to hear if she is able to go to nursery or not. I hope so, as DH has to go out and I will be on my own.
Much as I love her, she is exhausting, talks even more than her old gran. smile.

I hope everyone has a reasonable day and those feeling low, find peace.

As usually the Gillybobs are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I can't stop thinking about them.

Grammaretto Thu 31-Oct-19 07:24:03

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders..
Another bitterly cold day forecast. I'm doing outdoor things this morning so will wrap up like the michelin man.
I had a reaction like yours Sar no sore arm but mild flu symptoms, shivering, headache. I was better after 2 days. I think it shows our immune systems are very strong!

I hope Gilly is getting some relief and promising news. It is hard not knowing the cause and bombarding him with drugs.
Take it easy Marydoll
Have a good day all of you and don't open your doors to spooks tonight.
My DGC are going out Guising for the first time and are very excited.

aggie Thu 31-Oct-19 07:40:12

Good Morning all, thank goodness the wind seems to have died down here . No frost either , my grandchildren will be visiting this evening to show me their Halloween costumes.
Thinking of Gillybob
Glad you got some shopping done Marydoll
Anyone still confused by the clock change ? I have been awake far too early these mornings , then I daren’t sit down after lunch or I fall asleep and that makes me feel rotten

Nannytopsy Thu 31-Oct-19 07:40:44

Morning Mick. Hope you meet friends to chat with today.
No workmen until Monday, so we can have a lazy start today ?. It is clear and frosty in our bit of Suffolk so far today - long may it last!
Best wishes to you all, particularly the Gillybobs.

Brunette10 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:43:42

Good Morning from a bright but very cold Fife. Nice to see the sun again but I fear it will disappear today, will make the most of it. Out shopping this morning and a visit from DD and DGS2 the afternoon. Sar we had out flu jabs last week with no hiccups, hopefully you will feel better soon. gillyof course in my thoughts, Marydoll take things easy please. Nice to get up each morning knowing that people care. Hope today is good to you all.

Susan56 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:44:28

Good morning from Shropshire.Dry at the moment but rain forecast later.
We have a list of things to do today before my husbands surgery tomorrow,hope we get everything done??
Sar,I had a reaction like yours many years ago,the dr said it was coincidence but like Marydoll’s husband I am very wary now,I still have the jab as like Mary says flu kills.Hope you feel better as the day goes on.
Sending get well wishes to everyone under the weather.Mary,take it easy.Our little granddaughter is a prolific talker as well,it’s lovely to hear but can be exhausting!
Thinking of the gillybobs as so many of us are.Sending love,prayers and strength to you gilly.x

Greyduster Thu 31-Oct-19 07:44:59

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Not a bad start to the day. Going to be dry, which bodes well for us test driving a car this morning. I thought DH had got all this out of his system, but no; seems not! Then this afternoon, I have a haircut scheduled. Can’t wait!
Kindest thoughts to Gilly. Hope there is better news.
Have a good day folks.

EllanVannin Thu 31-Oct-19 07:55:32

Good Morning All x
So far another bright morning, we're doing well with the weather up to now. It's been a good week for washing.

Off for another INR ( warfarin blood test ) this morning as the last two were high readings to which the amount had to be adjusted to bring down the risk of a bleed. Great, isn't it ? It does go scatty now and again. Probably the body's reaction to stress as I seem to know when it's not going to be right.

I hope Marydoll's body is behaving itself and is able to bring that BP down.
Sar, get a bottle of soda water for your tum. The 'flu jab did that to me 2 years ago, but not since.
Dragonfly I hope you're managing to get through your first week okay.

Hoping too that Mr Gillybob had a more settled night and that Gillybob herself is managing to hold herself together somehow.Our thoughts are never far away from you. xx

Everyone else just enjoy the day whatever you do.

Pantglas2 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:55:40

Morning all and you’re absolutely right Marydoll- no need for heating here although it is cloudy at the moment.

