Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(59 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 06-Dec-19 05:44:18

When I told my wife I'd traded our bed for a trampoline, she hit the roof!
G'Day everyone, yet again.! smile Bright and early; if any insomniacs wish for an earlier opening for someone to chat with, just say so.
I was rushed off my feet yesterday; never seen so many tea/coffee drinkers in one place. But worry not! We will always have hot mugs of your favourites to bring a smile to your frozen lips. smile
Years ago it was "cuppa tea/coffee please"; now there's a complex manual on a whole list of variations; "Earl Grey , English Breakfast, Flat White , Latte, Cappuccino, the list goes on and on! Good job we haven't any Niles Cranes!
Anyway it's interesting to see how the other half lives and to note the increased sophistication of dining preferences.
It's been a pleasure to have been of service and I'll have fond memories to sustain me in the dole queue. sad
Btw; I hope Mick hasn't been shanghai'd by some Belle of B'mouth! hmm
OoRoo

ScotinOz Fri 06-Dec-19 06:14:51

Good evening Rufus2 make mine an extra hot flat white please! It has been quite warm in Sydney today but the smoke is very bad here in our suburb. At least we have no fires near by, just the smoke. Our thanks go out to the emergency services!!

Have been out most of the day Christmas shopping. Now sitting down with a glass of red....

Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Take care....

Ginny42 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:25:26

Good morning Rufus and thank you for opening the shop whilst Mick's swanned off to sunny B'mouth! It's dark and my phone tells me it's a balmy 12C outside in Cheshire. I'm back in bed with a mug of English breakfast cha.

So to today's plan. Not a happy one I'm afraid, so I'm painting a not so nice image of the old country! I am accompanying an old friend to a care home for respite and she's unhappy. This is because carers cannot be found even though she is paying. The company doing it so far has run out of staff through sickness and resignations. However, she will be cared for until after New Year, when I hope to have found a private carer.

Before that a walk in the beauty of the woods with my neighbours who always cheer me up and later, going to meet my lovely sister for shop and natter. This will undoubtedly involve more tea, possibly Assam, and definitely cake!

Have a good one.

kittylester Fri 06-Dec-19 06:42:00

Morning all from a damp North Leicestershire.

Thank you for stepping into the breach Rufus.

Some last bits of Christmas shopping this morning and then school run in Derby for me today.

DoraMarr Fri 06-Dec-19 06:52:10

Good morning from Birmingham, where it is still dark, although I can see a faint red glow on the horizon. My plans changed yesterday, after I phoned my daughter in the morning to find her very unwell. I drove to her house, put her to bed, with the baby, called the doctor, then left her with her husband, who came home from work, and brought my two year old grandson here. She is now on antibiotics and feeling a little better, and my grandson is still sleeping, so I am having a quiet cup of tea. My three year old grandaughter will be here around eight, and at lunchtime we will be going to a children’s concert by the CBSO. It’s a long time since I have taken two toddlers on the bus, so I hope they are good!

Beechnut Fri 06-Dec-19 06:53:54

Good morning everyone.
Dark and wet, fine rain that is blowing about in the breeze.

A food shop today. I came home yesterday, looked in the fridge and I had three eggs, a swede and a pot of yogurt!

This afternoon I plan to make a start with my decorations.

I hope you all have a pleasant day whatever you do

Beechnut Fri 06-Dec-19 06:54:14

Forgot my flower ?

Newquay Fri 06-Dec-19 07:02:55

Good morning all-just having my first cup of decaf tea. Woken with start of a head cold-oh no!
Lovely to hear from folks all over-so sad and scary about fires in Sydney.
Thanks to Rufus for starting thread off-v entertaining!
A good day to all esp Dora with two toddlers on the bus! You using a pushchair? Reins invaluable too I’ve found!

dragonfly46 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:09:08

Good morning, third chemo today but fortunately I have written all my cards, bought my presents and got my tree up.

Hoping for good news from Gilly and that Marydoll got home safely.

Brunette10 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:13:46

Good Morning to all and to those who follow. It's dark and damp here in Fife at the moment, like yesterday no idea what the weather is going to be for the day. We have our DGS's today so a busy day ahead of us. Xmas is drawing very near andalthough I do have a lot done I still feel this anxiety to do lot more. Ginny42 a sad day for your friend I hope everything goes ok. Beechnut good luck with your decorations. For everyone else here and following have a good day. Thoughts are with Gilly and DH.

Resurgam123 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:21:35

Good Morning All.
I hope Mick is enjoying Bournemouth.
Cold and dark in Cheshire

Ginny42 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:21:50

Beechnut do you remember there used to be a programme where someone took a few ingredients to the studio and a chef made a meal? I think they would have been seriously challenged with your eggs, a swede and a pot of yoghurt.

Forgot to send a Friday message to Gilly earlier and now warm wishes to you dragonfly. Newquay get well soon and Dora enjoy the concert with your DGC. They will be excited.

Lins1066 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:28:07

Good Morning fro the S Welsh coast.
Very wet and windy here, been raining all night.
Take care of yourself dragonfly.
Hope all have a good day and to those with pain and worries ?
That was Ready,Steady,Cook Ginny42

BlueSapphire Fri 06-Dec-19 07:31:23

Good morning Rufus and everyone from a very wet Northampton. Sitting with a cup of extra strong tea, but will have my skinny cappuccino later when I get to the M&S cafe.

