Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you cut down on buying Christmas presents?

(73 Posts)
JenniferEccles Thu 28-Nov-19 14:03:32

I ask as I watched Martin Lewis the other evening talking about how so many people get into serious debt in January.

Of course we all want to buy for our families but it’s very easy for the list to grow and grow isn’t it?

I used to buy for friends but for the past few years we have stopped and we are all relieved at having a few less to think about!

I am sure there are still lots of folk who are worried sick about the expense of it all.

tanith Thu 28-Nov-19 14:11:00

We started a Secret Santa 4 yrs ago for the adults and it’s worked really well and taken a great weight off.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Nov-19 14:13:24

I haven't, because I've never bought for all and sundry anyway.

Just my grandchildren now.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Nov-19 14:15:14

I still give exactly the same to my children and grandchildren and four best friends won’t change now

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 14:16:00

I'm still buying a main pressie for everyone. Cutting down on all the small stuff though simply because I cba.

sodapop Thu 28-Nov-19 15:01:59

We only buy for children and grandchildren now. So much easier as they are all older now and have specific things in mind or would prefer cash. As Gonegirl said we have cut out all the small stuff.

GrannyLaine Thu 28-Nov-19 15:04:27

I haven't so much cut down but I think carefully about spending sensibly. I tend to buy smaller value gifts these days, but with great love. Because of my wonderful Mum and Dad, I have such happy memories of childhood Christmases. My own children are forming their own traditions so that their children in turn feel the love and magic of this time of year.

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 15:06:01

A few years ago I realised that I mostly have lots of acquaintances and very few actual friends. As we mature through life, extended family priorities change.

I now concentrate on the friends and family who are genuinely interested in me and who I enjoy being around.

NotTooOld Thu 28-Nov-19 15:10:05

We stopped a few years ago and now just buy for the grandchildren, or give them money once they are older. I'm relieved not to have the hassle.

Luckygirl Thu 28-Nov-19 15:16:42

Every year each of my AC and their spouses get a joint present, which is a photo book of the year with all the things that have happened in their family - children's birthdays, nativity plays, holidays etc. I go to a print company that does 50% in November - they arrived today and I know they will love them.

I do not spend much on the GC - about £20 each.

crazyH Thu 28-Nov-19 15:20:29

I only buy for family - some money as well. They may as well have it while I'm still here.

Grandma70s Thu 28-Nov-19 15:20:32

I and my friends gave up buying presents for each other ages ago. Then two or three years ago we decided within the family to give only to the children. It was just getting silly, with everybody stressed, and we are in the lucky position of having most of what we want already.

I now manage to get stressed trying to think of presents for my two grandchildren and two great-nieces!

Alisue Thu 28-Nov-19 15:21:12

Iv just about finished the Xmas shopping, it’s been a tiring task. So iv now made up my mind to give the older grandchildren money next year, and give the smaller grandchildren’s money to their mums so she can get them exactly what they want. As for the expense it seems to get more each year. I would like to read your views on what age do you stop/ or don’t stop buying gifts or money to you grandchildren.

agnurse Thu 28-Nov-19 15:35:08

My mum draws Secret Santa names for the adults - herself, my dad, and all of us AC and our partners (except for my sister and BIL, who sadly are estranged). There's a $10 limit. Hubby and I still buy prezzies for my parents even if we don't get their names. I buy for my niece and nephews.

We don't really do much for Hubby's family, simply because we live in Canada and they are in the UK. I do ensure that when we have gone to visit them we have brought some things, often things that I have made (I like to sew).