Interesting comments about the flu jab - I’ve had them for the past 15 years and only once had a reaction like that mentioned but agree with you Marydoll- it has to be better than actual flu, especially now we’re older.

I’m off to do a big shop in Lidl (my cupboards are bare) then joining the lunching ladies for Menu del Dia at a nearby hotel- 3 courses for €10! I’ve heard good and bad reports on the food so we’ll see - I’ll enjoy a natter regardless!

Hope everyone has a good news day especially gillybobs and others unwell x

BlueSapphire Thu 31-Oct-19 08:02:23

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Northampton, but it is quite cold. I turned the heating right down overnight but it had kicked in at some time as the radiators were warm when I got up.

Have stripped the bed and got the sheets etc in the washing machine already, so will later on clean and tidy the ensuite and bedroom and remake the bed. The new vacuum cleaner did my stairs a treat yesterday! I have never seen so much cat fur picked up! Much easier without a long flex and having to manoeuvre a heavy upright on the stairs.

Had a good book club yesterday. As usual we veered off piste, and as the book was about relationships within families and wildly different families, we all ended up telling our own family histories.

Decided it was far too cold and windy for my health walk, so just walked to the post box to make sure my baby sister gets her 65th birthday card in time. Spent the afternoon doing varying bits of admin on the laptop, and then reading. Ballet class this afternoon, and return a library book.

Hoping better news today for all with worries, especially Gilly.

oldgaijin Thu 31-Oct-19 08:06:43

Good morning from an overcast Aberdeenshire. I awoke to an odd sensation...the mutt was attending to his feet and thought my elbow could do with a wash too!
Must buy a few sweeties today as my near neighbour's wee ones are guizeing tonight. I shall have to laugh heartily at all their jokes!
A haircut is planned for today and another walk in the woodies with the mutt.

Am thinking of all those with burdens to bear.
Have a good day everyone.

NanKate Thu 31-Oct-19 08:07:01

Morning Mick and All.

A slight haze in the atmosphere in South Bucks this morning. I love to see the trees peeping through the mist in the valley.

Off for coffee with a GN friend only our second time of meeting but we had lots to say last time and no doubt will this time.

Marydoll I think you should have a medal for your continued services to retail therapy whilst battling a variety of health issues. Talking of retail I went to find a particular green jacket yesterday and discovered 2 brand new Autumn tops, totally unworn, which I had bought in the summer and completely forgotten about. Hope your wee granddaughter is better today. It’s been confirmed that our 6 year old is asthmatic too, no surprise there.

Glad you can support your friends Ginny so important.

Love, prayers and support sent to the Gillybobs through this very stressful time. ?

gillybob Thu 31-Oct-19 08:08:12

Good morning from the NE coast. I have been up since stupid o’clock doing accounts for “that place” having had the grand total of about 3 hours sleep . What a luxury it would be to worry about my dearest man without having the spectre of “that place” breathing down my neck also.

Well yesterday was another bad day. The doctors announced that following Monday evenings cardiac arrest they were taking him to surgery . He went at 2.15 pm and I was told that it would take several hours so I decided to go to “that place” and face the music. Ended up bringing heaps of cr*p home with me and cannot tell you how strong the urge was to just throw it all in the wheelie bin .

Anyway when I returned to the hospital he was back in ICU where he remains on life support. The surgeon tells me that the repair went well . Although the original operation “went well” too and look where that landed him.

I am having another meeting with doctors today to discuss them doing a tracheotomy (possibly next week) which they tell me will help force the oxygen much deeper into the lungs than the mouth tube can. What can I say ? More invasive surgery ? Ironically the letter arrived yesterday inviting him for the surgery that he has been on the list for over a year waiting for. The temptation to give them a piece of my mind is just too great .

I feel like this is all a living nightmare and I cannot see the morning.

Thank you again for all the best wishes, prayers and kind comments that keep me going. You are all such wonderful people .

Thinking of those going through pain and difficult times and hoping we all see some sunshine sunshine soon.

Love Gilly x