Gransnet forums

Chat

Sign of things to come?

(54 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:13:12

There is a field close to where I live where various political parties have placed their election posters/banners. This is how they looked today:

Labour - nowhere in sight
Green Party - banner blown away
LibDems - posts leaning dangerously close to the ground and some posters blown away
Conservative - post solidly upright and posters firmly in place

nanaK54 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:27:53

grin

Nico97 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:58:11

grin

Anniebach Mon 09-Dec-19 17:02:10

?

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 17:03:26

We have noticed in our area that fields vote Conservative and houses vote Lib Dem and, occasionally, Labour.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:16:15

The Conservative signs outside three houses in my road have been defaced.

mumofmadboys Mon 09-Dec-19 17:59:56

At the last election someone put a Vote Labour poster in the local Conservative Club window!

EllanVannin Mon 09-Dec-19 18:21:19

There's nothing round my way which indicates that a GE is nigh. Nobody's knocked either.

Anniebach Mon 09-Dec-19 18:29:21

The most amusing I saw when campaigning, not for this election, was Conservative posters in Downstairs windows and labour posters in the bedroom windows, in the home of a husband and wife

Barmeyoldbat Mon 09-Dec-19 18:32:19

Annie, just come back from Ponty and Taff Wells and I noticed nothing but Labour Signs in the gardens.

BradfordLass72 Mon 09-Dec-19 20:07:34

Is it significant that these signs are in a field?

Or is it nearere to the grass roots?

You may remember, "all around the grass roots", as Mrs Thatcher used to say, "are the worms" grin

sunseeker Tue 10-Dec-19 07:03:36

Similar situation regarding the Lib Dem posters where I live, the wooden posts to which the posters are attached have mostly fallen down. There has been no contact from Labour or the Green party. The Conservatives have been very visible and active.

Sara65 Tue 10-Dec-19 07:09:56

I have yet to see a Labour poster anywhere, a few liberal ones on town, and hundreds of huge Tory ones, when you get into the countryside.

Nothing new there.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Dec-19 07:32:08

No banners here at all.

Going a few miles down country lanes there are a couple of Conservative signs in farm houses

No canvassers here either

It's as if the election isn't happening.

Jane10 Tue 10-Dec-19 07:40:03

We've had LibDem letters, flyers and even phone calls. They seem pretty desperate around here. One Tory leaflet, one SNP and no Labour materials at all.

Auntieflo Tue 10-Dec-19 08:32:49

We have been inundated with LibDem leaflets around here.
A couple of Labour ones, and from the Conservatives, nothing, until the weekend, when there was a pertinent/nasty (depends on your view) leaflet re:- our Conservative member John Redwood.

Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 08:37:06

Barmey. As much chance of Ponty and Taff Wells turning Tory as Merthyr , and Merthyr has been Labour since
Keir Hardie ?

Calendargirl Tue 10-Dec-19 10:12:20

Conservative posters, seen a few on main roads, fields, we are in a safe Tory seat.Have had a letter from Boris asking for my postal vote a while ago, also flyers from Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dem’s. Think only other party putting up is Monster Raving Loony.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 10-Dec-19 10:18:41

Your Tory candidate has obviously been busy during the dark hours, I would imagine.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Dec-19 10:24:05

During a GE many moons ago, a teenage friend of my DDs arrived with a truck load of posts with Tory posters on that he had removed from the local fields around about in the rural area where we live. He set about substituting them with Lib Dem posters and set off merrily to replant them - naughty boy. He did get caught by one farmer!!!

Happygirl79 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:31:54

If only the parties put as much effort to contact the voters when in power
We only hear from them when there is an election

Emerald888 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:37:45

Not many posters up but loads of letters sent. One from Boris and our Tory MP yesterday. Lots of leaflets.
Only canvasser was a young , naive Labour supporter. Full of promises. No clue how to pay for them. Promised lots of new jobs in green industries to save the environment.
My daughter was a nurse at the Leeds Infirmary . Said a child would never be left on the floor. Not allowed. Was a shortage of beds due to flu outbreak and norovirus. wards have to be shut and quarantined. Parent was holding the child and laid him down on floor.

CosyCrafter Tue 10-Dec-19 10:42:27

I like the title of this post and wonder if the point is not about who is advertising here but about the conservative post being upright and in place........hmm meaning they are better!
If so, I would be worried, once it is in how long will it take to get rid of it? It might spoil that field for years to come just like many other things under tory rule, if it gets old and vulnerable will they ignore it? if it can't work any more will they leave it out in the cold? If the landowner changes his mind and does not want it anymore, will he be allowed to?

eazybee Tue 10-Dec-19 10:48:42

*If only the parties put as much effort to contact the voters when in power
We only hear from them when there is an election*

Not even original. Someone said that about our local MP: never holds any surgeries, can't contact him.
He was surprised to open his front door two days later to find the MP, list in hand of all the surgeries for the past two years plus the places they had been advertised, and the question: What is it you need to see me about, how may I help?

harrigran Tue 10-Dec-19 10:59:37

The green party candidate lives opposite me and his house is falling to pieces, garden is a jungle and creepers growing through the window frames. Until a couple of months ago he was driving an uninsured, untaxed banger with no MOT.
We have had pieces of paper put through the letterbox telling us how wonderful the labour party are but we see no evidence of it in our town.