Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen and Prince Andrew

(79 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Mon 20-Jan-20 05:00:27

What are your views on a grinning Prince Andrew accompanying our Queen to church yesterday. Was this a mistake

Esspee Mon 20-Jan-20 05:18:32

I believe she will regret it as more of the sordid story comes to light.

JonesKpj000 Mon 20-Jan-20 05:22:43

Same here Espee. I don’t know what her or her advisors were thinking of.

TwiceAsNice Mon 20-Jan-20 06:14:52

I can’t stand Prince Andrew even before all this scandal came out but I guess he can’t stay hidden indoors forever. Presumably going to church is seen as a private family thing and I guess she still loves him, he’s supposed to be her favourite isn’t he? Don’t hold with favourite children myself.

Calendargirl Mon 20-Jan-20 07:39:37

As TwiceasNice says, he can’t stay hidden forever, locked in the attic! I think the Queen is showing support for her son, as many mothers would do, no matter what. If she wants him to accompany her to church, that is her decision really.

Sara65 Mon 20-Jan-20 07:51:53

Prince Andrew has undoubtedly acted unwisely, to say the very least.
But he can’t stay locked up forever, and accompanying his mother to church, doesn’t seem particularly controversial. Poor woman needs all the support she can get.

sodapop Mon 20-Jan-20 08:43:53

I must admit to see Andrew making a public appearance was surprising to say the least. I do agree with Sara65 the Queen needs all the support she can get at the moment.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Jan-20 08:49:04

Maybe HM thought ‘well I got Harry sorted out, I’ll concentrate my efforts on Andrew now I’m on a roll here’.
?
Good luck with this one ma ‘m. He’s a much less popular character.

Anniebach Mon 20-Jan-20 08:56:55

It wasn’t a public appearance,

Mapleleaf Mon 20-Jan-20 09:05:56

It wasn't a public appearance, as Annie says. The press will always be about though, looking to report any of what they view as juicy tidbits, trying to whip the public into a frenzy of indignation! (Seems to be working ?).
He is as entitled to accompany his Mother to church as anyone else would be to accompany theirs, whatever our views of his behaviour might be.

Elegran Mon 20-Jan-20 09:09:53

I thought church was the one place ANYONE could go, the worst sinners being welcomed as much as the biggest saints?

This wasn't an official public engagement, this was a son accompanying his aged mother to her place of worship, a mother who had just completed difficult discussions with a grandson and his wife who wanted to loosen family ties.

I believe even the Kray twins were fond of their mother.

harrigran Mon 20-Jan-20 09:15:10

I think church is the one place he should be and a good son would be keeping an eye on his mother.

merlotgran Mon 20-Jan-20 09:17:08

The Queen is a devout Christian. She probably finds solace in prayer especially after having to deal with the stress of recent family events.

Nice to see her smiling again and if the family member accompanying her to church is one of the stress makers then jolly good show!

Missfoodlove Mon 20-Jan-20 09:17:10

It’s her son and quite rightly she will always love him.
She may not condone his behaviour and will find his actions abhorrent but it’s her son.

Anniebach Mon 20-Jan-20 09:22:47

Some years ago a man who committed horrific torture then
murdered his victims was jailed for life.

His mother traveled once a month from Scotland to visit him,
she was asked why she visited him, her reply

‘He is my son’.

timetogo2016 Mon 20-Jan-20 09:50:29

He was more than likely going to confession and grinning was a front.
I do feel for our Queen she really doesn`t need this.

Yellowmellow Mon 20-Jan-20 10:13:04

I agree with Missfoodlove. Also although his conduct is more than questionable....he's not been found guilty of anything yet.

MawB Mon 20-Jan-20 10:16:28

What a stupid observation, as others have said, it was not a public engagement and why should he not accompany his mother to church anyway?
He’ll be criticised for breathing next.
(And no, it was not “confession” not that that was particularly witty.)

pinkquartz Mon 20-Jan-20 10:19:46

I thought that Andrew looks horrible when he grins....and that if he Queen is going to support him she is making a big mistake.

He is a liar and he was a friend of a convicted paedophile.
That is enough for him to be despised.
I doubt he will be found guilty, but that might be because of strings pulled in high places.
Epstein didn't commit suicide he was silenced.

maddyone Mon 20-Jan-20 10:21:50

I don’t think going to church is a public appearance or event. Andrew has been told he will no longer perform public duties. I assumed from that he will in future live privately. Going to church with his mother is part of his private life I assume.
Plus, has Prince Andrew actually been found guilty of something? I wasn’t aware that there’s been a trial.

Houndi Mon 20-Jan-20 10:28:51

I think the Queen is makimg a big mistake.Her stock will fall she needs not to be associated with Prince Andrew he is toxic

Scottiebear Mon 20-Jan-20 10:32:55

I think his behaviour seems awful. But in reality he hasn't actually been found charged or found guilty of anything - yet. At the end of the day he is her son and, whilst most mothers would be appalled by this sort of behaviour, most wouldn't turn their backs on their son. Shes no different.

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 10:35:07

He is her son and she loves him. If it were your son, would you behave any differently?

Anniebach Mon 20-Jan-20 10:39:11

I don’t have a son but same applies to my daughters, no I wouldn’t behave differently.

mumagain Mon 20-Jan-20 10:43:43

You don’t go to confession in the Church of England