Gransnet forums

Chat

Today’s obituaries

(27 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 21:06:51

I was doing my usual scanning of today’s obituaries when I realised the one I was reading of a talented woman scientist was someone I had baby sat for 50 years ago. It has meant today that I’ve thought about that time in my life and the lovely family who were very good to me.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Nov-19 21:11:25

'usual scanning of today's obituaries' - why oh why?

wildswan16 Sat 09-Nov-19 21:24:35

I often look through the obituaries. Often learning about people I may have never heard of, but who have lead amazing lives and given great service to their country, community or organisation.

A sad way for you suziewoozie to remember those happy memories.

M0nica Sat 09-Nov-19 21:44:39

Yes, I am like you wildswan, but it is a shock when you see one you used to know.

This happened to me once, only the person concerned was 10 years younger than me and we had studied together.

Fennel Sat 09-Nov-19 21:49:53

I also read the obituaries. I think it gives us inspiration to try a bit harder in our lives.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 22:12:17

The most interesting ones are often people not well known in the sense of being famous or celebrities but as
wild said have made an enormous/important contribution to their particular field. She was 20 years younger than me and about to embark on the next stage of her career when the cancer was diagnosed.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Nov-19 22:20:00

Oh dear, I don't need to read them, they're around me, sadly. A neighbour died on Monday of this week, bless him.

Riverwalk Sun 10-Nov-19 06:42:11

why oh why?

Why not Hetty?

It's can be fascinating reading the life history of not only the rich and famous but also those who've made major contributions to society but remained under the radar until death.

MawB Sun 10-Nov-19 07:41:31

message Hetty58 Sat 09-Nov-19 21:11:25
usual scanning of today's obituaries' - why oh why ?

I believe the usual reason is to check one’s own is not among them.

Greenfinch Sun 10-Nov-19 07:52:49

grin

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 08:23:28

.....as in ‘the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated’ grin

sodapop Sun 10-Nov-19 08:24:48

Maw gringrin

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 08:25:14

I don’t read obituaries, but it must be a shock if you do to come across somebody that you once had a connection to.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Nov-19 08:30:23

Oh, I always look at obituaries, both local and in the Telegraph. Often see someone famous has died that has not been on the News.

Why ‘not’ look? Doesn’t alter the fact that they have died by not looking.

ninathenana Sun 10-Nov-19 09:13:49

I read the ones in the local paper as I have lived here all my life and all to often see a name I know.
I wouldn't know where to look other than that.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Nov-19 09:19:03

One of my bosses read through the Times obituaries every morning. When he found a particularly interesting one (in his eyes), he’d pop into my office and read it to me, word for word. Lovely man, but I used to be itching to get on with my work!

Hetty58 Sun 10-Nov-19 09:26:15

My elderly neighbours are dropping like flies as it is - perhaps the time of year? I suppose it's the local age range here. There are so many funerals I'm very glad I've arranged not to have one!

eazybee Sun 10-Nov-19 09:41:08

Today's paper is full of remembrances of people who died in conflict, World Wars 1 and 11 and those between and afterwards.
Sobering reading, but good to spare a few moments remembering them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 10-Nov-19 09:48:52

I read the obits when my late neighbour passed on her Telegraph to me when she'd finished with it.
Some of them are interesting and use euphemisms which make light of a sad subject, such as 'a climber has scaled his last mountain, a yachtsman has sailed into his final port', etc.
I believe that the late Sir Patrick Moore checked the obits each morning to make his name wasn't among them and then he'd carry on as usual.

BlueSapphire Sun 10-Nov-19 11:09:39

Was looking through the death notices in the Telegraph many years ago and found the death of my first serious boyfriend's mother; gosh, the memories that stirred up!

MissAdventure Sun 10-Nov-19 11:11:17

Births, marriages, and deaths.
Hatch, match, and dispatch.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Nov-19 11:37:09

I once did a local history talk entitled Hatches, Matches and Despatches. ? I spent hour upon hour in the local library archives trawling through the faded local newspaper microfiches. It’s no wonder my eyes are bad!

Jane10 Sun 10-Nov-19 12:00:29

I particularly enjoy reading obituaries especially of 'non celebs'. Ordinary people who have had interesting lives or not. It's interesting to read what the writer has deemed worth noting. Sometimes one gets unexpected insights into areas never previously considered. Sometimes they're unexpectedly funny or touching.

schnackie Sun 10-Nov-19 12:08:29

What Jane10 said. I enjoy reading them.

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Nov-19 15:52:51

I always read the obituaries.
When we get to the part of life that we are in the departure lounge I like to know who beat me to it.