Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(45 Posts)
12Michael Sat 14-Dec-19 06:17:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , it has been wet but looks dry at the moment .
Slight change of routine today, thanks to a Xmas Carnival in Buckingham which messes the buses about.
Today, bus to Buckingham , then X5 to Bicester , have a coffee and savoury hot item.
Then get the local S5 or an X5 into Oxford , going to visit a micro pub in the covered market , I will then get a S4 to Banbury , then home.
Had a pancake lunch yesterday in Banbury, there is a Dutch pancake called " Little Amsterdam "had a savoury pancake plus a frikkadel starter with curry sauce , mayonnaise , and chopped onions , then a treat in the Deli side a bottle of Dutch curry sauce ,and one of mayonnaise Dutch of course.
Mick

Iwastoldtheredbecake Sat 14-Dec-19 06:26:29

Good morning Michael, it’s a blustery and damp morning in Truro, took the dog out earlier and it was lovely to see the cathedral lit up, we might get some Christmas shopping done later, but might stay indoors with the Grandchildren and keep warm, out tonight to Charlestown for an early Christmas meal and then driving back home on Sunday. Hope you have a great day, keep warm and may all of your buses arrive on time.

Beechnut Sat 14-Dec-19 06:36:57

Good Morning everyone.
Damp again on Severnside.

Off to do my food shop this morning as I didn’t get it done yesterday owing to errand running.

A tidy up and sort some stuff out this afternoon then make a nice meal and hopefully watch the dance final.

Let’s hope your DH is home soon gilly and accept all the help you can. Don’t worry about Christmas. It is you two that are important.

Hope you all have a good day ?

Susan56 Sat 14-Dec-19 06:46:41

Good morning from Shropshire.
We have our two daughters and families coming over today.They are having a photo shoot this morning,then lunch here and then visiting Santa this afternoon.
We have just had a phone call to say our 16 year old great nephew was taken to hospital in the early hours.He has felt unwell for a couple of weeks but has kept going to school.He is having various tests and a CT scan at 8am to rule out a brain tumour.We are feeling so upset and just praying for good news.
Sending good wishes to all with health and family worries.
I hope you managed to talk to your husbands consultant gilly and things are improving and that he will soon be home.x

Ginny42 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:11:26

Good morning Mick and everyone from Cheshire. That sounds like a well planned manoeuvre Mick! Hope all goes to plan for you.

The moon was so bright earlier I thought it was daylight, so have been up for a while reading. I have a number of calls to make collecting parcels my DD has ordered prior to her trip to the UK. How else would Santa get here for my DGS? The 'big' pressie hasn't arrived yet so she's nervous.

News about your great nephew puts a few things into perspective Susan. When push come to shove incidents like that make me think about what's really important in this life.

I missed the good news about your DH Gilly but I hope things go according to plan. Hugs. To all with worries or sickness, take care.

Lins1066 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:16:25

Sorry to hear about your grand nephew Susan but he is in the best place to get help. Hope you receive better news soon.

It is a dry start but very windy on the South Welsh coast. Some of the boats in the harbour are decorated with Christmas lights it looks very festive.
Wishing everyone a good day.

Kalu Sat 14-Dec-19 07:17:23

Good morning Michael and all to follow from a very windy, wet Glasgow with very high winds forecast for later in the day.

Plan today was to put outside lights around a tree in the front garden but I think I will give it a kiss today in case they are blown away ?

I have been laid low with a rotten cold, sleeping on and off and now my sleep pattern is so much off kilter I didn’t sleep at all last night! Can’t sleep too much today as I want to get back to normal. Whatever that is ?

Hope everyone has a pleasant Saturday.

Positive thoughts to gilly and dragonfly

Kalu Sat 14-Dec-19 07:19:54

I will be giving it a miss. I don’t make a habit of kissing trees?
Lack of sleep brain??

