Gransnet forums

Chat

Bath or Shower

(100 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:41:13

Which do you prefer, for quickness it’s always been a shower but I do love a good soak after a busy day

tanith Sun 05-Jan-20 08:01:33

We had our bath taken out years ago and have a large walk-in shower, I have two hip implants and could no longer get in and out of a bath. I’m about to hop in any minute ?

MiniMoon Sun 05-Jan-20 08:34:07

Shower here every day. I haven't been in the bath for years!

Ours is a spa bath, but it still doesn't make it any more appealing.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Jan-20 08:53:36

Both. I can be in and out of a shower and dry in 5 minutes every morning, but I wouldn’t be without the occasional evening soak in a lovely hot bubble bath. Such a treat, especially with a book and some relaxing music.

Newquay Sun 05-Jan-20 09:00:10

We had our bath taken out this year, replaced with a walk in shower. DH and I have had hip replacements and found it difficult getting out of the bath

BlueSky Sun 05-Jan-20 09:04:00

We like showers anyway but as we get older they become essential. A lot of people have difficulty in getting in and out of a bath which becomes dangerous. So it makes sense to be prepared. We had our bath taken out and a walk in shower installed, it was the best thing we've ever done!

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:11:21

Shower in the morning and bath at night!

harrigran Sun 05-Jan-20 09:11:24

I have a large walk in shower but I did keep the bath in the guest bathroom, GC like to have baths with those brightly coloured bath bombs.
I have only been in the bath once in the last ten years and nearly had to ring for the fire service to haul me out so won't be repeating.

annsixty Sun 05-Jan-20 09:19:12

Another one here who has to have showers. I used to love a bath for relaxing and pure luxury but alas no more.
I do enjoy a shower and it is quick.
I won’t have my bath taken out as it is a family house and when my family come to sell I do think families with young children like to see a proper bathroom, children love a bath.

maryhoffman37 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:25:23

Shower every morning, bath very occasionally for aches or relaxing. Wouldn't not have one in the bathroom.

Theoddbird Sun 05-Jan-20 09:35:53

I shower every day but I yearn for a bath to soak in with lovely smelly bubbles, a glass of wine and a good book. I live on a boat so no hope...sighs

SYLVIAPATTEN Sun 05-Jan-20 09:38:45

I much prefer a bath. I’ve got IBS so like to sit to make sure of a real clean feeling. I’ve got a bath lift do no problem get in and out!

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 09:42:01

Does a hip replacement mean you can’t have a bath ever again?

annsixty Sun 05-Jan-20 09:45:10

I am hoping to get a hip replacement next month but it is a knee replacement which means I can’t get in a bath.
It it the bending to sit down and then get back up which is nigh on impossible to do.

vickya Sun 05-Jan-20 09:52:08

Another for showers here. Not had a bath for years but I used to enjoy reading there and a few favourite books are water-logged. I swim first thing so shower at the pool anyway. If I have to skip the swim as childminding early I shower at home as am in a hurry then. And the shower in in my en suite.

searose Sun 05-Jan-20 09:52:39

Bath

quizqueen Sun 05-Jan-20 09:57:33

The only time I have a bath is if I'm in a hotel and that's the only option.

Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:59:52

8 years ago I was having mega difficulties getting in and out of a bath. My ankle was pinned and plated, that did not help. I had to have the bath taken out because there was insufficient space and I did not think it safe having a shower over the bath.

I love my shower but I do miss wallowing in a bath very occasionally. So much safer for me now I have had both knees replaced and have minor balance problems. I have a stool in the shower.

Yehbutnobut no it does not but for a few weeks you cannot sit in a bath normally- you have to have a raised seat. to prevent dislocation.

Oopsminty Sun 05-Jan-20 10:00:47

Same as you Hetty

Morning shower. Evening bath

lizzypopbottle Sun 05-Jan-20 10:09:06

I'm going to write something quite shocking so hang on to your hats!

I think a bath or shower every day is shockingly wasteful! I'm certain my family would tell me if I needed a wash. I know this because I've asked them. ? It's different if you're young and sexually active or a sweaty man (sorry guys). Then, a very quick, daily shower is, perhaps, a must. Anti-perspirant works well. You can get a natural crystal one that you wet to apply and it's very effective. One of my sons uses it and it really works. He came out in a rash using a spray.

It's also totally unnecessary to bathe children every day. Back when we were children, we had a weekly bath which we shared with our siblings! Before bed, we just washed hands, face, neck and knees (if they looked dirty) and brushed our teeth. Here we are! We survived!

JENMA Sun 05-Jan-20 10:11:43

Always a bath every night. Despite new hip that went wrong and ended up with sepsis and had to have donor bone to replace bone from hip to femur and hip to pelvis, now prefect.
Operation on the spine I still use a bath so warming and relaxing. My husband has severe walking problems due to 40 year old accident that has come back to haunt him but he also baths every night. We have a roll top bath which helps getting out. Hope to never give it up. My mother did have a sling type thing on her bath but was still bathing until she died at 92. She found it more comforting than a shower.

vickya Sun 05-Jan-20 10:13:12

Lizzypop, I know 4 year old granddaughter has not had baths every day. Sometimes they get home late and I think mum skips them but days I child mind after school she always asks me to bath granddaughter, partly I think so she need not the day before and/or after! I find it hard now but we've got a step so she can get into the bath alone. She's too big for me to lift.

Matelda Sun 05-Jan-20 10:14:31

I love my bath - how would I deal with my corns and keep my feet in good shape without a soak. And I have noticed that sometimes people's feet turn a very strange colour underneath - well, bright orange actually - if they only shower.

I had a knee replacement done three years ago and can get in and out of the bath with ease, as well as kneel down when necessary. But I have lost weight (Jane Plan) and do daily light workouts at home with handweights (I choose Hasfit on YouTube) so I know that it doesn't happen without effort.

hulahoop Sun 05-Jan-20 10:17:42

Short for me have still got bath but not used much and only by grandchildren .would like a walk in shower they seem very expensive though

allule Sun 05-Jan-20 10:19:54

I've never been able to get full value out of a bath. Fill it...get in...wash...and then? My daughter manages to relax and read in the bath, but I could never get comfortable enough for that. A lovely hot shower beats it every time.