Gransnet forums

Chat

The joy of “chickens”!

(42 Posts)
MawB Mon 11-Nov-19 07:38:28

A friend with whom I had arranged weeks and weeks ago to go to London to see the Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood exhibition tomorrow, has pulled out as she feels she has too much on.
I tried to keep a sympathetic look on my face, but inside I was heaving a sigh of relief! A day at home at last! (Out of the last 14 days I have been away from home either overnight or for the day, for 8 of them, Hattie popping in and out of kennels like a yo-yo. )
Does anybody else enjoy planning, enjoy the anticipation , the feeling that you are “keeping busy” and then the relief of not having to carry it through -but without the guilt of being the one to chicken out?
Don’t get me wrong, I would hate to be in the opposite situation and after years of having stay close to (or at) home because of Paw I vowed to say Yes to all invitations and suggestions from family and friends.and while I understand how many others feel, but - East West, sometimes home’s best!
Mind you, I might go to the Stubbs exhibition at MK gallery now I am free.........
roastchicken

Sillygrandma5GK Mon 11-Nov-19 07:42:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dragonfly46 Mon 11-Nov-19 07:45:08

I feel exactly the same Maw. I keep busy because I know I should but do love the idea that I can just stay in without feeling guilty especially at this time of year. I also know, as you do, that if you have the impulse to do something, you can.

MawB Mon 11-Nov-19 07:49:37

Oddly enough, this has just popped up on FB!
Great minds think alike?

Marydoll Mon 11-Nov-19 07:58:42

Maw, I was saying the same thing to DH yesterday. I was looking forward to guilt free reading of the papers and watching TV, something I rarely get a chance to do.
That was until the visitors arrived............

Oopsminty Mon 11-Nov-19 08:03:31

Oh yes, Maw. All the time.

Many a time days out are arranged and I always say yes, even though I mean no.

When they are cancelled the relief is immense

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 08:05:48

I agree maw.

I try to keep busy so old age doesn't spot me!!

Next Monday is a regular lunch date with ex fellow volunteers (IYSWIM) one of whom has cancelled because she has a funeral. I'd love it if another one of us had to cancel. grin

Iam64 Mon 11-Nov-19 08:07:08

Oh yes Maw. I feel blessed with grandchildren , adult children, good friends and family as well as my husband but - a weekend, or even one night home alone is my idea of heaven.

MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 08:19:11

I thought this thread was going to be about keeping hens! grin

gmarie Mon 11-Nov-19 08:24:00

Yes, here, too. grin

Auntieflo Mon 11-Nov-19 08:24:30

MamaCaz, me also! grin

travelsafar Mon 11-Nov-19 08:51:48

I agree, to have a day at home to do nothing or even to catch up on a few things is bliss. When at work i longed for my weekends off even though they were pretty hectic, now i find that with retirement my different activities and outings that i still feel the same!!!

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 08:53:28

I thought the "" in the op were a clue that it wasnt going to be about actual chickens. grin

Granarchist Mon 11-Nov-19 08:54:15

me too re the Stubbs

annsixty Mon 11-Nov-19 09:01:39

I do know what you all mean but how I wish I had the energy and a painfree body to do lots.
Like Maw I was kept at home for years and now I have the chance I am unable to do much at all.
Mustn't moan though I do have my health, just "mechanical " problems and it is pouring with rain today so I am in the best place

Hetty58 Mon 11-Nov-19 09:14:10

A friend wanted me to go to a comedy club with her. I agreed (as she's such a good friend) but was absolutely dreading it - because she has a very annoying, loud, uncontrolled and over-the-top laugh. She'll still be rolled up laughing when everyone else has stopped!

Of course, I anticipated that people would be looking at us in amazement and I'd have to try to hide my embarrassment.

At the last minute, she couldn't go (family crisis) and, although all dressed up and ready, I was so, so relieved!

Greyduster Mon 11-Nov-19 09:36:54

Me too. I’m always glad to have a quiet day in. We tend to have to deal with tight clusters of social obligations - I can’t understand why everyone can’t space things out nicely to suit us, can you??

Urmstongran Mon 11-Nov-19 09:48:00

Social invitations are like buses - none around then two or three arrive together!

A rare, late cancellation does sometimes feel like being let off the hook though and can be quite liberating!

merlotgran Mon 11-Nov-19 10:01:44

Seeing as DH has come home from hospital with a C diff infection I've been able to 'chicken out' of everything other than trailing back to the hospital pharmacy for yet another course of antibiotics.

I love being at home but cabin fever is beginning to set in.

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 10:11:57

Bet it is merlot. I have had a mad couple of weeks - we even went out twice in the evening- that I was very pleased to see a fairly empty diary this week. Then.... a co-grandparent invited herself for a brew tomorrow and I'm booked for a school run on Wednesday!!

Really shouldn't complain, but.......

Urmstongran Mon 11-Nov-19 11:00:37

We run away to Spain and recharge our batteries!
Norty but very nice.
?

Splug Mon 11-Nov-19 11:05:35

Haha, yes, "the relief of not having to carry it through" - like when there are engineering works on the train line and travel becomes impossible. A guilty joy!

(Although - it's more often than not the things I'm least looking forward to that end up being the most enjoyable).

Pantglas2 Mon 11-Nov-19 12:03:47

I’m a bit like that Urmstongran! I find if I have two or three busy gadding about days on the trot I’m positively begging for a nesting day at home - with no visitors!

polnan Mon 11-Nov-19 12:25:34

I wish I had lots of friends, o.k. just a few that invited me out..

what invitations I do get, usually, I fear refusing I won`t be invited again.... silly me!

4allweknow Mon 11-Nov-19 12:28:17

Maw I so agree. I seem to constantly be going here there and everywhere. Having AC at either end of the country and in demand for school holiday cover; cover when the AC go on exotic holidays during term time; special occasion cover eg weddings away and if I just want to go visit I seem never to be at home. When invited to nights out usually in the nearest city 35 miles away and where good shows, galleries etc are on offer I am keen to go but then nearer the time the old thought of travelling, eating out and then getting home late creep in and I just want to stay at home. If I could just pop on a bus for a 20 - 30 min trip that would be marvellous but not to be. Oh the comforts of home!