Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Thu 21-Nov-19 06:13:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but it looks dry for a start this morning.
Yesterday, I did manage to buy Lenny Henrys new autobiography call " Who am I , again" it is a signed copy as well, so for £20 well worth it.
Today , bus trips out to Bicester via Buckingham and reverse journey , my usual café stops in Bicester around 12,and then getting back to Buckingham at about 2`ish for another coffee , I then sit out waiting for the bus back home just before 4.
Mick

Beechnut Thu 21-Nov-19 06:48:51

Good Morning to you all.

Dark and dry on Severnside.
Enjoyed my time in the garden yesterday. I got a tad chilly though so had a lovely hot shower.

Pottering this morning and u3a this afternoon.

Another better day post from gilly yesterday let’s hope they keep going that way.

Have the best day you can everyone ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:03:28

Good morning everyone ?? I hope you're keeping warm.

I have the boiler man out at 8am to re-calibrate the heating - it didn't come on last night. Run has been put off for that reason.
It'd dry here in Godalming and not really cold but does start to get parky after 4pm.
M&S food later and I will put a mix in the bread-maker shortly, something robust with seeds I think.
My trip to Reading with friends at the weekend looks likely to be scuppered by the vagaries of the weather but hey-ho, it' s November and to be expected, meantime I will ring yo make an appointment to have my hair cut, coloured and some pampering for pre C glam.
Nice to read that 12Michael managed to get the book he wanted although £20 is a bit steep.
I buy mine from Amazon for pennies and they are often overstock if hardback copies.
I bought one about and signed by Monica Lewinsky and one by Gilbert & George in Moscow (artists) which was signed by both.
I have others and paid (£5 max incl p&p)
It's a book graveyard.
Well, I must 'put a wiggle on' as the saying goes.
I hope everyone, especially Gillybob, Marydoll, dragonfly46 and others feeling the strains of life, have the best day they can and life continues on an upward curve.
Take care and keep warm ??☕
BFN ??

kittylester Thu 21-Nov-19 07:06:17

Morning all from a very chilly, but dry, North Leicestershire.

As it's Thurday (again!!!) it's a trip to the butcher's and Sainsbury's while our cleaner puts the house to rights.

Dh and I are still suffering the after effects of bad cold so spend most afternoons sitting reading, binge watching tv or doing the crosswords- its driving us bonkers.

Hoping that marydoll has also sat down a lot! And, feeling a little more hopeful for gillybobs and sending love as always.

BlueSapphire Thu 21-Nov-19 07:06:41

Good morning all from still dark but dry Northampton. Hoping it stays that way as I have a hair appointment this morning!
Turned out to be a lovely day yesterday so ventured out on another health walk around our nearby woods.
DD and I then enjoyed a lovely evening with our wine club ladies, tasting Pinot Noir.
Hoping to get to a talk on living with eczema after lunch (I get the occasional flare-up). Then pick up DGD from school.
Hoping to hear better news from Gilly again.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:06:53

It'd, yo It's, to

Ginny42 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:07:14

Good morning Mick. Glad you got the book you wanted. It's good to have a hobby and you seem to enjoy collecting things.

Hoping for another lovely day in Cheshire, although it was very cold yesterday. Painting group this morning and it's always a lovely way to spend the morning. Lunch with a friend, then hairdresser's, shopping then home.

Must then search for a physio who does home visits for my immobile friend to get her up and walking, as I fear that is her last chance of walking again.

Heartening news Gilly. Hoping the recovery is now underway. Credit to that medical team and to your love and courage. flowers Get well wishes to all feeling under the weather.

Enjoy your day everyone. x

Brunette10 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:13:24

Good Morning to all and to those who follow. It's still dark here in Fife but I think it's damp. No matter it's Thursday, have my haircut this morning then DH and I are off to see friends for lunch and catch up, in otherwords a good old blether. Hoping gilly's DH is progressing even just a tad, it will take time. I'm not on normally so early so nice to read everyone' s post precisely. Hope everyone has a good day and thinking of all with problems and worries. Take care.

Sar53 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:28:39

Good morning everyone from a cold Essex by the sea. I'm on my own as DH has been away overnight in York for a business conference, he's due back later this evening. I shall sit and drink my tea and read my book for an hour or so.
I shall pop into town later and have a look round, may buy something if I see something I like.
I heard from my youngest daughter yesterday evening that their new, very expensive boiler had stopped working and that they were cold. I think the plumber was visiting this morning. I don't think they were very Happy!!!
I hope anyone with worries or illness finds some respite today especially Gilly.
Have a good day everyone.

