Gransnet forums

Chat

What's on your coffee table?

(80 Posts)
kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 10:00:51

In my naivety, I thought a coffee table was a place for putting down a cup/mug/glass - preferably on a coaster.

It might also have the newspaper/magazines/Radio Times and box of chocolates or even a 'coffee table' book. Ours is glass topped and has a shelf underneath with loads of clutter numerous childrens games, the village magazine and a box of tissues.

I saw an article yesterday showing how to 'style' a coffee table - is yours styled? Or like ours? blush

Pantglas2 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:05:24

Definitely like yours kittylester! With added remote controls and a bus timetable!

Beechnut Fri 03-Jan-20 10:06:10

Mine is like yours kitty. Sometimes it’s tidy and but mostly not.

lemongrove Fri 03-Jan-20 10:12:59

A quick glance at ours reveals....about a dozen stacked paperbacks, two crossword puzzle books with pens, my diary, a tin of Christmas biscuits, two magazines, the village newsletter, a box of tissues, my glasses case, several fancy bookmarks and two coffee mugs.
Is that styled??

annodomini Fri 03-Jan-20 10:15:11

I have a small coffee table because I have a small house. Underneath, there's a pile of books I use with the youngsters I tutor, and a useful drawer contains more of the same plus pens and highlighters. However, I usually manage to keep the top clear except for the essential coasters.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 03-Jan-20 10:17:11

Well to be absolutely honest, mainly junk obscured by rather a lot of dust, books, nail paraphernalia, candles, three pairs glasses??? Wine glass, chocs, and dog chewsblush

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 10:18:35

Phew!! grin

Bathsheba Fri 03-Jan-20 10:19:41

Mine currently has a vase of flowers, a box of tissues, my glasses case, a couple of pencils, a small notepad, a pair of nail clippers, some hand cream, a box of lens wipes, a Premium Bond cheque waiting to be paid into my bank, and a pair of headphones. Oh, and a coaster for my cuppa!

Styled??? confused

BlueSapphire Fri 03-Jan-20 10:28:02

Don't have a coffee table, but have a nest of tables, which are at the moment scattered with coasters, a table mat, magazine, crossword solver, pencil, highlighter pen (for the Radio Times) and the radio remote.

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 10:28:32

Ours are all like yours kitty, we have lamps, a plant on one coffee table, coasters, candles, the Radio Times, books, children’s games. Sometimes a pen and crossword book, sometimes my iPad, or DH’s tablet, sometimes our mobile phones, yes, just like yours kitty.

JackyB Fri 03-Jan-20 10:32:27

Ours is also glass-topped with a shelf underneath. I keep it clear and put seasonal decorations on the bottom level. In Advent, the Advent wreath sat on it sometimes, but that was often moved to the dining table.

It is a rather annoying piece of furniture really - easy to bang your shin on, too far away and too low for playing board games, only within reach of 2 people to actually put coffee cups on it, and absolutely lethal for the youngest who is advancing from crawling to walking.

tanith Fri 03-Jan-20 10:49:44

Mines more a side table and has a small picture in frame a dear friend sent me, box of tissues, a coaster and DVDcontroller. On the shelf are 3 new picture frames waiting to be filled a photo family photo album I’ve been looking through.

Auntieflo Fri 03-Jan-20 10:58:19

At the moment, the bigger coffee table on the rug has the current Radio Times, plus next week's one. A wicker basket, containing the TV remotes and a few pens, and a lens wipe.
One coaster, and DH's diary.
The small one next to the sofa has my crochet basket( small), a coaster, a pile of magazines and local newsletter, some IPod earphones, and a tiny teapot, waiting to be measured for it's cosy. Hence the crochet basket. Oh, and two bars of chocolate!

Happygirl79 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:58:59

Mine has a vase of flowers and a tray with a scented candle, remote control for TV, central heating control and coasters

ladymuck Fri 03-Jan-20 11:00:34

I think we have the same table, kitty and mine fits the same description as yours...organised clutter.
I feel uncomfortable in a too-tidy home, I like clutter, it looks homely.

felice Fri 03-Jan-20 11:06:11

Plastic table cloth, half eaten Gingerbread house, pokemeon cards, E book, 2 remotes, Scottish flag on a stick(not sure where DGS found it), some Junior Monopoly money and some drying paintings, not too bad today.!!!!!!

LadyGracie Fri 03-Jan-20 11:17:38

I have a small table next to my chair it contains, 2 coasters, kindle, tissues, manicure set, cable needle, tape measure, 2 cards of buttons, row counter and a blankety blank cheque book and pen!

LadyGracie Fri 03-Jan-20 11:19:07

And a pile of paperbacks and knitting books underneath.

Witzend Fri 03-Jan-20 11:19:17

Don’t have one as such - we have sofas with side tables, upon which all manner of cr*p is often deposited* besides lamps, remotes etc. ATM there are half-eaten boxes of Christmas chocs, a Christmas Radio Times that needs to go in the recycling, sundry books, a bowl of Christmas pot-pourri, and one or two tags off Christmas presents.

*unless I’ve just had a tidy up and dusted. (Memo to self - needs doing!).

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 11:21:21

It depends on whether or not I've tidied it after DH has been sitting reading his paper, drinking coffee etc. Just going to take a look.

Oh! He obviously hasn't got a paper yet.

A set of coasters
A pretty bowl with satsumas
Some Christmas nuts

The little table next to our chairs is not so tidy grin

Missfoodlove Fri 03-Jan-20 11:31:03

For fun I’ve taken a class hole of photos. Nothing staged or altered!
We have an everyday living room and a more formal one.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:31:40

My room is too small for a coffee table but I have what are called 'lamp tables' at each end of the two-seater sofa which provide a parking space for drinks. There's a mini-greenhouse on one which contains a succulent plant and the other has a basket of bits'n'bobs.
I agree, JackyB that they can be inconvenient - my neighbour had to go to hospital when he collided with his. Be careful ladies.

Missfoodlove Fri 03-Jan-20 11:31:48

Class hole????? Predictive text!!!! Couple

Millie22 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:53:18

No coffee table as it would just be cluttered and DH would put his feet up on it all the time and be very annoying.

Oopsminty Fri 03-Jan-20 11:54:02

My feet