Gransnet forums

Chat

Fireworks. It's not just about pets.

(26 Posts)
LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:15:13

I have a friend who fought in the Falklands. He has PTSD. At this time of year life is hellish for him and I know he's not alone.

I know the emphasis is on how scared pets get but as soon as fireworks are available in the shops my area is firework central and although our dog is petrified she can be calmed with treats.

The sudden bangs go on for about six weeks and often at an unearthly hour. I'd love it if their sale was completely banned except for licensed displays by qualified pyrotechnicians. I know there's already legislation about setting off fireworks in the street but the police are already hugely overstretched.

Any petition I see is focused on animals, whther pets, farm animals or wildlife. There's nothing wrong with that but I also think about veterans. They're rarely mentioned and I think we owe it to them to make their lives more bearable.

Alima Sat 02-Nov-19 18:34:32

I was pleased to hear that our local Sainsbury’s isn’t selling fireworks this year. Don’t know if that is store-wide but a step forward nevertheless. (Yes, they are lovely to watch, people should have the chance to see a display but they get louder every year).

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:37:01

I agree only licensed organised firework and bonfire events should be allowed.

My little grandsons are often awakened by loud fireworks at this time of year and on New Year's eve.

Several nights last year, the littlest one, became quite upset and DD had terrible time trying to settle him, only to be woken again by more fireworks!

The fireworks are going off as I write.
Our village scouts bonfire is not until next weekend, so we will have at least a week of whizzes and bangs.

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:39:46

It's all Sainsbury's stores, Alima. Unfortunately there are loads of other outlets.

Liz46 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:41:01

We have just been startled by a huge bang and flash of light. I was worried about my neighbour's dog but hadn't thought about someone who had been in The Falklands.

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 18:43:33

I have a banging headache.

My Jack Russell has been barking for the last hour and showing no signs of giving up

But it's true. We don't think about people who have been traumatised.

I'll stop moaning about my dog

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:44:38

Liz, a couple of years ago another friend went over to his house at this time of year. He'd been cowering in the corridor, crying.

Lins1066 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:48:23

Classic FM are putting on some calming music with dog sounds in the background to help sooth stressed pets struggling with fireworks from 7pm tonight. Only just heard it or would have posted sooner.

Nortsat46 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:51:33

LondonGranny, I agree about Military personnel and was reflecting yesterday that it must be equally distressing for refugees who have been in war zones (and there must be many of those in London, where I live ...)

We have two cats, who seem to cope, but we also feed a feral cat, in our garden and he is terrified.
It seems more protracted this year with Diwali and Guy Fawkes Night and now Halloween seems to require fireworks too ... I think I am getting old and grumpy ...

Desdemona Sat 02-Nov-19 18:54:24

In total agreement with you all, should be organised displays only.

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:59:22

My cat never turns a hair. The advice for dogs used to be to ignore them as soothing them reinforces scared behaviour but that's been completely discredited. The advice now is to give a tiny treat every time there's a loud bang. I use dry cat food. The dog now focuses on the treats and not the bangs.

I really don't object to celebrations that involve firworks but not random bangs that happen over weeks. With a proper organised display you know when it starts and when it finishes. Also when fireworks get let off in the street, it's usually reckless teenage boys who have a sense of immortality. They need to be protected from themselves, I think. Hands get blown off and people get blinded every year, sometimes even killed.

MawB Sat 02-Nov-19 19:12:02

If only!

annodomini Sat 02-Nov-19 19:40:16

It's like being under bombardment here tonight. My late lamented black cat didn't turn a hair but the ginger one was a real scaredy cat. He used to go into the pantry and hide from fireworks behind the freezer - also when a low flying jet went over.

Fennel Sat 02-Nov-19 20:11:09

We've heard them here too, since about 3pm. I thought someone was trying to bomb us shock.
We haven't got pets now, but when we had our border collie used to hide in the downstairs toilet.

Hetty58 Sat 02-Nov-19 20:22:27

I've had a terrified cat and dog to deal with for six evenings now - and counting. It's no fun for us.

I'd like to add that many elderly folk with dementia are upset by the noise too. They don't feel safe. A lot of them lived through the Blitz and it sounds just the same.

Jaycee5 Sat 02-Nov-19 20:28:12

People could deal with it when it was one night. Now it is for most of Winter. Two weeks around Diwali, two weeks around Nov. 5th, then Christmas and New Year. People do it for birthdays as well. They are also louder and brighter but someow less artistic than things like Catherine Wheels used to be.
My dog used to be scared of fireworks. I persuaded him to go in the garden one night by going with him and his nearly got hit by a rocket which hit the side of the house by the back door. It would have been very painful if it had hit either of us.
Good things always get spoilt by being taken too far. I'm not sure what can be done about it though.

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 20:32:26

There are countries where firworks are banned except for licensed displays. I think they've been banned in Ireland, but I'm not sure.....goes off to google

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 20:35:27

Yup, ten thousand euro fine.
spunout.ie/news/article/legally-fireworks-halloween-ireland
I think they led the way on plastic bags ban too.

Hetty58 Sat 02-Nov-19 20:43:21

I'll keep on signing petitions too (just in case it helps):

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/276425

www.change.org/p/nicola-sturgeon-ban-the-sale-of-fireworks-to-the-puplic

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ban-the-sale-of-fireworks-to-the-general-public-uk

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 20:47:55

MawB
That's brilliant!

Chestnut Sat 02-Nov-19 21:05:01

This country is truly archaic sometimes. I've been saying for about 20 years that the sale of fireworks to the public should be banned. Australia and Ireland are way ahead of us.
They are just more trouble than they're worth, what with upsetting wildlife, pets and vulnerable people plus all the burns every year, maybe even fires. Just damn annoying in every way. There are plenty of organised displays, the public do not need to buy them.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Nov-19 21:10:23

Love that cartoon Maw. The look on the dog's face holding the box lid. It's so well done. grin

AllotmentLil Sat 02-Nov-19 21:46:16

Definitely organised displays only. I thought there had been a accident right outside our house this evening one bang was so loud - the fireworks are about half a mile away.
I’m ashamed to say that I’d never thought about people with PTSD after serving in the military. sad

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 22:12:08

Neither had I, despite having relatives in the forces. They are all unscathed, thankfully, despite tours in conflicts. I thought 'Dave' (not his real name) was fine when he came back from the Falklands. I had no idea about his PTSD for many years until a car backfired when we were talking on the street near my house.

It gave me a fright but he went ashen and started shaking. I took him indoors for a cuppa and he said how any sudden bang triggered flashbacks and fireworks reduced him to jelly in his own home. I was really shocked at how badly he'd been affected. I don't think soldiers feel free to talk about trauma, they usually present as blokey blokes and are reluctant to seek help as that's been seen as a weakness.

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Nov-19 23:26:48

Some of the posters on Mumsnet who have also complained about loud firework noise, have mentioned Thundershirts for dogs and cats.
Had not heard of them, so did quick google.??