Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm desperate for a non Xmas tune on the radio!

(67 Posts)
Margs Sat 21-Dec-19 11:21:29

All the stations on DAB are the same round of corny Christmas songs on a continuous loop. It seems the only station that doesn't do tuneless festive much is TalkSport - thanks but no thanks!

It appears that any and every bit of music at the moment (however crappy) has jingle bells on it and that makes it OK. It's driving me crazy - goodness knows how shop staff bear this stuff hour after hour whilst dealing with frantic and fraught customers at the very busy checkouts.

They deserve a medal simply for not losing it.

Urmstongran Sat 21-Dec-19 11:47:27

Put a CD on instead - your own choice of music! Or Spotify.
I’m playing a Michael Bublé CD - Christmas Specials.
?
?????

tanith Sat 21-Dec-19 11:53:04

My daughter working on a till is trapped listening to this stuff for a whole shift she says it’s driving her bonkers. Bad enough having to endure it whilst shopping. She said she manages to turn it down before her manager turns up (always late) but he just turns it up again ?

Opal Sat 21-Dec-19 11:58:42

Totally agree Margs, it's Christmas on steroids, I've avoided the shops as much as possible. I'll be so glad when it's all over, roll on January grin.

annodomini Sat 21-Dec-19 12:16:19

When I turn over to Classic FM to avoid politics of which I am heartily fed up, what do I get ? Christmas ad nauseam.

Kalu Sat 21-Dec-19 12:20:22

I don’t listen to the radio at all now as I got fed up with too much talking in between but Christmas music on constant would have me running to the hills ?

I feel so sorry for any shopworkers having to put up with that day in day out for what seems like weeks before the 25th

Spotify on all day here with so many choices to suit our taste.

BradfordLass72 Sat 21-Dec-19 21:06:22

I don't like music Christmas or otherwise; don't own any CDs, I prefer silence and birdsong from the bush outside my door.

Tedber Sat 21-Dec-19 21:16:36

I absolutely LOVE Christmas songs but get fed up with Slade, Wham, Shakin Stevens etc...

I love the true carolly types....(currently got Perry Comos Christmas classics on) But love Pentatonix too...... Utube "Mary did you know" Sends shivers......

SueH49 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:47:35

I love them, it's only for a small part of the year and then back to the ordinary stuff.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:56:03

Another vote for Spotify here. Do shops realise that a lot of us do a quick rush around to escape their 'music'. It must have some influence on sales.

ladymuck Sun 22-Dec-19 08:12:14

I'm desperate to find a tv movie which isn't sentimental Christmassy yuck. Normally I watch the afternoon movies but, right now, they are all cringe-worthy. Surely it's possible to have a Christmas story which isn't all gooey and romantic?

Nico97 Sun 22-Dec-19 09:09:30

Ah well in five days I'm sure the radio stations will have reverted to type tchgrin Not long to go.... tchgrin

Witzend Sun 22-Dec-19 09:19:02

I love proper carols, sung properly, not mucked about. Classic FM is my go-to radio station at this time of year.

Not at all keen on screechy Christmas songs, esp. the very American ones they were playing in Sainsbury's the other day.
I make an exception for a very few, esp. Wham!'s Last Christmas.

MawB Sun 22-Dec-19 09:20:24

Radio 3 is pretty safe, . Verdi’s Macbeth last night and no sign of Santa.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Dec-19 09:23:56

Only played CD's, not listened to the radio at all so haven't heard one Christmas song so far this year---nor a carol for that matter.
Michael Buble's Christmas CD and the old Band Aid CD, Phil Spectre's oldies and Australian bush sounds ( birds ) with music/ carols in the background.

Sparklefizz Sun 22-Dec-19 09:26:55

It will all be over soon tchsmile

rafichagran Sun 22-Dec-19 10:01:26

I love Cheistmas, and I am waiting for partner to go for a run so I can play Fairy Tale of New York, AGAIN.

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 10:02:59

Have you considered switching the radio off, margs?

Twopence Sun 22-Dec-19 10:20:38

I wouldn't like to hear Christmas music all year round but do look forward to listening in during the festive season, particularly Classic FM. It's part of the joy of Christmas to me.

Jaycee5 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:24:00

I only listen to music on YouTube now as you can choose your own but then some interesting recommends come up that you wouldn't think about.
Yesterday I listed to Love Hurts sung by the Liverbirds (not the situation comedy) and The Working Man (which might be a bit too 'not Christmassy' but is very moving) by David Alexander.
I like soul music and there is some good early versions of that that I haven't heard before.

Moth62 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:43:20

Agree, Tedber. Just looked up Mary, did you know by Pentatonix. Beautiful. I’ve never heard of them before.

Chestnut Sun 22-Dec-19 10:49:16

If you must have the radio on then try one of the classical music channels which at least don't play Slade etc. They are usually soothing Christmas carols and classical seasonal sounding music.
I have a bit of a gripe with music stations in general because they seem to pay the same songs over and over on a loop. A bit more imagination in choosing their playlists would be nice.

Gingergirl Sun 22-Dec-19 10:50:19

Too much Christmas music-too much Christmas rammed down your throat altogether. The only way to avoid it is seemingly not shop, read, watch or listen to anything! Its a shame. I liked Christmas once!

knspol Sun 22-Dec-19 11:05:21

Fairy Tale of New York is my all time favourite and haven't heard it once yet on the radio this year.

vickya Sun 22-Dec-19 11:20:18

I liked it when it began, mid November? But now I want to scream SHUT UP! It is the same songs again and again on every radio station and in every big shop. It got distressing on Friday when I wanted to do some Christmas shopping in Sainsburys and after an hour I felt confused about what I needed, even with a list. I stopped and went and later complained on Twitter. They said they\'d pass it on. It had been much too loud, apart from anything else. Music should not blare at you. I popped in yesterday for someone I'd forgotten and it was a bit quieter ;) .

My health club/swimming pool does it too. They were playing loud music ingym, cafe and pool. I go very early and want to do tai chi in peace. Other older women go then and we all complained and got a promise of no music until 9.a.m. Now and then there is music and I complain and they turn it off and apologise. GOW of Watford smile