Gransnet forums

Chat

I wish I enjoyed cooking!

(85 Posts)
Esther1 Tue 05-Nov-19 10:52:24

I wish I liked cooking - but I hate it, I hate even simple food preparation like making a sandwich or a salad. Don’t get me wrong - I love eating. I would love to be like the Gransnetters who plan and prepare lovely food - I would love to make a hobby of it, it would productively fill a few hours - but I just can’t get interested. Any suggestions to inspire me? It’s not even that I am a bad cook - being a sixties child I learnt all the basics well. Any ideas?

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 10:56:48

I could have written that post. I do the best Sunday roast in the family, but that's it for me. Just c.b.a.

Sorry. Not helpful.

Framilode Tue 05-Nov-19 11:51:53

I'm afraid I'm the same Gonegirl.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Nov-19 11:53:38

I can't stand cooking either.
When I was younger I would always cook basic things and be happy they were mostly edible, but nowadays its all so much effort!

Auntieflo Tue 05-Nov-19 11:59:44

Do you think that it's because we have done it for so many years?
We have been married now for 58 years, and I do get so fed up with thinking
"what are we going to eat tonight?"

So, no, I dont hate cooking, just wish I didn't have to do it.

Lumarei Tue 05-Nov-19 12:05:11

Same here ?

kittylester Tue 05-Nov-19 12:10:30

I love cooking but I cant think of a way to persuade reluctant cooks.

My children love it too so maybe caught it from me. My mum didnt like cooking much but did most of it whereas my dad loved it but rarely did it. My Granny (Dad's mum)was a French taught pastry chef who also loved cooking so maybe it's in the gene's.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 12:12:53

In my case it started when food went "fancy". Back in the eighties? I was ok with a lamb chop or a bit of mince in gravy, mashed spuds and cabbage but it's all so complicated these days. And you're not allowed meat every day now. hmm

It's all combined to put me off.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 12:15:41

I can only suggest Esther that you get as much of the preparation done early in the day when your energy is at its highest. Cooking early evening is not for me.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 12:33:41

I don't do complicated.

And I've always disliked making salads but like eating them.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:39:04

I always cook at least double quantities. Then the rest is in the fridge or freezer for another day. It's all the clearing up that I find really tedious. So there's a supply of 'ready meals' for when I can't be bothered.

HettyMaud Tue 05-Nov-19 12:39:22

Esther1 - I could have written your post. Cooking is the bane of my life. I hate it. Even hate making a sandwich or a cup of tea. Do you ever watch Dragon's Den? I remember one of the dragons, Deborah, saying she hadn't cooked for 25 years. I felt so envious. It spoils my days when I want to be gardening, walking or doing photography. But I have to do it because I believe in eating healthily so we have organic veg. But it all takes so much of my day and I end up drinking wine whilst I'm cooking to alleviate the boredom. So not much help from me I'm afraid.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 12:45:56

I don’t mind cooking as long as I have decided what we’re having. Hate it when I think “Oh, what shall we have tonight? We eat our main meal quite early, about 4.30-5.00, and I like to have prepped everything ASAP, I loathe coming home from anywhere and having to peel potatoes, prepare veg etc.
Favourite recipes that I can put in the slow cooker early on and forget about suits me very well,

Maggiemaybe Tue 05-Nov-19 13:02:35

I’m lucky. I used to do 90% of the catering when I worked and got so fed up of thinking about what to have, let alone cooking it. Fortunately, DH discovered his inner chef when he retired and does all the day to day cooking. He’s good at it and enjoys it too (so far, and I’m crossing my fingers that the novelty doesn’t wear off!).

I still do the mass catering when the family or friends are here, and any baking, though that’s usually just cakes these days, for high days and birthdays. Oh, and I make soup from the allotment produce. Though strictly speaking the soup maker does most of the work.

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 13:04:00

I love food, I am curious about new foods, new cuisines and new cultures. I still collect recipes and try them out at least one a week

BUT

I do not particularly enjoy cooking, but my enjoyment of food exceeds my dislike of cooking, so I continue to do it, but always simplifying recipes,shortening procedures and ignoring recipes that look too much like hard work.

Pantglas2 Tue 05-Nov-19 13:40:28

I’m probably on the wrong thread here as I love cooking when I’ve got time and the only part I don’t like is the clearing up, wiping down @nd washing up.

I find pottering about in a kitchen therapeutic - stirring, seasoning, sniffing and tasting as I go! Also it’s so rewarding when people enjoy the results whether it’s a cake or a casserole!

Never mind you ladies who don’t get that satisfaction, I’m sure there’s something you enjoy doing that others don’t - I hate hoovering but have friends who happily do it daily!

emmasnan Tue 05-Nov-19 13:42:47

I hate cooking too, always have. I can turn out a decent roast dinner and basic food but not interested in doing more. I'd much rather be doing other things.

EllanVannin Tue 05-Nov-19 14:12:29

I've always loved cooking/baking and on my own I continue to do so. Yesterday I made a leek and potato soup, delicious with crusty bread and so quick,simple and nourishing.
I wrote in a post yesterday that I love making soups. A carrot and orange soup some time this week.

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 14:18:03

It seems to me that most of those who hate cooking, do not have much of an enthusiasm for food full stop.

Am I the only one who loves food and planning meals but just doesn't enjoy the preparation and cooking particulalry?

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 14:22:24

You're wrong there Monica. I have loads of enthusiasm for food, and love eating it. Just prefer it when DD2 does the cooking. Food you've cooked yourself never tastes as good.

aggie Tue 05-Nov-19 14:24:46

I was never very fond of cooking , simple and quick , but healthy food . Now I am on my own I just can't be bothered .
I got a slow cooker to try and get some enthusiasm going , used it once .
I batch cook soup in the pressure cooker , with anything that comes to hand and freeze in portions , I have just had an unlabelled offering ! think it was celery , carrot and onion , had it with pitta and humus , filled a gap , but no medals .
I over do bread as my breadmaker produces tasty bread

MissAdventure Tue 05-Nov-19 14:35:13

I love food.
Eating is my main hobby!

gillyknits Tue 05-Nov-19 14:37:19

I don’t enjoy cooking but I hate thinking what to have. I get stuck in a rut of making things that I know DH would like. I’ve got loads of cookery books and sometimes make some thing new. When I ask whether he likes it , he often says that he does, but if I suggest making it again, at a later date, he refuses it.
I’ve asked to be sacked as Chef but have not been taken up on it. DH can cook but rarely does and never suggests any meals! ☹️

blossom14 Tue 05-Nov-19 14:46:25

I have lost my mojo for cooking although I enjoy well prepared and presented food.
Whenever I look at new recipes anything that suggests longer than 1/2 an hour prep puts me off, as I know it invariably will take me twice that time.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 15:04:57

Am I the only one who loves food and planning meals but just doesn't enjoy the preparation and cooking particulalry?
No, you're not.

I'm just getting a bit bored with thinking about what to have; I'm probably OK once I get started but always thankful if someone else has done the cooking for a change!

Less complicated means less clearing up too.
I made a pud at the weekend for all the family (my contribution) and enjoyed doing it but it created a lot of clearing up.

We've just eaten out at lunch-time so it will be a light tea tonight, thank goodness.