Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(42 Posts)
12Michael Sat 16-Nov-19 06:13:36

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and wet here in Brackley this morning, plan to go out today on the buses , but also expect to encounter localised flooding.
A Chinese take away later , will choose when at home later.
Mick

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:28:27

Goodmorning Mick and all to follow.

It is 9.30am in Kenya and gloriously sunny, not sure what we are doing today.

Thinking of the *gillybobs"

This is the view of Mt. Kenya from our eldest sons garden.

Pantglas2 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:32:56

Morning Mick and all to come - I’ve been awake for hours!

Promising a glorious sunny day in Spain so will do loads of washing and a last food shop before going home to lovely Wales next Saturday.

Have a good day all especially those with worries big or small - hope there’s good news x

Pantglas2 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:34:38

Wow grannygravy13- you lucky girl! How lovely to wake up to that view!

Beechnut Sat 16-Nov-19 06:35:58

Good Morning everyone and a welcome to new people.

It’s wet and dark here on Severnside this morning.

I’ve just had my first cup of tea in bed as usual. A start to the day I enjoy.

I’m not sure what I will get up to today. I hope I shall not be as lazy as I was yesterday afternoon ?

Let’s hope you all enjoy your day whatever you do and thoughts if things aren’t so good.

Looking forward to reading Marydolls Morning tales ?

Beechnut Sat 16-Nov-19 06:37:42

What’s lovely view GrannyGravy.

DoraMarr Sat 16-Nov-19 07:21:16

Good morning from a very soggy Birmingham. It’s my eldest grandaughter’s birthday party today- she’s three. My daughter and son in law have hired a church hall and there will be twenty or so toddlers racing round. I am in charge of the craft table, making party hats, and my son is bringing his guitar for a sing-song. Later, I am having the party girl and the two and a half year old grandaughter for a sleepover. I’m not planning on doing much tomorrow!
I hope everyone with problems has a better day today.

cornergran Sat 16-Nov-19 07:27:47

Mourning Mick, morning All from our dry, cloudy corner of Somerset. Not sure what the day will bring, see what our friends want to do. Best get a wriggle on, need to think breakfast for everyone. That’s quite a view grannyg. Love to gilly and her husband, hope Saturday is kind to everyone.

kittylester Sat 16-Nov-19 07:36:21

Good morning all from a calm, dry North Leicestershire.

I was woken at 4pm by youngest dgd going to the loo and didnt quite get back to sleep. Dd2 and her family are here for the annual Loughborough Street Fair. Tge girls all meet up and take the children round. A family tradition dating back to when our children were small.

Dh is going with them but I am booked to help on an Alzheimer's stall at a diabetes fair in Leicester!

DD and co are then staying with DD1 so we will have a takeaway and watch Strictly.

Thinking of gilly and hoping everyone has a good day.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 16-Nov-19 07:38:37

Good morning from Fuerteventura, day is brightening but still a fair bit of cloud. The sun does seem to get up late here. Then again, back home we wouldn’t be wearing t-shirts and shorts. I’m at that point in the holiday when I have to think hard about what day it is - think it’s called relaxing. Hope everyone has a good day.

Marydoll Sat 16-Nov-19 07:41:01

Good morning Mick and all from a chilly Glasgow. I have been wandering about most of the night and feel like a half shut knife, as my mother would say.

Wow, Grannygravy, what a stunning view! As for Urmstongran and Pantglas, you lucky things! envy I need some heat.

We are off out early for our ‘flu jabs, I haven’t been well enough to get it recently. Fingers cross there are no side effects, but as I have previous…….

Well, Beechnut, not much to report today. wink
Yesterdays’ rheumatology appointment was a wee bit disappointing.
As my pain levels were high, my medication was increased yet again, this is the drug that I have been trying to locate recently and it makes me already. ?nauseous.
I persuaded my consultant to let me wait until after I came back from New York, before taking the increased dose, just in case something happens. As I said before, I have previous……..
Also he referred me back to to physio and OT, for some help with dressing etc.