TheReadingRoom Thu 21-Nov-19 07:29:50

Morning one and all from Mid Wales. Not a good night due to my hip replacement wound playing up [only done a week ago] So sitting with my bum next to the radiator and waiting for my pain killers to kick in smile The joys of arthritis....
Nothing planned for today so will potter about, do my Physio exercises and wander around t'internet from time to time.
Have all a good day.

ninathenana Thu 21-Nov-19 07:30:41

Good morning everyone.
I haven't opened the curtains to see the weather as I'm reluctant to leave my bed. We have no heating ! We have hot water but cold rads. Luckily we have electric fire in lounge.
Will be calling our plumber friend soon.

Marydoll Thu 21-Nov-19 07:32:43

Good morning Mick, Beechnut and all who will post by the time I finish typing my novella! wink.
It's 4°C/39°F (For the benefit of Rufus) and very damp.

It's a day in for me today, papa will do the nursery run, yesterday tired me out somewhat!
Yesterday's outing to Glasgow was very enjoyable, despite the manic crowds and long queues. It's only November, for goodness sake.
I did take everyone's advice and instead of my usual visit to just about every shop in the city centre, I only went into Primark, took one look at the queues and retreated. I did however, accompany DH to all the menswear shops. sad?
I think I should be elevated to sainthood for all my patience, understanding, permanently fixed smile and determination to get a new jacket for him. grin.

Just about to give up, I thought of TKMaxx, (my favourite shop, as Old Goat and Jangran will testify from the Edinburgh meet ups.)
Surprisingly DH agreed. Well, I am a fully trained and certificated rummager of bargain shop rails and I spied, what I thought was the perfect jacket for him.
DH reluctantly tried it on, then his face lit up, it was a great fit. However, when I looked at it, I saw it was a Canada Goose, make , my heart sank, as I knew they were the best and extremely expensive. I knew Mr Scrooge would huff and puff, but I looked at the price and it was £80, much less than we expected to pay. (I'm beginning to wonder if it was wrongly priced ?

By the time we left the shop, he had picked up even more items, I couldn't believe it, unlike his spendthrift wife, he is definitely not a shopper.

The hospital boot fiasco was repeated. I spied a pair of sturdy boots, tried one on and it got stuck, half on and half off. I didn't have the strength to pull it, the shop was mobbed and DH had an armful of things.
Then I couldn't get my boot back on again. blush. What a palavar. Why do I never learn?

When we got home I looked up the website, a similar jacket was over £900!!!! It is a genuine Canada Goose, the best bargain ever and DH is a very happy bunny!

We had a lovely Chinese lunch before going home, where I promptly fell asleep.

The best part of the day was that I survived with only one angina attack. That is a huge boost to my morale.

Glad to read more positive news from Gilly and for those on here with worries and pain, (there are many) I hope today is a better day.

( NanKate, I have sent you the PC screenshots, hope it helps)

Pantglas2 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:33:43

Morning all from a dry but grey Spain- not sure I’ll see the sun again before I go back to Blighty on Saturday!

Off to the gym soon then some last minute shopping/banking this morning before catching up with The Crown this afternoon- two episodes to do!

Hope all with worries have some good news coming x

Marydoll Thu 21-Nov-19 07:35:55

Welcome TheReadingRoom, you will find we are a friendly bunch.
I hope you feel better as the day goes on. It's early days yet after your op.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 07:37:24

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s chucking it down! It’s 12°C so it’s mild enough, but still.
?

The weather forecast shows it’s like this all day (heavy showers) and tomorrow. It was cold yesterday and rained from midday so we had the little electric heater on and stayed in - just a takeaway pizza ai 8pm from across the road!

So, (sorry!) no plans. Potter. My hair could do with some highlights to bring it up to standard a la Gabriella and Ginny! Must make an appointment ....

Hope Thursday (wot already?) is good to us all - especially gillybob Marydoll and dragonfly - whether we have any plans or, like me, none. x

cornergran Thu 21-Nov-19 07:39:49

Morning Mick, morning All from a dry, chilly corner of Somerset. Forecast is for storms later. Perhaps a good thing plenty to keep me occupied indoors with a huge list of ‘stuff’ that needs doing. Suspect more patience will be needed kitty, Mr C is still coughing, I’ve lost count of the weeks. There seem to be a lot of heating issues about, hope everyone is warm again soon. Love to gilly as ever, hope those who should be resting are doing so and Thursday is kind to everyone.

loopylou Thu 21-Nov-19 07:48:22

God morning everyone from a rather gray Wiltshire.
I'm catching up on housework today ? and then making another attempt to do a list for Christmas shopping (still have 9 birthdays to sort out before Christmas too ?) and to persuade DH we need a day's shopping. I would do online but seeking inspiration!
Have a lovely day everyone.

