Gransnet forums

Chat

Sandi Toksvig is leaving

(57 Posts)
NanKate Thu 16-Jan-20 21:58:38

ST is leaving GBBO who would you like to replace her ?

merlotgran Thu 16-Jan-20 22:20:43

Not sure but I think she's wise to leave. GBBO has had its day.

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Jan-20 22:23:53

Very disappointed to hear this. I think she is very funny and that she and Noel are brilliant together. I wonder who will take her place?

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:28:25

Love GBBO on 4 and all the spin offs (Celeb / SU2C)

Another comedian please. Susan Calman.

jacq10 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:31:15

I second Susan Calman. She would be in her element!!!

merlotgran Thu 16-Jan-20 22:35:23

I like Susan Calman but I think she's a bit loud for GBBO

jacq10 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:45:11

I have become a fan since watching her series on Secret Scotland on Channel 5. I think her and Noel would make a good double act but will miss Sandi Toksvig.

callgirl1 Thu 16-Jan-20 23:03:47

I hope Sandi Toksvig will do more Fifteen to One, she`s the ideal successor to William G Stewart.

Ohmother Thu 16-Jan-20 23:33:33

I love Sandi Toksvig and her intelligence. Much prefer her on Qi. So sad she leaving GBBO but, yes, Susan Calman gets my vote!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 23:34:25

From the few bits I've seen, I much prefer Sandi and Noel to someone and Sue. Mel?

Nortsat46 Fri 17-Jan-20 08:48:47

I, too, think Susan Calman would be good.
I wondered about Jo Brand but I can’t imagine her putting up with Paul H.

Maybe GBBO has reached a natural conclusion ... and someone should turn off the oven.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Jan-20 09:40:39

I still think it's great viewing, but then I'm a late comer to the programme.
Plus, I don't like Mary Berry.

shysal Fri 17-Jan-20 09:59:30

I do hope they don't have Tom Allen, the sarcastic comedian from Extra Slice and the Professionals Bake-off. Some of his humour is quite insulting. I would be happy with a non-comedian like Sara Cox, and am enjoying Melanie Sykes on the Great Pottery Throw-down.
I still enjoy GBBO despite the changes.

Caramac Fri 17-Jan-20 10:17:02

Another vote here for Susan Calman.
Anyone enjoying Britain’s Best Home Cook? I am and feel it is more like GBBO used to be.
GBBO sets such high standards for home bakers with no training.

TerriBull Fri 17-Jan-20 11:00:28

The pairing of her with Noel worked well, anybody would be better than Sue and Mel imo, such an irritating pair. I believe ST was becoming frustrated with such a time consuming role. Nadia Hussain has been mooted, I like her, she'd be fine in such a role, she has a sense of humour so I'm sure she and Noel would bounce off each other, not literally, but I think they could work well together. Hope it's not anybody like Davina (too screechy) or the ubiquitous, over exposed Holly W.

Mapleleaf Fri 17-Jan-20 11:16:22

I’ve gone off the GBBO, and haven’t bothered with the latest series. I’m quite enjoying Britain’s Best Home Cook.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:24:04

I love Sandi Toksvig. She's so funny and clever. Her books are great. I couldn't believe that her and Noel had been appointed but they've been a terrific combination. For sheer daftness how about Claudia Winkelman taking Sandi's place? Just a thought. She's nice on that home cooking show.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:29:11

Nadia Jamair Hussain who won Bake Off several years ago would make an ideal presenter, she has participated in the show and knows what she is talking about.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:46:20

She's very nice but she's a bit boring. Pru and Paul know about the baking side of it. I wouldn't watch if there wasn't someone more entertaining on it.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jan-20 13:42:05

I don't think it should be a cook or chef. They are the judges.

The presenters are no fun at all unless they pretend they would be hopeless as competitors and don't know their shoes from choux.

Nadiya has won GBBO so it wouldn't work.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jan-20 13:44:02

I like Katherine Ryan and Roisin Conaty but they don't seem to be in the running.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:02:41

Oh yes. Either of them could be good!

Riggie Sat 18-Jan-20 10:13:46

I don't think they would want another cookery expert, so not Nadia.

Saggi Sat 18-Jan-20 10:33:58

...all these god-awful “look at me aren’t I clever programmes” ...I only watch Netflix now and catch up with a normal Sandy in Q.I.....surely the funniest prog ever to hit the screens !

shandi6570 Sat 18-Jan-20 10:44:26

I was looking forward to seeing Sandi and Noel together on GBBO as I like both of them and find them amusing, but I was so disappointed. The trite jokes they act out when talking to each other makes me cringe, so unworthy of them. I would imagine Sandi can't wait to leave and get back to a programme more suited to her intelligence and humour.

This is just my opinion and I am sure others will be quick to disagree, but remember lovely GNs, we are all different and see things from a different perspective a nod to the Be Kind thread grin