Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen

(133 Posts)
Dottynan Sun 24-Nov-19 18:30:31

Mr Corbyn considers when the Queen completes her reign it would be an appropriate time to call it a day and have an elected head of state.

NanKate Sun 24-Nov-19 19:04:24

What a plonker JC is. Long live the queen.

Chewbacca Sun 24-Nov-19 19:06:13

Is it his decision to take?

BlueBelle Sun 24-Nov-19 19:08:49

Was that reported in the Daily Mail ?
I think Corbyn like him or loathe him has been the most misquoted and lied about man of all time

Ilovecheese Sun 24-Nov-19 19:13:48

Where was this reported?

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 19:22:44

It is not his decision to make.

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-Nov-19 19:23:06

He's been saying that for over a decade, no idea why it's come up again now.

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 19:25:50

Oh I do see that he says it 'requires improvement'.
You could say that about everything!

That sounds like a school report:
"Requires improvement"
"Could do better"

Ginny42 Sun 24-Nov-19 19:41:40

They are trying to smear him. Corbyn and Johnson were both asked by Julie Etchingham during an election debate if the royal family is fit for purpose following revelations over PA’s relationship with convicted sex offender Epstein.

Corbyn said, "It needs a bit of improvement," Johnson on the other hand said, "the institution of the monarchy is beyond reproach."

Judge for yourself in the light of PA's choice of friends, who was nearer the mark.

Anniebach Sun 24-Nov-19 19:52:08

Pity Corbyn didn’t have the decency to shut up at such a time when the Queen must have been in turmoil,

3 marriages , quite a record

Ginny42 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:00:09

Does Corbyn's 3 marriages in any way relate to the state the RF are currently in as a result of PA's activities? He was responding to a serious question in front of thousands of people. What should he have said Anniebach?

'Well, as I've been married 3 times, I can't really comment on the state of the Monarchy?'

Anniebach Sun 24-Nov-19 20:11:22

He could have been more tactful, and the monarchy is not in a state, one son of the monarch is not The Monarchy .

Seems some are quite joyful that a mother has to cope with such turmoil .

Calendargirl Sun 24-Nov-19 20:17:41

BJ’s answer was spot on.

Bridgeit Sun 24-Nov-19 20:43:48

Why would we want to put so many people out of work by getting rid of the Monarchy,?
Why would we want to lessen the amount of visitors that visit parts of the U.K. because of the RF ?
I’m sure there is room for improvement but it’s not a one way street .

grapefruitpip Sun 24-Nov-19 20:48:25

I agree with him .

ayse Sun 24-Nov-19 20:49:31

I reckon the monarchy and attached pageantry brings in a substantial amount of earnings from tourism. I used to be a republican but I’d rather have a constitutional monarchy as head of state than have to pay for another politician to lord it over us. A slimmed down monarchy seems like the best option. Trump has certainly finished off any republican sympathies I held in the past.

Anniebach Sun 24-Nov-19 20:52:58

And they do much for charities

suziewoozie Sun 24-Nov-19 20:53:21

This thread is based an absolute lie. The OP should be ashamed.

suziewoozie Sun 24-Nov-19 20:54:48

And do should anyone who believed it. It’s a lie a lie a lie a lie

Chewbacca Sun 24-Nov-19 21:01:05

Sorry suziewoozie; it's a what?

Gonegirl Sun 24-Nov-19 21:21:09

a lie. So she says.

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 21:21:39

I'm a bit deaf, got blocked ears
Can you shout please suziewoozie

ayse I tend to agree.
I've never been a republican but never a sycophant either, rather a 'realistic royalist'

A political president would be a disaster for this country and a non-political head of state would be an insignificant damp squib.

Most people worldwide admire our monarchy even if some in this country do not.
I can understand people having a jaundiced view after recent events but I think it is far more important than this sacked royal.

suziewoozie Sun 24-Nov-19 21:21:40

So OK let’s back to this particular thread. Dottynan what you posted is simply not true. Did you know that.? If so do you think that’s acceptable? If you thought it was true, where did you get the story from?

suziewoozie Sun 24-Nov-19 21:22:57

Nice that some posters ignore the lie or think it’s funny.

Bridgeit Sun 24-Nov-19 21:24:25

You can look it up Suzziewozzie.