NanKate Sat 14-Dec-19 07:22:00

Good morning Mick and All.

I love the covered market in Oxford Mick.

Clear and cold in South Bucks.

Off to a Christmas Gospel Concert today.

Hope you get improving news Susan. Ginny I believe Gilly said she felt her DH would get better care at home as some of the staff do not appreciate the nature of his illness.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 14-Dec-19 07:26:31

Good morning from east London, still quite dark outside, dry for the moment and not much wind. Things to do in the house today although to DP’s despair, I’ve started on the jigsaw DD give me for my birthday. Bit of grocery shopping to do and off tonight to a talk at the News from Nowhere club where I’ve never been before but a friend is giving a talk on Victorian music hall so looking forward to that. Have the best day you can.

Greyduster Sat 14-Dec-19 07:34:37

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Dawn is just breaking in South Yorkshire, promising what looks to be a clear day, but that is not what the forecast says. There is a light frost on the car. Enjoy your day Mick. I’m another fan of Oxford covered market (and Dutch mayonnaise!). DH is away to football this afternoon so I will make a start on our packing for next week, or at least piling stuff onto the spare bed!
My good wishes to all who have worries today.

Urmstongran Sat 14-Dec-19 07:35:06

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s damp and dark. Kettle’s on. Had to set my alarm as we are nipping over to mind our granddaughter for a couple of hours. Mummy has a hair salon appointment and daddy is taking the grandson to his football game. It’s saves her having to be in the cold!

They have a lovely cafe round the corner to them which has a play kitchen. We can walk round and she can push her favourite dolly in the toy buggy which she loves doing.

What a worry for you regarding your grandson Susan56 I hope the scan is normal and he recovers soon.

Your day yesterday and again today sounds really interesting Mick. Hope it keeps dry for you.

Hoping for more good news of progress from gillybob and that Saturday is kind to us all whether we have plans or none. x

Urmstongran Sat 14-Dec-19 07:37:56

Sorry Susan56 - great nephew not grandson.

kittylester Sat 14-Dec-19 07:42:00

Morning all from a very chilly North Leicestershire.

A busy day in the Lester household today. Parcels to collect, brunch to cook, keys to drop off, cards to deliver and post, christmas decorations to finish, a friend's 70th birthday tea to attend and then Strictly! It wont all get done but i will definitely get to the tea party!!

gilly, I hope you get your dh home soon, but only when he's ready!!

susan that is worrying news - please let us know what happens.

Enjoy your day today Mick

Brunette10 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:42:51

Good Morning from a dark and wet Fife. Have a very busy day today and not feeling great either, just a head cold and sore throat but slows you down a bit. Mick your day sounds fun, enjoy. Susan sorry to hear your worrying news, sending good wishes for your DGS and family. Off to see Panto today with DD and DGS1, first Panto for him so hope he likes it. Hope today is good to all, thinking of those with worries and problems. Keep your chin up.

mancgirl Sat 14-Dec-19 07:47:27

Morning all from the airport. Just having breakfast and the sun is shining through. Not sure it will be the same in Manchester! Supermarket trip this afternoon. I'll pop in Marks for tea, not cooking on first day back and I want to watch strictly? Must get the tree decorated at some point or I'll have missed Christmas! 3year old gs is coming to help (?). Be wonderful to see him. Hope everyone has a good weekend, hugs to those with troubles.

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:49:09

Good morning everyone, it looks promising here in Leicestershire so may go for a walk later after a trip to Waitrose to pick up a JL parcel.

Your trip to the Dutch cafe made me homesick Mick. I bet they do Croquettes and Bitterballen.

I hope your great nephew has good news today Susan.

Love to Gilly as always. It sounds like soon your DH would be better off at home. I do hope the care he is getting improves.

mumofmadboys Sat 14-Dec-19 07:50:13

Still lying in bed hut must get up soon! Neighbours coming for meal tonight (9 altogether) so must get organised! Have a good day everyone and special thoughts for Gilly and her DH.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:50:40

Good morning Mick and all x

Enjoy your day Mick, I am rather partial to Dutch mayonnaise and frikkadelas.

