Gransnet forums

Chat

Girls names

(114 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 09-Jan-20 20:27:37

Love all the older names that are becoming very popular and have been for a while, especially Elsie Dorothy Nerys Maud, Connie. My friend called her baby Rosalyn haven’t heard that one for several years

tanith Thu 09-Jan-20 20:49:57

My youngest GD is Florence, we also have an Elsie and a Ruby. I like the older names too.

Namsnanny Thu 09-Jan-20 21:00:29

I love the floral names for girls, Ivy, Cicely, Holly, Poppy, etc.

Sorry TrendyNannie6 … not so keen on Maud!

Jane10 Thu 09-Jan-20 21:15:48

Come into the garden Maud ?

Greenfinch Thu 09-Jan-20 21:25:18

I met a baby called Ida last week.It kind of grows on you.

Scentia Thu 09-Jan-20 21:32:57

I want my DD to have a little girl so she can call her Margaret and shorten it to Peggy it is just adorable.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Jan-20 21:33:27

Some traditional names are prettier than others, I think.
A baby called Gladys doesn't float my boat, but everyone is different.

DoraMarr Thu 09-Jan-20 21:35:44

But the names of the 50s and 60s are in the doldrums- no-one calls their children Christine, Pauline, Linda, Jane, Janet, Maureen, Barbara, Patricia- all the names of my schoolfriends. I wonder when they will become fashionable again? The boys in my class were Peter, John, David, Mark, Paul, Alan, Christopher- again names that have been forgotten. Perhaps we need another generation’s distance.

helenrowena Thu 09-Jan-20 21:36:40

My girls are Heather , Holly and Chloe , all named after plants

(Chloe means green herb or green shoot in Greek)

My mother gave us three girls middle names of trees - Linden, Hazel and Rowena (Rowena is mine after the rowan tree but she was also influenced by Ivanhoe she said)

MissAdventure Thu 09-Jan-20 21:41:04

I think all the names will eventually roll round and be popular again.. they always do.
A few years ago nobody would have dreamed of having a baby called Albert or Arthur, but there are plenty now.

GrannySomerset Thu 09-Jan-20 23:18:44

Interesting. I note, however that Hilda, Ethel, Winnie and Gertie have yet to become popular.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Jan-20 23:25:33

I've heard of a couple of baby Ethels.

grannyactivist Thu 09-Jan-20 23:37:06

The Telegraph recently published an article that said Ottilie - has come out ahead of more obvious girls’ names such as Daisy, Florence and Isabella (all in joint second). I know babies with all four of those names, also a Dorothy, Rose, Mabel, Martha and Esme.

Txquiltz Fri 10-Jan-20 01:28:30

Good friend named her girls Robin and Lark...always reminded me of spring. Only request, use traditional spelling. Instead of Marsha, my parents chose Marcia. All thru my life people have called me Mar-Cee-A.

Namsnanny Fri 10-Jan-20 02:30:47

I love the name Honeysuckle (as in Honeysuckle Weeks - actress) but I'd never choose it.
It doesn't scan well and I would imagine it would be shortened to Honey, which isn't a favourite of mine.
Or Suckle and that sucks!!

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-Jan-20 07:23:49

I have never understood why anyone wants to call their child by a beautiful name and then totally change it.

Elizabeth = Betty
Margaret = Peggy
Charlotte = Charlie
Antoinetta - Tony
etc.

If you like the diminuitive, simply call your child by it!

I like Sienna as a girl's name.

harrigran Fri 10-Jan-20 08:47:16

I know someone with a tot called Molly Audrey, not heard Audrey since I was at school.

Gaunt47 Fri 10-Jan-20 08:54:14

I once met an American teacher working on secondment in London. She told us that in America made up names were very common, and had a girl in her class named Klamydia.

TwiceAsNice Fri 10-Jan-20 08:57:07

My daughters friend called her daughter Maisie Elsie Violet all old names. She looks like a little Maisie very cute

Calendargirl Fri 10-Jan-20 09:26:35

MissAdventure

Personally, I pity the baby Ethels. Ghastly name, conjours up pictures of ancient grannies in rocking chairs or cleaners in old films who squawk in a cockney accent, i.e. Kathleen Harrison. (Apologies to any Ethels out there, just my opinion).

Teetime Fri 10-Jan-20 09:31:56

I like classical names - Hebe, Daphne, Persephone. DD2 is called Helen Josephine- she loves her name and it will carry her anywhere.

Nvella Fri 10-Jan-20 09:33:59

David Mitchell and Victoria Coren's daughter is called Barbara. I know a baby Ernest - really not keen on that

optimist Fri 10-Jan-20 09:42:11

My grandson was born in Canada and called Stanley which sounded weird to my English ears when he was a small baby. His parents are jazz musicians and now that he is 18 STAN really suits him. Very cool.

gilld69 Fri 10-Jan-20 09:46:19

my dd is having a baby shes toying with Elsie Ayda and Dottie i love them all if its a boy it may be Ted

Callistemon Fri 10-Jan-20 09:51:59

Ottilie has come out ahead
Well I never, I only ever heard of one Ottilie and that was my great-aunt, actually Ottilia, born in about 1880!

Ah no, wasn't Chris Barber's wife called Ottilie?