Gransnet forums

Chat

Sounds at night

(46 Posts)
Esther1 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:06:05

Laying in bed I can hear an owl hooting outside, otherwise everything is completely silent. What do other Gransnetters best at night?

Esther1 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:07:39

‘Hear’ not ‘best’ (predictive text)

boheminan Sun 10-Nov-19 21:08:29

All I hear is my partner snoringmoon

Greenfinch Sun 10-Nov-19 21:10:26

Cars driving at high speed along the road.

tanith Sun 10-Nov-19 21:11:31

The odd car going past and a creak here and there.

Hetty58 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:11:37

Fireworks.

M0nica Sun 10-Nov-19 21:16:24

I lay and listened to owls last night. There is usually the sound of passing trains (we are close to the London -Bristol mainline), but big gaps between trains, which are usually through and away in seconds, and the occasional car

Ginny42 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:18:05

With double glazing some noises are muted, but I hear an owl and sometimes a fox calling. Difficult to describe the sound of the fox, but I jumped out of bed in fright the first time I heard it. I'm on a flightpath, so there are aircraft till around midnight and I can tell the mail delivery aircraft in the early hours. I can also hear emergency vehicles on the expressway, but the scariest sounds of all are the sounds of field mice in my loft!

GagaJo Sun 10-Nov-19 21:20:35

Nothing if windows are closed. If open, between 9pm and about 6am, I hear nothing. From 6am on, sounds of life begin. I'm on the very edge of a city, so no real traffic roar, just the odd local car.

I used to live in a house where an owl would sit and hoot in a tree next door at night. LOVELY sound.

jura2 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:24:35

we always sleep with windows open - so foxes, and the distant sound of cow bells. Then from about 6am- distant sound of 'frontaliers' French workers commuting to here, and a few tractors ..

jura2 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:56

In the UK, Church bells - all night, through the night- as loud as Big Ben. At midnight - 4 x 4 then 12 = 28 bells and Monday nights- 1 hour + of bell ringing practice.

MawB Sun 10-Nov-19 21:32:20

Very silent here- we back on to a farmhouse garden with the Manor House and its gardens beyond that.
In front and down the drive there is just a small green - sometimes when I am walking Hattie at bedtime I can hear the leaves drop off the trees! Owls and the occasional bird might break the stillness - I love it.

annodomini Sun 10-Nov-19 22:02:06

Sometimes owls and foxes; early morning trucks going to and from the tip make the windows rattle; if there's been a lot of rain, I can hear the sound of the brook rushing past the end of the garden. But I miss most of it because I am a very sound sleeper.

cornergran Sun 10-Nov-19 22:08:59

Mostly my tinnitus sad. The occasional plane and sometimes a fox.

annep1 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:16:02

How lovely to hear owls. I have only heard them while staying on a Eurocamp site near Chambord four years ago. I set the alarm to waken in the early hours so I could listen.
All I hear where I live is the occasional car. (and tinnitus )

EllanVannin Sun 10-Nov-19 22:24:41

Apart from the odd firework it's very very quiet here at night.
Not even a car is heard going past. It's not a noisy area at the best of times.
I've heard the odd fox/ vixen when it had a nest nearby and they make an awful noise----like someone being strangled.

aggie Sun 10-Nov-19 22:28:50

No noises here ......................... then I got hearing aids shock

Ellianne Sun 10-Nov-19 22:30:05

Until a few weeks ago I heard the tube line, cars going past all night including neighbourhood security vehicles with their flashing lights, as well as foxes.
Now nothing. It is so quiet here and sleep quality has much improved. Wish we had moved sooner.

GagaJo Sun 10-Nov-19 22:31:42

oh yes, and approximately once every four nights, GRANDSON who will have a wakeful night and who will have to be accommodated by daughter so I can (in theory) get enough sleep for work the next day!

MissAdventure Sun 10-Nov-19 22:39:42

Fog horns when it's misty out, occasionally the sounds of a train passing through, foxes, sometimes cars in the distance racing each other.

kircubbin2000 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:44:02

Water pouring down outside the bathroom.Just had gutters cleaned so will have to get him back to fix this bit.

merlotgran Sun 10-Nov-19 22:56:12

Sometimes owls, often the strident warning call of a pheasant because a fox might be about.

Silence.

The 5am goods train will be the next sound but we're so used to it we'll be fast asleep.

In the summer my favourite sound is the distant gentle thrum of an irrigation engine.

We live in a field. grin

MiniMoon Sun 10-Nov-19 23:28:39

Rain on the windows tonight.
Usually vehicles on the main road, an odd car passing my house.
I also hear owls hooting in the distance.
When there has been heavy rain I can hear the gushing burn at the bottom of the hill.

Tangerine Sun 10-Nov-19 23:31:19

Constant traffic. Visitors wonder how I can sleep through it but it doesn't worry me.

I have lived in big towns most of my life so perhaps that's why I am used to traffic noise.

I moved to a village once for a few years and noticed the early morning birdsong but it didn't take me long to get used to it.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 00:21:56

Like others, owls, mainly. There's not been a sound outside for hours this evening. There will be some cars on their way to work in the early morning and tractors going to and fro.

I stayed in a hotel down south recently and was delighted to hear the church bells ringing on the Sunday morning. I lived near a Catholic Church as a child and the chiming of the hours was a background soundtrack to my life.