SusieB50 Thu 28-Nov-19 15:40:06

We started Secret Santa for all the family adults a few years ago and it works well . Very liberating ! Stopped buying for friends too by mutual agreements. Prior to the Secret Santa we had a £5 limit but that was very time consuming as we are a large family . This year we aren't together due to DH ill health and DD and family taking a well earned holiday to Potugal . DS and family hosting father in - law. We also will not be seeing my sister and family or my brother .So we have decided to skip Secret Santa too this year . I will give my adult DC some money to help with cost of holiday and doing Christmas and presents to my DGC . Feel a bit sad as it will be the first Christmas on our own ,without a large gathering in our mother's house . But if I'm really honest I could not cope with it anyway this year

Nonnie Thu 28-Nov-19 16:15:51

No, I love buying presents for my family, it gives me pleasure. They used to tell me I overdid it but have now accepted it is something I enjoy. I still send cards to people who say they are giving to charity instead of sending cards because I wish them well and want to say so. I don't expect anyone to reciprocate, I do it for me. On of my AC discovered a few years ago that he loved to choose the right present for the right person and now enjoys it as much as me. He is better at it than me! I even get presents for the waif and stray I have never met who they bring for Christmas. A different one each year. Of course I wouldn't spend more than I could afford and most of it is on the gc.

Daisymae Thu 28-Nov-19 16:34:46

Well I said I was cutting down last year, and did a bit. Only buy for AC, partners and the GC. That's 9 in total but everyone he gets about 3 gifts. Ok this is starting to sound like a lot! I am going to cut down next year. Probably.

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Nov-19 16:36:36

Yes and No.smile

We are a small family with 3 little grandsons.

We give money to our AC for birthdays (which are both just before Christmas) and also Christmas.
They then have the choice to buy larger ticket items in the January sales.

However we do buy presents for our three grandsons.
Which fall into the categories of toys/game from Santa letter.
Something to read and and something(s) to wear.

So we are actually buying more presents now than we did a few years ago (before grandchildren)

We have a day out or meal with my sister.
Send two high street voucher to my cousins children

Don't buy for friends.

Sending some Christmas cards although not as many as in previous years,
but that's probably down to the sad demise of quite a few relatives and friends.
Now that DH has retired it has thankfully become his job to write and post.

MamaCaz Thu 28-Nov-19 16:36:47

Yes, we have cut down.

We only buy for the grandchildren now, and don't go over the top even for them - they have enough tat already, without us adding to it, and their parents think likewise.

JenniferEccles Thu 28-Nov-19 16:37:16

I always find stocking fillers the most problematic. After all it’s difficult to find anything much under £10. The main presents somehow seem better value even though they cost more.

I like the Secret Santa idea and I love what Luckygirl does with photos of memorable events over the year. They really would be something to treasure for years .

I may copy that idea so thank you ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 28-Nov-19 16:40:58

We did a secret Santa last year but it wasn't entirely successful as three brothers still wanted to buy for each other which was rather sweet.
This year it has been decided that we'll only buy presents for children under 18 and there are only two in number - so a bit miserable I think.
However, it'll be cheaper and Christmas isn't about spending money, is it? We'll still have a good time with family.

DoraMarr Thu 28-Nov-19 17:10:46

Yes, I have. This week my youngest daughter suggested that we have a limit of £20. This is such a good idea. I usually spend around £150 each on my four adult children, plus around £50 on their partners, and about £50 on the grandchildren, so it is a big saving for me! I bought each of the grandchildren one present, none of which were £20, and I am buying cinema vouchers for each married couple, around £40 each, and I think I might just give my single son some money. We are all lucky to be comfortably off, and I spend money on the grandchildren through the year, so this has been a good idea. I can now make a nice donation to a vulnerable young people’s charity my friend runs.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:13:09

My sister and myself have said just £10 each. What a blimmin’ headache! I simply haven’t got the imagination to get something original and fun. This year I have put her money with my BiL’s plus a bit more and bought some really expensive chocolates. Made in Hove for F&M? doesn’t look much though? I can see me adding to it.

bikergran Thu 28-Nov-19 18:25:21

Yes deff have cut down this year(grandson won't be too pleased)

But!!... we decided that if poss we spend more on birthdays.

I would rather say...spend £50/100 on a birthday which is personal than spend that amount at Christmas.

But!! if money was no object, I would be very lavish.

Sara65 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:27:31

I have six grandchildren and I spend way too much, but I love them, and I love to spoil them.