May start writing my cards this afternoon. My priority are the ones to Oz, to late DH's cousins in Brisbane and Port Douglas, which need to be in the post soon. They came over for DH's funeral last year, for which I was very grateful, but his mother's side of the family had always been very close. I hope to get over and visit them at some time.

DS came round and got the decorations down from the loft yesterday, for which I am very grateful. In future I shall store them in the garage, so I won't need to trouble him.

Hope today goes well dragonfly, and that everyone else's day does too.

Curlywhirly Fri 06-Dec-19 07:32:17

Good morning all. Will be busy today getting decorations from loft and putting up the tree. Picked my 5 year old granddaughter up from school yesterday and she said " oh can't wait, it's nearly weekend !" Yes I said, only one more day at school. She looked at me and frowned, " no, it's not that, I'm excited because you said that you were going to put your tree up this weekend!" Bless, I'd forgotten just how excited little ones get when they see a Christmas tree! Hope the Gillybobs are doing well and that Marydoll managed to get back in one piece ? Have a lovely day everyone.

NanKate Fri 06-Dec-19 07:43:23

Morning All.

It seems slightly warmer here in South Bucks.

Off to the dentist today to have a post put in my gum ? in readiness for an implant. I’ve had to do a lot of saving for this but my lovely dentist did one for me some years back and it is still rock solid.

Looking forward to hearing that Mick has enjoyed his Bournemouth holiday. It’s a lovely, but very busy, seaside town with very long sandy beach.

Looking forward to hearing about Mary’s eventful trip home.

Hoping for improved news from the Gillybobs. ?

cornergran Fri 06-Dec-19 07:45:27

Morning All. Thanks to rufus for holding the fort this week. It’s dark, wet and windy in our corner of Somerset. Looking forward to meeting new people at a GN meet-up this morning if poorly granddaughter is well enough for school. Truly weary after the last two days and very pleased to be back in my own bed last night. Love to gilly as ever, look after yourself dragonfly, looking forward to hearing about marydolls trip home. There seem to be a lot of poorly people about, get well soon and hope Friday is kind to everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:46:36

Goodmorning Rufus and all x

Wet and still dark in SE Essex!!

Off to GS"s school this morning for Carols and Christmas Crafting tchsmile

Marydoll have you recovered from your time "across the pond"?

dragonfly I hope your chemo session goes as well as can be expected, take time to rest and be waited on flowers

Hopefully gillybob will post today, flowers

annsixty Fri 06-Dec-19 07:52:15

Good morning all from a cold and dark Stockport.
Being taken out shopping today ,what a nice change especially as lunch out will be included.
Special good thoughts sent to Dragonfly today and to all not well or looking after others not well.

Beechnut Fri 06-Dec-19 07:55:20

Yes Ginny I remember that programme.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Dec-19 08:01:01

Good Morning All x.
I think it's dry out, so dark I can't make anything out yet. The cats are still out so that indicates dryness. It's not cold.

I took a chance yesterday by going into the village when expecting deliveries, but I hurried around everywhere and knew what I wanted so was able to scurry back just in time to receive a couple of parcels from the mailman. Phew ! I hate having rush around shops.

I'll have another good old shop and a mooch next week and hopefully finish off before the onslaught.

Some tidying/hoovering to do today but not much else.

I'm hoping my family in Sydney are alright and coping with the smoke as SiL doesn't cope too well in a bad atmosphere. They're in the suburbs and I keep thinking of the zoo not far from them which is heavily laden with trees----as well as all the animals of course. Not such a nice Christmas for them all. My D was worried about the drought when they were here in June.

Good to learn that Dragonfly is battling on and getting on with life, you brave soul x
Also hope the Gillybobs are doing the same xx.
Anyone else with life's struggles I hope things improve. Everyone enjoy the day whatever you do, or don't do.

Mamo Fri 06-Dec-19 08:02:26

Good morning, everyone, this looks like a very friendly place to drop into now and then, though the regulars all seem to know each other very well so I hope I’m not intruding or sitting in anyone else’s chair? I’d love a big mug of strong tea please, after a restless night. Dark but dry here in Wicklow and glad to have a day off work, as the GP surgery where I work is out the door busy these days. Heading to a choir practice this morning followed by a catch up with an old friend in the city. Daughter who lives in London is over for a few days so hoping she’ll take care of dinner. Have a good day, everyone!

Lins1066 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:13:03

Welcome Mamo

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Dec-19 08:27:51

Good morning everyone,

Welcome aboard, Mamo. You are certainly not intruding - it's always nice to have new posters and we've had a few join in this last month or so. You'll soon recognise who is who. ?

It's not so cold this morning, but it is grey and breezy. I much prefer the brighter weather.

Dragonfly, I hope all goes well with the chemo today. Thoughts too, with gilly and her DH. ??

I'm expecting DH home later this morning. He had a works "do" last night so stayed overnight (he normally comes home Thursday evening if he takes a Friday off). I hope he had a good evening.

I managed to finish writing all the cards last night, but I bet I've missed someone out, I usually do, despite going through the address book. ?

Here's hoping that you had a reasonably uneventful return from NY, marydoll and that the trip was all you hoped for. I'm looking forward to reading of your adventures shortly! ?

Have a good day, all, and to anyone feeling unwell, I hope you feel well very soon.

Greyduster Fri 06-Dec-19 08:30:27

Good morning to all GNs. A dull grey morning again in South Yorkshire. Dentist for me this morning. Check up, but will I get a clean bill of health today? Fingers crossed! Hope your chemo goes well today Dragonfly?. Hope Mr Gillybob is making progress. Have a good day folks.