Gransnet forums

Chat

Broadening the appeal of the Lake District

(155 Posts)
inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 17:27:39

The Lake District is seeking to broaden its appeal, amid concerns that swathes of the population feel excluded from national parks.

Richard Leafe, head of the Lake District National Park Authority in Cumbria, told Sky News that the parks' visitors are overwhelmingly older, able-bodied white people.

( great name for somebody with his job btw)

KatyK Sun 29-Dec-19 17:32:33

Leave it alone I say. It's wonderful.

lemongrove Sun 29-Dec-19 17:39:50

Everybody knows it’s there....
There is no need for anyone to feel it isn’t for them, unless the countryside and walking is really not their choice.

vinasol Sun 29-Dec-19 17:42:31

We absolutely LOVE the Lake District!

Cherrytree59 Sun 29-Dec-19 17:47:32

More investment obviously required.
Flatten it out a bit.
Some of the lakes are quite wide in places.
Sort out the rain.
A theme park or two? smile

mumofmadboys Sun 29-Dec-19 18:01:06

I live in Keswick and love the Lake District. Moved here 5 years ago when we retired. We tend to think it is perfect how it is!! Unless someone can reduce the rainy days!!

SirChenjin Sun 29-Dec-19 18:23:02

Did he say what they intend to do to make it more inclusive - whilst balancing that against not making it less inclusive as a result for the many thousands who do use it and enjoy it?

Anniebach Sun 29-Dec-19 18:24:52

It’s beautiful. I live in a National Park, people of all ages visit, pony trekking, canoeing, mounting climbing, fishing, bird watching, canal boats, mountain railway

GracesGranMK3 Sun 29-Dec-19 18:40:05

What they are doing looks really interesting inkycog. It is lovely but it is a "National" Park and should be attracting a diversity of people. It seems a good idea to me. It does rain a lot mumofmadboys but I do believe I have been over on one or two less rainy dayssmile. I just tell myself we wouldn't have the lakes without it.

I have a trip to marked down to Kendal in the summer to visit the sellers of that rabbity hare - Luna. Mine are naked at the moment and need some clothes.

I think they have diversified over the years. Certainly, the hotels seem to have done. As for access, I'm not sure how you justify not giving it to people with disabilities and attracting anyone out of the towns, whatever their ethnicity, has to be a good thing.

I noticed they were improving some of the "Green Roads" so the 4 x 4s and trail bikes could use them. No doubt that won't suit everyone but they pay their taxes too. Everyone who visits regularly and spends money there is obviously entitled to a view but it isn't a museum and shouldn't be treated as such.

MiniMoon Sun 29-Dec-19 18:48:44

I was in Coniston for a few days in September the place was packed.
Granted there weren't many people of ethnic minorities there but neither were there many families as it was term time.
I don't know how they can broaden its appeal, national parks are open to everyone. It depends upon whether you like outdoor pursuits.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 29-Dec-19 18:55:11

That's why I think making the Green Roads better is a good thing MiniMoon. If you get to see the beauty from your car maybe you will get out of it the next time.

inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 19:02:01

I suppose they consider having halal food and so on available.

Maybe.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 29-Dec-19 19:35:12

I think, as more people get to know the area, they will want to move there and run a greater variety of businesses inkycog. What was originally street food from any country is usually delicious.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 19:44:26

Cherrytree59 grin!!

I used to visit often (camping inmthenraj momb) before we moved further away but have persuaded DH to visit a couple of times since then.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 19:44:58

What? That did say camping in the rain

Grandmama Sun 29-Dec-19 19:55:38

I think ethnic minorities generally do not make use of the countryside for leisure activities. Isn't there some ongoing controversy with the NT in the Lakes about vehicles using (and damaging) tracks for off road driving - and disturbing peace and quiet. Also the NT had a plan to install a zip wire a while back. From what I've read in the press the NT seems to be ruffling a few feathers in its plans for the Lake District.

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 20:23:50

I spent many, many happy holidays in the Lake District mainly near Ambleside.

During my growing-up years, we saw it go from a few tourists, walkers, photographers etc., to hoardes of people of all ages, who crammed the shops and cafes and left litter on the fells and in lakes. Played loud music on portable devices and got horribly drunk and puked in the street.

My parents were distressed by this and made the decision not to go again, NOT just because they disliked the crowds but because they perceived that 4 fewer 'boots on the ground' spoiling the beauty would help preserve it.

So if I were to vote, it would be 'keep quiet about it' .

The Lake District is not a secret but the area we love cannot be made more popular without the cans, bottles, plastic bags and other detritus spoiling it.

Not to mentioned the wear and tear on infrastructure, ancient places and footpaths; people climbing over and breaking walls; leaving gates open so stock can wander and other associated ills.

The second photo is from Country Life who lead a campaign to prevent littering in beauty spots.

Is this move towards popularity money-driven?
I can see no benefit other than for local businesses.
Maybe Tesco want to open yet another supermarket?

Actually, now I come to think of it, I'm all for fencing it all off and leaving it to nature. grin

MerylStreep Sun 29-Dec-19 20:37:47

Bradfordlass
Yes it is money driven. They have been told that their funding will be restricted if they don't attract more tourists from ethnic minority groups and disabled people.

It's a joke really, isn't it. Not that long ago 'they' were talking about the very subject you mentioned: if too many people visit the lakes they will ruin the fauna and flora. Then there won't be any more beautiful walks!!!

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 20:43:15

Well that is ridiculous.
The Lakes in certain areas get extremely crowded, especially during peak holiday times.

People know the National Parks are there, they will visit if they want to.

Many places in the Lakes are 'disabled friendly' and are by law, but places off the beaten track may not be for obvious reasons.

Anniebach Sun 29-Dec-19 20:43:57

I can no longer climb my mountains, perhaps i should start a campaign for roads to be built so I can go to the top in a car .

Why can’t places of natural beauty be left beautiful.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 20:44:13

Is this 'wokefulness'?

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 20:48:55

Is this 'wokefulness'?

No.

Its quite simple, they can stay as they are. Change nothing. Without the funding

Or take the funding which has a clause saying it must be spent in a way that is acessible to all.

I dont see the problem.

Some more changing places and inner city partnerships arent going to change the face of the place. They're not the types who would add to congestion and antisocial behaviour anyway since they would use mini busses not half empty cars!

ginny Sun 29-Dec-19 21:08:13

The Lake District and all our National parks are available to everyone. Maybe we should have press gangs who gather up people of prescribed colour, creed, gender, ethnicity, age and social position and force them to visit such areas.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:15:33

No theyre not! If there are not changing places at regular intervals (where there ARE non changing places public toilets) how exactly do you imagine that they are available to everyone?

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:16:27

Camping and hostel prices going up and up.