What floored me was that he said I will need a hip replacement. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I never saw that coming. I just assumed that the pain was just the normal RA pain. However, he feels I have too much to cope with at the moment and is going to hold off the referral until I tell him I'm ready. He is such a kind man.

The biggest blow is that the RA appears to be also in my jaw.
What a catastrophe!!! How on earth will I be able to witter on inanely, and chat to passing, strangers, old people at bus stops, people in queues, babies in prams , waifs and strays, the binman, the postman, the delivery men (I know most by name) stray animals and anyone who is foolish enough to make eye contact? I

There was actually some lighthearted moments at the appointment. The consultant asked me to get on the couch so that he could examine my joints. Then he asked me to take off my socks, (my silver and black sparkly socks). However, I couldn’t bend my knee to reach my feet. I think that is when he sussed there was something wrong with my hip.
As there was no nurse available, he said he would take them off for me, but no matter how hard he tugged, he couldn’t get them off, (he thought he would like a pair like that, as his keep falling down), then he couldn’t get them back on again . The two of us were giggling away, while he was trying to pull my socks back on, anyone coming into the room may have jumped to the wrong conclusion! ?

With difficulty I tried to put my boots back on, but my hands were too painful and I couldn't reach my feet. Since the clinic was running late, I said I would get my husband to help. There I was in the waiting room, with my feet on chairs (tut, tut, no manners) and my husband trying to put the boots back on. I was beetroot with embarrassment. If I hadn't been so vain, I would have been wearing sensible boots with velcro straps. (Haven't got any) I don't think they would be a good look with leather trousers. wink

The waiting room was jam- packed, I wish I had had a camera to capture the look on people’s faces. They were politely pretending not to notice this mad, old lady, (with her new chic hair cut and £15 purple Sainsbury’s sale, fake faux fur coat) causing a stooshie (commotion) in the waiting room. DH was doing his excellent imitation of Queen Victoria, he certainly wasn’t amused and I of course couldn’t stop laughing as he huckled me out of the waiting room.

On a more serious note, wishing all those with family troubles, sorrow and pain, hugs and prayers.
As always thinking of Gilly and her husband.

dragonfly46 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:42:14

Good morning, hoping it stays dry here in Leicestershire.

Going out to brunch this morning with DD and DH. I suspect my SiL and dog will turn up later as he doesn’t like being without DD for long.

Beautiful picture GG your DS will not want to come home!

Looking forward to hearing about Mary’s lateast exploits and of course praying for Gillybob.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Nov-19 07:45:22

Good morning all from Northampton where for once it is not raining.
Had a lovely meal out last night with the neighbours, there were 12 of us so the staff were kept busy! We could not fault the food or the service and of course the company was excellent!
I am making the Christmas puddings this morning, and then will have a lazy afternoon watching European rugby on TV.
What a wonderful view GrannyGravy!
Hoping that all have a good day.

dragonfly46 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:46:20

Mary even in the face of adversity you never fail to make me laugh. I do hope you get to New York and have a wonderful time.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Nov-19 07:47:56

Good Morning All x

Just about getting lighter here. Appears dry at the moment so far as I can see as I let the cats out so will decide whether to attempt some washing. I don't half get through some towels in a week. Shouldn't I be slowing down with everything ? Including food ? Not on your nelly !

A whizz round the local shops as I don't need much mainly a top-up of cat food until Tuesday. It's the old stray one that I feed outside that makes a difference as he no longer eats the cheaper cat food since sampling what my cats eat. Not daft !

I won't be venturing far because of more parcels expected as my neighbour is away who takes them if I'm not in. Glad Christmas is only once a year as I go into hermit mode waiting for deliveries. I should worry !!

