Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year Resolutions

(62 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:00:40

Top of the list;
^ Not to refer to Scotch people as "Scotch" any more!^ wink

I gave up "Scotch Whiskey" 70 years ago, made me really sick. and that's one promise I've held to ever since! Horrible stuff! grin

Rufus2 Tue 31-Dec-19 13:21:27

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Toasting it in with a Cup of Tea! shock
OoRoo

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Dec-19 13:42:29

Happy New Year, Rufus, and to everyone else wherever you are, whenever it comes! wine

As for resolutions, mine’s the same as every year, to get fitter. I always start off well, keeping to a regular exercise regime, gradually tail off as the year goes on, and I’m a couch potato by Christmas.

travelsafar Tue 31-Dec-19 13:49:42

Maggiemaybe mine is the same as yours!!! smile Did 30mins of exercise DVD this morning and so far have been good foodwise. Have cleaned the house from top to bottom today just finishing off in the kitchen then i will sit and have a rest this afternoon. Planning on going for a walk round the block after dinner this evening so i will have done a fair amount today as i have been up and down stairs several time today too, ONly trouble is i know there is a tin of shortbread on the top of the kitchen cupboard and bars of chocolate and a box of chocs in the cupboard, which may tempt me this evening!!!! Oh well my intentions are good first thing in the morning. smile Happy New Year.

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Dec-19 14:14:09

Nooo, travelsafar, it doesn’t start till tomorrow! You’ve peaked too early! tchshock

Today is for slobbing round like a sloth with a book and a box of chocs. And indulging in a bit of eating, drinking and being merry!

Tomorrow will be a whole different miserable ballgame. grin

Teetime Tue 31-Dec-19 15:13:10

Dry January for me and then we will see. Happy New Year to all xx

Xxjanexx Tue 31-Dec-19 15:16:55

Happy new year to you all
Mine is to get out of the house more!!

Yennifer Tue 31-Dec-19 15:25:18

Just to be generally a bit better than previously lol

SirChenjin Tue 31-Dec-19 16:16:03

To get fit as per every New Year’s resolution. I also want to learn to crochet.

I have zero will power so expect to achieve neither.

vinasol Tue 31-Dec-19 16:19:33

To try yet again to lose weight. Learn to love myself more.

mamamkuu Tue 31-Dec-19 16:26:00

To keep away from toxic friends, relatives and relationships.

mumofmadboys Tue 31-Dec-19 17:47:27

Lose half a stone and stay at that weight!!

tanith Tue 31-Dec-19 17:56:27

Try to be braver and seek out new experiences.

vampirequeen Tue 31-Dec-19 18:05:44

Two resolutions. The first is the same every year ie. to eat less and move more. I always start well but trail off until the following year when I resolve it again. The second is to learn to swim.

PamelaJ1 Tue 31-Dec-19 20:58:32

I’m not making one this year. I’m still basking in the success of one I made a couple of years ago.....I vowed I wouldn’t get cross with the people in the queue at the checkout. You know....the ones who don’t know they have to pay. The handbag is under the shopping or the wallet in the last pocket under multiple layers.
I hope you noticed that I wasn’t being sexist there?
Happy New Year.

Rufus my son in law- a Scot- with my DD have no electric or phone at the moment, they have a house near Sussex Inlet and are standing by with hoses. ?

Cambia Wed 01-Jan-20 09:15:30

Going to try for fifteen days no spending and drinking each month (excluding food). Fail miserably on the three day alcohol free thing so trying a different approach. Hoping not to impulse buy quite so often too.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jan-20 09:23:25

I never set resolutions for the NY, that way I can't be disappointed when I backslide.
Have a Happy 2020 everyone.
My only thought is to live more in ‘the moment’ rather than in planning/hoping.?

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jan-20 09:29:13

I pledge to be kinder and less judgemental.
But Rufus can I have one final gripe?
It's not whiskey here in Scotland, that's the Irish kind.
Whisky with no e.
I'll stop now.....

Nanna58 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:29:49

To persevere with the medication for my arthritis , even though the side effects are dire!

nipsmum Wed 01-Jan-20 09:46:41

I've never made a New year resolution and at 79 I'm not going to start now.

Bluebird64 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:51:49

I learned somewhere that the best way to stick to a NYR is to only make one! So mine is to stop complaining. It's true I do it mostly inside my head and not aloud, but I feel much better when I think something positive instead. I know people who complain non-stop and they are SOOO depressing!

sunseeker Wed 01-Jan-20 09:59:55

For those who are making NYR (I never do - you can't improve on perfection!), a friend sent me a Facebook post which states that a New Year Resolution is merely a casual promise you make to yourself which you are under no obligation to keep!

Happy New Year to everyone

Juliet27 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:17:21

Pamela I’ve sent you some rather confused pms.

rowanflower0 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:17:53

As I am determined not to fail this year -
1. To eat and drink smaller portions !
2. To write at least a little of my book each day, and
3. Not to impulse buy things I don't need.

To Xxjanexx, or to anyone needing to get out more, can I suggest joining your local branch of the U3A ? They'll have loads of groups and activities designed for people like us.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

aonk Wed 01-Jan-20 10:35:21

I would like to be a better person, more understanding and thoughtful. Most importantly I would like to deal with my anxiety levels which have peaked recently caused by issues around my health and that of my DH. If anyone has any helpful comments I would love to hear from them.