Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s your earliest memory as child and what age

(82 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:03:39

I can remember my first day at school which was just before 5 I couldn’t wait to tell my mum n dad what I had been doing, can remember drinking revolting milk from glass bottle that was slowly thawing out in front of a roaring fire, and the teacher saying milktime, I can still recall the taste, lol and the old wooden floors and desks with the tops that lifted up, the inkwells and the pens, the very small toilets across the other side of the playground, and me in my long pleated skirt n jumper and haircut resembling a basin on my head lol

midgey Sun 05-Jan-20 09:07:09

I can remember sitting on a land rover bonnet in a field beside the road waiting. Apparently we were waiting for the queen to drive past! I must have been three or four!

Esspee Sun 05-Jan-20 09:14:56

I can remember the coronation on TV, I would have been 4 and our house was full of neighbours as we were the only ones to have a TV.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jan-20 09:20:29

watching the coal trams passing the bottom of the garden going up to the tip. We moved to,another part of the village when I was 3 so before we moved.

Grannybags Sun 05-Jan-20 09:24:43

Moving to a new house and running around opening cupboards. Found a little cupboard in the kitchen with a gauze door (for cheese?) which fascinated me. I was 3/4

harrigran Sun 05-Jan-20 09:34:03

My first memory is of wearing a siren suit to play in the snow in the garden, my father built a snowman copied from a little Cornish pixie ornament that he had. I must have been under two as my birthday was in May.
I also remember the big pram with the drop down bottom section and wearing the white leather harness, my elder sister clipped me into the pram in the sitting room and then left the room shutting the door.
Next vivid memories are of being about three years old, I am wondering if some things are so unusual or traumatic that they stqy with you for life.

yggdrasil Sun 05-Jan-20 09:35:59

The earliest I remember was being pushed downhill in my pram, with 2 people holding the pram. The faces were large and blurred, but they must have been my parents.
I was in hospital twice before I was 4 and I remember a lot about it. I could draw you a plan of the bungalow we lived in until I was 4, when my sister was born and we moved to a bigger house. In other words, I have loads of memories of being two or three .

tanith Sun 05-Jan-20 09:41:01

I can remember the coronation street party, my Mum made a beautiful dress in yellow organza to dress me up as Princess Anne our neighbours son was dressed as Prince Charles and I do remember everyone clapping as we joined the party holding hands I must of been 4.

gillyknits Sun 05-Jan-20 09:41:05

I remember my Dad seeing me across the road, and back, when I went to get his newspaper. When I mentioned it to him, he said that I was was only two at the time.

Sara65 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:51:53

I remember snippets of things when I was very little, I remember some sort of meltdown because I wanted to wear new wellies but I was being put in the pram. I remember pulling all the flowers off the lupins, and I was lost in a forest of lupins, so must have been small. I remember every detail of my first little school, which I loved.

But I’m not sure you can necessarily trust your memories, my oldest daughter frequently says she remembers things that just aren’t right.

MiniMoon Sun 05-Jan-20 10:01:39

My first proper memory is of a sunny day in the back garden of my childhood home. The pram was on the lawn, with my baby sister inside. It must have been late summer as she was born in March. I was on tiptoe leaning into the pram tickling the baby. She laughed and I was delighted. I must have been 3, and my sister about 5 or 6 months old.

Framilode Sun 05-Jan-20 10:02:01

Brushing up snow with one one of those child sized dustpans and brushes. I think I would have been just 3.

Humbertbear Sun 05-Jan-20 10:28:46

For some reason I remember Queen Mary dying. I was 3 and a half and clearly remember her photo on the front of the newspaper. She looked very sombre. Like everyone else, I remember the Coronation in the following June and the news of the conquest of Everest. I had tonsillitis and my mother was in hospital giving birth to my sister. We had a small television set and I watched the ceremony but I couldn’t go to the street party as I was ill.
I also remember that winter when my mother was pregnant and would have a nap on the coach while I played on the floor. Don’t suppose many mums do that now.

lavenderzen Sun 05-Jan-20 10:32:00

Leaving my shoes on the front door step and running off in bare feet to play. Also being on the stage at Sunday School singing "When the Red Red Robin ............" in a velvet dress!

TwiceAsNice Sun 05-Jan-20 10:45:08

I remember eating an ice cream in my grandmothers garden and it fell out of the corner on the floor and the dog ate it and I cried . I was only 2

I remember making jam tarts first year of infants school and my mum crying when I went to school age 4

My brother being born at home when I was 7 and the midwife taking me in to see him

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jan-20 10:45:26

I must have been 3 or maybe 4 and I remember going out into the garden early on a sunny morning and being entranced by the dew drops caught in a nasturtium blossom.

A lovely first memory to have. smile

TwiceAsNice Sun 05-Jan-20 10:45:35

Cornet not corner

Blinko Sun 05-Jan-20 10:50:36

I remember being in a rowing boat on the marina at Weston super Mare. Father was rowing. Mother had a go and lost an oar. Father had to circle the little boat round and round so we could retrieve it. I was around 18 months or two at the time.

Curlywhirly Sun 05-Jan-20 10:53:26

I can remember being in my cot (so aged 2 at the most!) and trying to figure out how my Mum undid the cot side so I could get out! Finally sussed it and many times I waited until she left the room then dropped the cot side, got out, climbed onto a chair, then the window sill, so I could watch the older children playing in the street. Got back in the cot, put the cot side up, nobody was the wiser - she never found out and I never told her in later years!

Alexa Sun 05-Jan-20 10:55:20

I remember being in my cot and the blankets had come off and I was crying because I could not put them back over me.

larry5 Sun 05-Jan-20 10:57:36

My first memory was the day my brother was born and I was very nearly 3. I was shown my brother by my grandmother but the best bit of the day for me was that my grandmother made my sister and I scrambled eggs for breakfast!

blondenana Sun 05-Jan-20 11:15:42

I remember vividly ,not being able to find my mother,and going across the road to her friends,she gave me some cocoa and sugar in a paper bag,and i sat on her wall outside the door to eat it
Sweets were rationed then, so cocoa and sugar was the alternative
I would be about 3 ,as i remember the old house we lived in and my dad one day finding a rat under the kerb around the coal fire
[think it was called a kerb]

StMary Sun 05-Jan-20 11:21:17

First memory i have is ..A old lady looking like she was different from the 50s dress . She would meet me on the stairs and ask do i want to see her room , Been only 2 Id say yes ..she would take me into this beautiful room , all Gold and Blue colours with big curtains ..Id look around and then she'd say , off you go now ..all excited Id run down stairs , mam mam I've been in that ladies room ..My mam would go there's is nobody living in that room ..So Id drag her upstairs and open the door , go inside and the room was empty ..Told you she would say ..Later on i was told it was a victorian house , where the lady of the house would run ..It was turned into rooms for the needy ...How strange ..

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jan-20 11:26:09

Sitting at the top of the stairs and my dad going past the bottom of them, seeing me and saying “hello” in a very surprised voice. My parents remember this - I had climbed out of my cot and dad got the fright of his life when he saw me there. I was about 18mths-2 years apparently.

jusnoneed Sun 05-Jan-20 11:29:26

Feeding lambs that were abandoned/orphaned on the farm where we lived, they were brought into the kitchen sometimes to keep warm by the aga. I would of been 3/4 years old. Also remember having chickens and ducks in the garden.