The thought of Mick's Chinese made my stomach rumble so I'll have to settle for crumpets. Enjoy it later Mick.
I don't quite know what's on the menu for today-----though carrot and orange soup seems to be favourite up to now.

Hope everyone enjoys their day plus the Gillybob's are never far from my mind xx

Ginny42 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:47:57

Good morning Mick and everyone. It's rained here in Cheshire overnight, but it's a clear sky now. Had a very disturbed sleep so this is my second visit to GN this morning. I have become very involved in the care of a sick friend and worry that she really needs to be in a home with 24 hour care. Went to take delivery of her new washing machine and very pleased with the efficiency that was installed and old one taken away. Dealt with her shopping and explained to the carers what food I'd bought for the weekend etc. Arrived home to find her DD had sent me a huge bouquet of roses, all shades of pink and red. It made me cry.

Nothing exciting, but I must go and buy some new pans. I know that will include a visit to a couple of nice boutiques nearby.

Love to Gilly and her DH. To everyone with worries big or small, hope you have a better day. Enjoy Saturday whatever you may be up to. xx

desjumeaux17 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:53:57

Hooray I have my computer back, after the new pup knocked coffee over it. Not a good idea to leave coffee cup and computer together, even for a second.

Its dark and damp here at Whitley Bay. but its not raining so a good walk with the dog is definitely on the cards. I am trying to reach 10,000 steps a day with my new fitbit watch.

Have fun

Ginny42 Sat 16-Nov-19 08:01:04

Marydoll you are a tonic! You must be in a lot of pain yet you see humour in every situation. They tend not to do hip replacements for no good reason, so you are clearly very stoic about your discomfort. Love the socks. I have some similar with sparkly snow crystals on them.

Take good care of yourself.

Wonderful view grannygravy. One you will never forget. Thank you for sharing.

vena11 Sat 16-Nov-19 08:15:40

Good morning from a damp Bristol.
Not much on for me today, joints very sore always worse with the wet weather so just a bit of house work.
I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday.
As always I am thinking of gillybob

aggie Sat 16-Nov-19 08:22:00

Morning All , lovely crisp morning here , we are going on a visit to a nearby park , it involves a Fairy Door trail and coffee and cakes , youngest GD will lead the way .
Marydoll I had the same problem with socks before I got my new hip ..... just saying ! Now my excuse is my tummy getting in the road ?

Yiayia4 Sat 16-Nov-19 08:22:34

Morning all, dry and looks clear today.
Marydoll I so relate to the socks and boots I need a shoe horn but of course you can't really take it out with you.You have such a have a great attitude and I hope you get to The Big Apple.

Showing DIL Hampton Court today,we only live a couple of miles away but being a northern lass she's never been.

Love to the Gillybobs and hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Nanabanana1 Sat 16-Nov-19 08:23:26

Morning everyone very grey here in Torbay this morning,
Not a lot going on today, doggie walk then see what the day brings.
Good wishes to everyone xx

Grammaretto Sat 16-Nov-19 08:33:06

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Looking bright and sunny for a change.
I'm meeting a NZ lassie for coffee at the craft fair this morning.
Marydoll you crease me up. I can't get the waiting room vision out of my head, esp the sparkly socks!!
GG what a view!
I hope y'all have a good day and Gilly thoughts and hopes are with you. Xx

love0c Sat 16-Nov-19 08:34:01

Morning everyone. Thank you so much for all the 'hello's' yesterday! Looks quite a nice day here today. Cold but sunny. A good day for a brisk walk.

NfkDumpling Sat 16-Nov-19 08:34:30

Morning All

High cloud here in Norfolk and it’s not supposed to rain this morning so I’m intending to hang the washing out.

DH is still languishing with a cold so we won’t be going far. Perhaps I may even get those rotting hosta leaves cleared up.

Hopefully the brighter weather is a good sign and things will look better too for all in dire straights - especially the Gillybobs.

(And thank you Marydoll - love your ‘blog’)