Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas trees ethical or not?

(33 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:40:58

Is it still ethical to cut down a tree just for a couple of weeks pleasure?

Septimia Fri 13-Dec-19 09:46:38

Good question. I suppose any that are cut down or dug up will be replaced so that there are more for the future, but it will take a while before they grow big enough to capture much CO2

kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 09:55:10

I've mentioned on another thread that we are renting this year. It goes back to be grown on and then we can have it again next year!

It is due to be delivered today - I'll let you k ow how it goes!

MiniMoon Fri 13-Dec-19 09:58:49

Conifers grown as Christmas trees are a crop, they are grown specifically as trees to be cut.
It takes about 3-4 years to germinate and grow a tree large enough to be planted out, and about 10-15 years before it's ready to be cut as a Christmas tree.
They are not grown as carbon capture trees.

I'm not worried about Christmas trees. It's the lack of trees in New build housing estates that annoys me.
Are there any guidelines for building firms about planting trees?

QuaintIrene Fri 13-Dec-19 10:04:42

They can be recycled for compost if they aren’t rooted to be planted again. My sister always has a real tree and the scouts take it away for 5 pounds to a garden centre where they use the composted trees for growing.

Greyduster Fri 13-Dec-19 10:44:58

I’m not worried about Christmas trees either - I understand that many of them are recycled for biomass fuel in the New Year. I do agree, though, with Minimoon about new housing estates where you don’t see a tree in any of the landscaping. There is one going up bordering where we live. Two hundred houses and no room for trees.

Witzend Fri 13-Dec-19 10:57:47

They are a crop like any other. Small saplings will be planted in their place, and incidentally fast growing trees like these use up a lot of CO2.
And after Christmas so many are recycled into something useful.
So no, I don't think they are at all unethical.

4allweknow Fri 13-Dec-19 11:00:24

No worries about Xmas trees, they are grown for that purpose. Did though two years ago submit to buying a plastic one. Just felt paying £40/60 was too much then for a real one and they are going up every year. Figured the plastic one will do for 10 years so not single use. Also real ines do need transportation from ground to home and then again for recycling. All adds up.
I do miss the real pine smell though

Plunger Fri 13-Dec-19 11:24:48

We bought a potted one around 6 years ago and have looked after it since then. It is now a little too big for inside so I have put it next to the front door with lights on ( on a timer ). Not only a bargain but environmentally friendly.

sweetcakes Fri 13-Dec-19 11:44:45

Kittylester love that idea rent a tree, if I'm not being nosey how much please?

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:02:59

Yes kitty i must look into rent a tree - sounds like a great idea.

pinkquartz Fri 13-Dec-19 12:35:48

Pine grows very fast.
I had a tiny Xmas tree given as a gift years ago, replanted into my front garden.
It is now huge and going to be too close to the building in another couple of years.

25Avalon Fri 13-Dec-19 12:42:05

I have had the same artificial tree for the past 22+ years so I have saved a good few trees from being chopped down.

Mollygo Fri 13-Dec-19 12:43:36

Looking at this may help you make up your mind. We sing it every year. tchsmile
tbes.wpusd.org/subsites/Robyn-Harp/documents/5th%20Grade%20Lyrics/The%20Christmas%20Tree%20Feud.pdf

Mcrc Fri 13-Dec-19 12:47:38

Think of the families you are helping to support in the business. They are a crop and harvested that way. Next we will think if it is ok to harvest wheat.

olliebeak Fri 13-Dec-19 13:19:31

Oh dear - my mind is now TOTALLY befuddled tchconfused!

Have an artificial one and keep re-using it year after year (as I currently do, to save money, and avoid single-use-plastic / land-fill) .................
OR
support a local Christmas Tree Farm with my business each year and then send for composting (via the local Scouts - to help them raise valuable funds). Very Public Spirited and eco-friendly but oh-so-expensive ....................

Decisions, decisions ..........................tchsad

grandtanteJE65 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:33:24

Well, I still buy a tree every year. They are grown locally, so I am keeping people in work. The scouts collect them after Twelfth night and take them to be turned into wood-chips, so the youngsters are learning to be responsible for the environment.

timetogo2016 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:40:01

I won`t be buying a cut Christmas ever dragonfly46 .
Were supposed to be planting more trees not chopping them down.
I suppose some could buy one that can be planted in the garden after Christmas roots and all.
Iv`e never heard of renting one? how interesting.

kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 13:50:52

Renting a tree!

We got it fairly locally, its 4'6" (this year!) Cost £35 plus delivery. It is a nice even shape and came with a 'barrel'.

I wish I had ordered a slightly bigger one (we usually have 6ft) but wanted to out it in a different place this year. It looked a bit silly so it is back in the usual place and is too small really. But, that's our fault not theirs!

Phloembundle Fri 13-Dec-19 13:51:11

When Woolworths was closing down I bought a grow your own Christmas tree kit. Over the years I have nurtured them, gave some away, have two in the garden, one of which I decorate each year. They take so long to grow, I couldn't buy one unless it had roots.

cupaffull Fri 13-Dec-19 14:20:28

Soz I''ve come into this late but am panicing to get a decent pot grown tree approx 3-4ft and would appreciate any leads x

Theoddbird Fri 13-Dec-19 16:24:16

My Christmas trees are potted....they are potted on as they grow. They are sitting outside and have lights on...a group of 3. All different sizes.

Youcantchoosethem Fri 13-Dec-19 17:13:43

I run countryside & environment, woodland and horticulture courses and can confirm that trees in their first five years take on at a faster rate more CO2 than at any other time in their lives. If they are disposed properly and composted then it is an extremely friendly option. Most tree growers plant more trees than they harvest each year.

Most certainly better than purchasing a plastic tree, however if you already have a plastic tree then use it as long as possible to not impact the planet further. If you have the space of course having your own planted tree is also an excellent option. Hope that helps.

Lilyflower Fri 13-Dec-19 18:02:43

My DH, a former publisher, says that many fast growing trees are used as crops to make paper. The same goes for Christmas trees. As long as you plant new ones, you’re fine.

Perhaps the question is really, ‘Is it ethical to be Puritanical about Christmas.’

BlueBelle Fri 13-Dec-19 18:19:28

I ve had my fake tree for years and years it’s a nice white so looks bright with my mauve and light blue baubles on it I d love a real tree but I can’t justify an extra £30 plus each year just for me to look at