Dry and cold here in S E Essex, food shop this morning. Then I really must finish my Christmas Gift wrapping, I have left all the “fiddly” things till last.

Thinking of gillybobs, dragonfly and all others with “problems” flowers

Keep warm and safe

Yiayia4 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:00:52

Morning all dry but grey here in Surrey.

It was indeed Friday 13th! We had a phone call from DDL at 10pm,the dog had collapsed and DS was at his office party.
Luckily we live about 10mins away so got him to the vet very quickly,it seems he had some sort of fit and after a few hours recovered but will need tests done to find out why.Grandsons were very upset but hopefully he will be o.k.

After all that drama a quiet day is called for.
Hope you get some better news Susan and Gilly you get DH home soon.
Have a good Saturday everyone.

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:06

Good morning from another dull and grey Black Country

Had a lovely buffet lunch yesterday with my Monday Walking Group. Then dashed over to DD's to meet DGD4 from school. Her sister is 11 and comes home from Secondary school on the bus. Then I took them over to Mums where we had a fish and chip supper. Then she taught them how to play Patience.

Today I suppose we really should make a start on the Christmas Decorations. Getting them out of the loft will be a start smile

SIL is still in Hospital, no definite news what is wrong, although apparently he had a mini stroke when going through a procedure on Wednesday. It is all so worrying.

Susan such a shock about your Great Nephew, I just hope they can find out what is wrong and he will be back home soon.

Thoughts are with gilly Dragonfly and anyone else health or other worries.

Grammaretto Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:29

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Still dark as we journey north. A few snow flurries last night.
I hope you all have a good weekend and that mr Gillybob continues to make progress.

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:32

Hello and good morning from Northampton where it is dry, but windy.

Had a great meet-up with ex teaching colleagues yesterday, about 15 of us, and a table groaning with goodies! Not only have we all now retired, but our school closed during the re-organisation of the school system here about 10 years ago, (we were a middle school, all of which disappeared), and we have done wonders to keep in touch. To my eyes, we all looked the same, no older!

Have to go out this morning, which wasn't planned, as I forgot to pick up my medication yesterday - ah well, an excuse for a coffee out!
Then an early meal this evening, and out to DD's Christmas band concert. Amongst other seasonal music they are giving a performance of The Snowman.
Shall miss the rugby on TV, (Saints play Leinster in Dublin), but I shall record it.

Hoping all goes well today for everyone.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Dec-19 08:05:25

Good morning all,

There's a bright moon still shining in the sky and it seems to have stopped raining for the moment, though the window still looks very wet. The strong wind and rain battering on the bedroom window woke me at 5am, but I did manage to drop off again until about 7.30am, so came down for a nice cup of tea.

Your day yesterday sounded nice, mick. Hope the bus service isn't too disrupted for you today.

DH and I put the trees up yesterday, so everything now looks festive. I've pottered about all week putting other bits out, but need DH to help me get the trees out of the garage and string the lights around them so had to wait for him being home from work and as he had a day off yesterday, we could tackle the job at leisure.

Thinking of gilly and anyone else with worries or ill health. Take care.

cornergran Sat 14-Dec-19 08:18:48

Morning Mick, morning All from a very wet corner of Somerset. Oxford indoor market was always on our pre Christmas visit list when we lived close by mick. Enjoy your day, hope the buses cooperate. Not sure about the shape of today here, need to venture out at some point, would prefer not to have to paddle. Good wishes to you and your great nephew susan, we heard yesterday a young friend has cancer, it will be a few days before a treatment plan is shared, life’s hard sometimes. Sending love to gilly, I hope the consultant can improve your husbands care. Thoughts are with anyone with worries and hope Saturday is kind to everyone.