Gransnet forums

Chat

I miss the profiles

(56 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:01:26

Sometimes when I read a comment from someone it would be incredibly useful to know their age group ( not an exact age but something like 50's or 70's or even 20's ) and even whereabouts in the world they are.

It would help me understand where they are coming from and from what era and understand their point of view better.

I know most of us opted out of profiles when the press started naming posters as they lifted quotes from the site ( and I'm not even sure if you CAN have a profile now) but does anyone else see where I'm coming from and either agree or disagree?

If you disagree , would you share why so I can try and understand the pros and cons?

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:04:15

Me too.

Bring back profiles. Don't need to say much. Just age, height, weight, hair colouring, inside leg measurement etc etc.

Just bring em back.

callgirl1 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:04:58

I agree N&G, I loved reading everyone`s profile, Soop`s was an eye opener, the biggest photo collection on Gransnet!

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:07:09

Yeah, well, I wouldn't want them overdone. hmm

NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:07:28

or even their police arrest file would work Gonegirl grin

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:07:42

No photos. That just gets down to showing off.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:09:10

NanandG I'm not answering that. shockgrin

dragonfly46 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:10:31

There is a thread similar to this with ages, heights etc. It was started by Urmston about a month ago and I think Marydoll is working on a spreadsheet.

NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:10:41

No I was thinking more along the lines of ...I live in England/Scotland/ USA . I was born in the 50's/ 60's/ 70's

NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:12:47

That made me chuckle Dragonfly , I'm thinking then it might correlate that short people are angry or tall people are rude …. {grin]….and for the sake of peace I'm sure short people aren't angry and tall people aren't rude smile.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:16:37

It's such a pain to have to search for Urmton's thread. And then you've got to find the individual poster.

Its nice to know the age of the person who's post you're reading.

And we do get some US grans too.

SalsaQueen Thu 12-Dec-19 17:20:13

NanaandGrampy I'm short (5ft 1) and I do get quite angry grin. I'm 60, live in Nottingham

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 17:21:56

Salsaqueen you need to put that on every post you make now.

BlueBelle Thu 12-Dec-19 18:20:31

I too miss them they don t have to give anything major away just simple details but having an idea of area can be as simple as north south east west or the country and the decade maybe number of grandkids

kittylester Thu 12-Dec-19 19:08:10

I loved them, too. They weren't compulsory and could be kept private. These profiles were 'attached' to your name dragonfly and could be accessed by clicking on the 'profile' button.

nanaK54 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:10:45

Another vertically challenged person here - however I am rarely angry, all about peace and love really smile

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:25:55

In case anyone is interested, I'm a fat, old Aquarian living in a raupo hut in the foothills of the Waitakere Ranges.

I have no idea what I weigh and care even less but I'm 5ft7ins (that's tall, not round) and my default programme is furiously angry at all times, with a very few moments when I feel calm - if I'm paid enough....and can get hold of that waccy baccy.

I have absolutely no sense of humour; hate all animals except, dogs, cats, donkeys, aardvarks, armadildos, goats, elephants, giraffes, mice, cows, pigs, sheeps and llamas.

I love snakes (although not the human kind) and can just about tolerate alligators as long as they don't talk too much.
My favourite animal is, of course, the shrew.

My mantra is Mens sana in corpore sano which as everyone knows means; "Men in corporate positions have no sense".

I have spent most of my 72 years 11 months reading improving literature (my mother tells me I could read the Telegraph & Argus at 2 years old) and my favourite authors are those two brilliant classicists Mills and Boom.

My bank balance flourishes at a healthy 7/6d.

I play American Football, my position is Offensive Linewoman, what else?

Most of my working life has been spent in corners and behind boxes gossiping.
Sadly, with no one to gossip to this has resulted in a number of personnel officers telling me (quite reluctantly I feel), "We'll have to let you go," but as they failed to tell me exactly where , I spent some time in their carparks fighting with the security men trying to prevcent me doing my gossiping job.

Although come to think of it, that wasn't all bad, quite thrilling in fact. I remember one bloke.....no, best not go into that, he's still in rehab.

I'm an avid recycler so have chosen to leave my body not to science, so passé but to Acme Compost Inc., so in a few years time, I may be the reason your prickly pears flourish and your radishes have bite.

MerylStreep Thu 12-Dec-19 19:31:35

Kitty
Yours is the only photo I remember ?

MamaCaz Thu 12-Dec-19 19:38:48

BradfordLass72

That has really made me laugh grin

kittylester Thu 12-Dec-19 19:45:05

MerylStreep - I dont even remember which it was - was it a good one?

Marydoll Thu 12-Dec-19 20:10:45

The only one I remember is Greyduster. It was her beret, I admired. grin

MerylStreep Thu 12-Dec-19 20:23:25

Kitty
It was a head and shoulder shot. I think you had on a red jumper with a scarf. You looked lovely.

Chestnut Thu 12-Dec-19 20:26:18

I think an avatar would help visually identify the posters, as it can be very confusing with so many names having the word 'Gran.....' in them. Also nice to see the person's approx age and gender, and their country, England, Scotland, Wales, USA etc. Any more than that would make identification possible. I just think people don't necessarily want all their friends and family identifying them as they may post stuff they don't want them to see.
PS: for gender maybe have male, female and other. The BBC says there are 100 genders but it would just be too difficult to cope with!

kittylester Thu 12-Dec-19 20:53:38

Thank you meryl that is the only one!! grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 20:56:31

BradfordLass you have set the standard now for profiles ! ??