Lins1066 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:51:49

Good Morning all. Glad you had your book Mick.
A cloud and pink streaked sky here on S Welsh coast, it is very windy.
Welcome to * TheReadingRoom*. Hope you feel better soon.

Have persuaded DH to go to the local NT this morning as our cleaner will be here with me. He is a volunteer researcher on their website. Also he has offered to call in M&S to buy food, I have done a list, though he is known to go 'off piste'.
Glad you enjoyed yesterday Marydoll, that was some bargain.
Hope all have a good day. Best wishes to all those struggling for whatever reason. Thinking of gilly

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:13:17

Good morning it is fortunately dry in Leicestershire.

Going to try and go out to meet friends for coffee this morning. I am so bored with this looking after myself malarky. Hopefully I am going to feel better for the next couple of weeks til the next treatment so normal life can be resumed.

That’s a great bargain Marydoll. No heard of the brand but sounds good. My DH is a walking advert for Rohan. My heart sinks when they have a sale!

Praying for continuing improvement for Mr Gillybob

Greyduster Thu 21-Nov-19 08:22:45

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Dry but dull in South Yorkshire this morning. Food shopping for us - the cupboard is bare! We are supposed be going out this evening but it’s all a bit up in the air at the moment, so we shall see.
Hope things are looking up for Gilly. Have a good day, folks.

harrigran Thu 21-Nov-19 08:24:52

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Not a lot on today but must do a big food shop as GD will be coming for the weekend tomorrow.
Thinking of gilly and hoping for continued improvement for her DH.

NannyJan53 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:28:40

Good morning from a very dull and grey Black Country.

Had a day at home yesterday, ironing, housework and made a lasagne for the freezer. As we were eating our Spag Bol last night I suddenly felt very sick, and couldn't eat any more. Still feel a bit 'off' now.

Partner is working from home today. So I will have to be quiet smile

Will need to sort out the spare bedroom, as my friend from Lincs is coming to stay tomorrow.. We are going to meet another mutual friend Friday for lunch. This friend has no idea she is coming over, so will be a big surprise for her.

Welcome to the thread TheReadingRoom I hope you improve as the days go on.

It is always good to find a bargain Marydoll you may find DH will be shopping more in future!

Love to gilly we are all rooting for you flowers

Nannytopsy Thu 21-Nov-19 08:35:15

Good morning Mick and all who follow. Sunny and frosty in Suffolk. We are off to the Bury St Edmunds Christmas fair today, with lunch in town. It’s a huge affair plus a farmers’ market and I hope for present inspiration!
The car let me down yesterday on the junction right in the middle of the village. Some fencing chaps pushed me out of the way and the AA came remarkably quickly. It was a flat battery but needed replacing not just charging. At least it is done now!
Hope everyone has a good day.

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 08:35:16

Good Morning All x
Breezy cold and grey this morning, but has remained dry. I can feel that nip blowing over the Irish sea when I put my nose outside to let the cats out. We're wide open here to the cold blasts.

After me getting mixed up last Thursday with my INR date, it's definitely this morning so I'm hoping it's steady. If so, I've been managing on a reduced dosage for the past 6 weeks or so and that'll be good if it's the case. Hope so.

I can't imagine Marydoll keeping still for 5 minutes. I have to admire the way she gets around and about, but a pause would be good now and again especially with the angina.

When I spoke to D about my stiff legs, she told me to walk round the block every day,hahaha, yeah ! Sympathy ? Pffft.
Apparently she had to buy a new boiler and had it fitted on Monday so her reason for not having called or phoned. I might just see her today.

I'm finally learning after all these years ( only because the weather's colder ) that I don't need to spend a fortune at Asda every week. Next Tuesday it will be 3 weeks since I was last there and my bank balance is amazing ! Instead of bunging more food in the freezer on top of what I've already got ! I've used up what's there to make meals----how clever is that ? (Rolls eyes ) Each week I've been spending has been enough to last me a month ! Ah well. I just feel shame at having been extravagant. sad Mince today.

Breakfast now and a quick wash.

Hope everyone remains well now that it's getting colder and good to learn that the Gillybob's aren't now in that black hole they were 7/8 weeks ago. Things can only improve now xx.

Enjoy this new day whatever you do.

Yiayia4 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:39:59

Morning all dry here but maybe rain later.
Appointment with my doctor went well,will be seeing a different rheumatologist within 6 weeks and have better pain relievers so feel I'm getting a bit more help.

Love TK Max Marydoll always find a few bargains always good for Christmas gifts.Dragonfly hope you fell better very soon.

So pleased Gilly is giving us better news and hope it continues,sending healing thoughts as always.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday.