Gransnet forums

Chat

Why does it always happen!

(37 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 05-Nov-19 10:31:32

I have mentioned before that I suffer with insomnia. Last night was a bad night so I didn't get up until 9.00.

At 9.30 my doorbell rang - it was a neighbour asking for a favour. I had to answer with my hair in rollers and no make up! (fortunately for him I was dressed).

Any other day I would have been dressed and reasonably presentable at that time - I just hope he doesn't ask me to pay for the counselling he is going to need!

Teetime Tue 05-Nov-19 10:42:53

Its Sod's Law again. I only ever run into people I know when I look like * never when I'm done up.

SalsaQueen Tue 05-Nov-19 15:46:45

It could have been worse - the other week, a policeman knocked on my door as I was getting ready for work (it was a query about a neighbour), and when I'd shut the door afterwards, I realised I'd had my whole face made up, apart from one eyebrow!! I must have looked a right fool.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:26:20

When I was a young mother I could be sure people would always visit unexpectedly when the place was a mess, never when I had just tidied and vacuumed and polished.

Poppyred Tue 05-Nov-19 16:31:42

I wouldn’t have answered the door!

ladymuck Tue 05-Nov-19 16:35:22

I very rarely got visitors but someone always knocked on the door when I was in the middle of bathing the baby! I'm afraid the baby came first, and I was left wondering who had called.

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 17:06:47

I know what you mean, some years ago I had a really bad migraine and went to bed for the afternoon, a very rare event for me, I had 4 phone calls, 3 of them cold-callers. the last was DH, away on business, calling in to see how I was and was taken aback by the way I snarled down the phone until I realised who the caller was.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 05-Nov-19 17:07:34

annep1, I still have that problem, even though I am no longer a young mother but an old granny. Don't think I'll ever be tidy!

Grammaretto Tue 05-Nov-19 18:29:19

Maybe if you didn't wear rollers in bed you would sleep better? wink

I thought my new neighbour was very unfriendly when I first came to this part of Scotland. (50 years ago) I called on her and she didn't invite me inside.

Later she apologised. She couldn't ask me in because her house was in a guddle and she hadn't even done the breakfast dishes. So there you go!!

sunseeker Tue 05-Nov-19 18:37:33

Grammaretto - I don't wear rollers in bed - I wash and dry my hair then put it up in rollers, spray on setting lotion and leave for 30 minutes - job done grin

Doodledog Tue 05-Nov-19 19:38:16

It's the morning calls that are the worst. I would happily not answer the door; but it might be the postman in the morning, and missing a parcel would mean trudging to the sorting office, so I have to answer.

To be fair, very few people I know would just drop in now. Nowadays everyone texts before making phone calls, never mind knocking on the door. Life is less spontaneous, but I think it's for the best. I don't keep the house visitor ready at all times, and if I want to have a third cup of tea in my pyjamas before getting dressed, I think I have earned that right grin

BradfordLass72 Wed 06-Nov-19 06:45:37

You didn't have to answer the door - it was your choice.

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Nov-19 07:27:21

I have a wonderfully big,cozy, woolly bear dressing gown and I’m loathe to get dressed in the mornings if I don’t have to so the postie is now quite used to my dishevelled state.

Humbertbear Wed 06-Nov-19 07:35:46

When I was studying (as a mature student) I would often get up at 6.00am and start work in my dressing gown. I would only at I wasn’t dressed when the postman knocked on the door at about 10.00am. I was never sure if he believed me when I said I had been working for hour or not.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 06-Nov-19 10:29:33

A week or so back I believe I shocked our postie by actually being dressed when I answered the door! Because of the queue for our single bathroom (4 of us), I am often not dressed until very late morning, getting on with household chores in my ratty old dressing gown until I get the opportunity to make myself presentable!

Apricity Wed 06-Nov-19 10:42:17

I am quite puzzled as to why people feel so obligated to open the front door if they are in bed attire, hair curlers, are unwell, were asleep or just feeling plain old unfriendly? If I don't want to answer the front door then I don't unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Surely these days people have letterboxes, online deliveries can be left if there is a designated safe place and friends and family would text if visiting?

nipsmum Wed 06-Nov-19 10:46:27

I used to work night duty. I had friends who thought it was okay to phone for a chat at 2 in the afternoon. I asked if they got many calls at 2am, no but its the afternoon I was told. They couldn't understand the concept if I got to bed at 11 am after working all night, 9 pm until 8 am. It was like 2 in the morning to me. Or delivery drivers who rung the doorbell looking for someone. My name was on the door and it usually wasn't me they were looking for..it drove me to distraction not to mention tiredness.

jaylucy Wed 06-Nov-19 10:58:29

I wouldn't worry about it! None of your neighbours business what time you get up - luckily , he did call after 9 anyway.
For all he knew, you were getting ready to go out later!
I can remember a time when I was about 17, home alone but on holiday from work. Just making myself a cooked breakfast, not dressed, but in a long length dressing gown, belt tightly tied, when there was a knock on the door - it was the rather dishy milkman calling for his money!
He all but invited himself in for breakfast until I shut the door in his face ! For months after he used to come out with the naff saying " nice to see you with your clothes on" every time I saw him !

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:13:50

If I don't want to answer the front door then I don't unless there is a very good reason to do so.

I think it would appear very rude if the caller realises you are in and just ignoring them.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 06-Nov-19 11:31:16

Put your phone on answer for the times you will be in bed or not in any position to answer it. Its your life to do as you wish you are not accountable to anyone Don't make such an issue of it as I am sure if the caller needs to contact you with an urgent matter, hopefully not that urgent, they will find a way.

annodomini Wed 06-Nov-19 11:37:22

No matter how you think you look, you can be sure that the postie/milkman/courier has seen much worse or much funnier. You are not the only person who has ever answered the door in a state of undress or with your hair in rollers. I have quite often answered the door wrapped in a large towel and I don't think the postie had a heart attack or assumed I was issuing an invitation!

Tweedle24 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:56:20

Because our house is quite isolated, there are CCTV cameras so I can look in the monitor to see who is there. I have to admit though that, unless it is definitely someone I do not wish to see, I am too curious not to answer the door.

Patticake123 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:30:45

I’m with Teetime here, it’s called Sods Law. I never meet people at the shops when I’m done up and dusted. People never pop in for a cuppa when I’ve cleaned the house. What confuses me, is how do these folk know when to appear? One of life’s mysteries......

Rufus2 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:11:52

nice to see you with your clothes on" every time I saw him!
Back in my bowling days, whenever meeting a lady bowler wearing "civvies", not uniform, it was considered de rigueur to greet with "Good Morning Mary; didn't recognise you with clothes on" grin

HettyMaud Wed 06-Nov-19 13:24:14

Men rarely notice what you look like.