Gransnet forums

Chat

Amusing surnames lighthearted post

(195 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:22:13

I will start by apologising as don’t want to upset anyone, it’s really a lighthearted post, but I have to smile when I hear certain surnames, in the town where I grew up we had some funny ones namely lol excuse the pun, Gotobed. Bearcock . Bowcock. Babcock, Higginbottom .the funniest was two males one was Ivor Wright and the other Ivor Whitehead honest to god it’s true,

TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:24:06

I also went to school with a Richard richards

fatgran57 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:51:44

Years ago we had Dr Smellie (scottish name I think) who lived in Hogg Street!

Friends of ours later purchased this house, by then it was a rectory.

This is in Tasmania by the way.

rosecarmel Mon 16-Dec-19 00:59:23

Hurlingham smile

welbeck Mon 16-Dec-19 02:35:12

there was a dental surgeon called Dr Fang. honestly. I saw the brass plate in his front garden.

also I once worked somewhere where Mr Freshwater was in charge of public lavatories. took a bit of persuading when callers asked who was responsible.

by the way have just googled and found at least 2 dr fangs who are dental surgeons, one in California, one in Finchley.

annep1 Mon 16-Dec-19 03:14:37

Mum had a friend with surname Fullalove.

gmarie Mon 16-Dec-19 03:31:50

At 17 I was a teacher's aid in a first grade class and one sweet little 6-year-old was named Tammy Screws. I distinctly remember feeling dreadful thinking about how much verbal abuse she would surely receive from the kindness-challenged as she got older.

Framilode Mon 16-Dec-19 06:26:15

When I was working we had a client with the surname Clisshole. Juvenile I know, but it always sent us into fits of laughter.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Dec-19 06:29:24

I was in a maternity hospital with my first child, the consultant was a Dr Aldous Balls known by the ‘girls’ on the ward, waiting for our babes, as ‘old conkers’
This is totally true, don’t some parents ever check the Christian name with the surname perhaps the generation before ours didn’t have the same use of the word balls

Oldandverygrey Mon 16-Dec-19 06:41:13

My sister Olive married a Mr Green

Nortsat46 Mon 16-Dec-19 06:41:59

Framilode, it’s 6.35am, it’s dark outside, I am still in bed, thankfully my partner is downstairs ... and I am in fits of giggles about your clients called Clisshole.
I can’t even type the name without giggling ... I think I must have the emotional maturity of an 8 year old.
Also, if there are any Clissholes reading this, I sincerely apologise.

Nortsat46 Mon 16-Dec-19 06:45:18

Bluebelle now I am actually crying at Dr Aldous Balls ...
(I am so grateful I am alone in the room).

Grammaretto Mon 16-Dec-19 06:46:18

When my dentist retired his replacement was a Mr Ow
(Dr Au)
Time to change.
He was Chinese and very kind but the practice had gone private - the real reason - but the name helped my choice.

Bernieellen Mon 16-Dec-19 06:48:15

There were two lads at school, Nicholas Wally and Michael Pilcher.

CocoPops Mon 16-Dec-19 07:01:50

A lawyer called Rupert Bear.

Marydoll Mon 16-Dec-19 07:37:57

The name Smellie was quite common in our town, but to be fair, it was pronounced Smiley.

downtoearth Mon 16-Dec-19 07:41:40

Rubin Mycock I kid you not was the name of one of our clients...
I had to hide whenever he appeared.

SpringyChicken Mon 16-Dec-19 08:00:45

I worked with someone whose surname was Beaglehole

BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:05:49

Yorkshire has a lot of great names.

The Headmistress of our primary school was Mrs Winterbottom/

The local Anglican vicar was Rev Arden Constant.
Do you know, it just didn't click at all until I was 45 years old when my mother said something about dodgy names and mentioned his.
I suppose I was so used to it, the dodginess passed me by.

The lovely man who injects Avastin into my eyes every now and then is Dr Squirrel.

A Senior Lecturer at one of NZ's leading universities and a woman I've worked closely with is Dr Cat Pause.

Cumberbatch is just a little funny and in my own family, one of the boys changed his name by deed poll because his surname was causing him genuine distress - it was Nutter.

Not too far away from Nora Batty

Being a keen herbalist from my youth, I like Culpepper; very apt.

Poor old Max must have become used to By-graves.
And one of my first boyfriends was John Under-wood.

When I was 8 years old, a Miss Clattworthy showed me how to make miniature dolls furniture from old matchboxes.

I'm going to lower the tone because my friend in Canada sent me this info and it's too much to resist.
A man named Popadick from Mooney Bay, was arrested for indecent exposure. grin

TrendyNannie6 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:11:15

I went to school with a girl named Nicola Tipple the boys rearranged her name and called her Ticola Nipple she was relieved to change her name when got married,

ScotinOz Mon 16-Dec-19 08:11:53

When I worked, we had to go out to the waiting room and call the clients by name. (I live in Sydney). Some of the 'foreign' names were very hard for my Scottish tongue to pronounce. However, the worst name was Mr UFUK....especially as I started laughing ??

Also, our financial advisors name is Lillycrap!

Lins1066 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:25:03

I remember two pupils I taught one called Owen More, the other was Heavenly Best.
There was a boy in my infants class called Maldwyn Mackie, it always amused me, no idea why, wonder where he is now.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Dec-19 08:42:27

----Can't see for laughing !

My dad as a boy, had a maid in the family home called Mrs Shufflebottom and with 3 boys in the house there was much mischief over her name.

When dad died, mum went to register his death and spoke to a Mr Clutterbuck, to which she'd stifled a laugh at what was a sad time, but once out of the office out came the hankie and she roared laughing.

I've noticed lots of surnames along the way which have been befitting to their jobs/businesses/companies.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:56:05

Omg ScotinOz I almost choked on my cuppa, Mr UFUK that’s made my Monday, fancy being stuck with that one, lol I will be smiling all day now, love it

Urmstongran Mon 16-Dec-19 09:01:51

Before she married my dad, mum ‘walked out’ with a Mr. Box in Blackpool. His father was the local undertaker.