Gransnet forums

Chat

Thomas Markle programme

(228 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 22-Jan-20 22:59:02

All I can say is wow. My head is spinning with what I heard and saw. I did have sympathy for Harry and Meghan but hearing how Thomas was thrown to the wolves and left to fend for himself against the media onslaught has changed my opinion. He admitted to some lies but on the whole I thought he came across as a very sad old man, who had once upon a time had a close relationship with his beloved daughter. At the end of the programme where he commented on H & M leaving the royal family, I thought his summing up was accurate. This has all turned into a huge sorry mess hasn’t it.

Bellanonna Wed 22-Jan-20 23:05:00

He’s made a lot of money out of the media. I think he’s brought the problems of being hounded on himself. I didn’t like the way he came across and felt he was using a lot of emotive language. Just my opinion obviously.

pinkquartz Wed 22-Jan-20 23:07:34

He hasn't made much money though, nothing in at all in comparison to his daughter's wedding and everything else she wrangled out of this country!
He mad a tiny amount,
I imagine he was emotional....how can another grandparent not see this? he is an estranged father. Poor bloke.

Oopsminty Wed 22-Jan-20 23:10:41

He’s made a lot of money out of the media.

Oh, how much money has he made, Bellanonna?

Any links?

I always felt rather sorry for him

The radio interview Harry gave, referring to the Christmas that Meghan had spent with the Royals. The family she never had. Very hurtful.

He clearly loves his daughter

It's just a shame

I hope that Meghan will make contact with him before it's too late

Pippa22 Wed 22-Jan-20 23:11:14

I liked Thomas Markle and felt very sorry that he wasn’t protected and advised by people at the palace. I just cannot understand that neither Meghan nor Harry apparently cared enough about Thomas to visit him before the wedding. He obviously did tell some untruths and exaggerated but he said so. Meghan and Harry are truly hateful, nasty, insensitive people and have a lot to live with for all they put the old man through. Shame on you both.

Chestnut Wed 22-Jan-20 23:20:35

I have never liked the way he keeps talking to the press. He has also been interviewed at length twice on Good Morning Britain. However, I do have sympathy for the man having been shelved by his his own daughter, which must be very hard to bear. Meghan seems to have turned her back on her entire family which seems so callous, and I find it shocking that Harry and Archie haven't even met him. All I know is that I couldn't do that to my father. She comes out worse in this whole sorry saga because of the way she has treated her family, as if she has moved so far above them she wouldn't even drink out of the same teacups.

MissAdventure Wed 22-Jan-20 23:35:27

I would turn my back if my family kept going to the press about my personal business.
I'm sure Meghan has her reasons, none of us are privy to what happened between four walls, and lots of gransnetters have awful stories to tell about their upbringings. (Is upbringings a word?!)

MawB Thu 23-Jan-20 00:07:41

I too found him a sad old man - maybe not the brightest and certainly not the wisest. Way out of his depth, he seems to me to have been left behind when his contribution was no longer needed. Perhaps Doria is a wiser woman, she certainly knows how to keep her counsel but perhaps also her ethnic origins are more acceptable to Meghan’s version of her upbringing - along with the “working her way through college” claims.
Thomas’s “trailer trash” image was never going to be part of the scenario was it? His misguided attempts to smarten up his image singled him out as an obvious victim for the unscrupulous media and his pathetic lies only compounded his “unacceptability” to some. I felt for him and wished somebody kinder had taken him in hand while there was still time so that he could at least have attended the wedding and met the RF .
He wouldn’t have been any worse than Kate’s black sheep Uncle Gary from the Maison de Bang Bang would he?

Chestnut Thu 23-Jan-20 00:16:00

Meghan has spent time with her mother privately with no media attention so why could she not have met up with old Thomas and introduced him to Harry (and Archie). Whatever he looks like he is her father and she could have kept the meetings private.

paddyanne Thu 23-Jan-20 00:37:38

I cant abide people who deny their roots when they get on a wee bit,Ms Markel is a classic example of what my mother would have called a silly lassie letting it all go to her head ...sadly she's no lassie but a grown woman who should have known better

quizqueen Thu 23-Jan-20 00:53:02

It's interesting that Meghan's mother hasn't been hounded by the press like her father has been; I wonder why that is. He's just a sad old man mourning the loss of his daughter's company just like many on here claim has happened to them. The bit where she used him as inspiration in one of her speeches speaks volume about the relationship they used to have, and now he's been dumped because he isn't good enough for her image.

Yes, he's made some silly misjudgements but your average member of the public doesn't generally know how to respond to press harassment-some have taken her life because of it- and he seems especially vulnerable and should have been guided by the palace. I have never had a particularly positive opinion of Meghan and even less so after watching this interview. I bet her and Harry are seething tonight when they should be looking inwards at their own behaviour.

Calendargirl Thu 23-Jan-20 06:55:07

When was this programme on, I missed it?

NanKate Thu 23-Jan-20 07:07:37

Last night Wednesday on Ch5 I think. Must watch it on catch up.

ladymuck Thu 23-Jan-20 07:17:15

Personally I think he has used her celebrity status to turn himself into a celeb. He has put himself into the spotlight and for what purpose? Simply to blacken her name?

People should have more dignity and keep private family matters to themselves instead of making money out of it.

Sparkling Thu 23-Jan-20 07:24:10

I did not see the programme, however I feel sorry for Megan's father. He doesn't fit in with the image she wants to project and he is no longer useful. Her history of alienating people is long, Harry's turn will come. She projects empathy with strangers, but turns her back on the man who raised her, he is not good enough and doesn't serve her purpose. My heart goes out to him, he still loves her, he is not the brightest is men, has made mistakes, but who hasn't, she could have helped. Unforgivable to treat your aged parent,mwhom has been so ill this way. She is getting older, tottering on those heels will defy even her soon,I hope it brings her down to size.

craftyone Thu 23-Jan-20 07:36:53

It came across as an honest heartfelt interview. He is a very lonely sad old man who has made mistakes and they seemed to be genuine mistakes. I think that what we saw is the real deal. He has been dumped in old age by the child whom he loved and raised. Rather like someone dumping an old person who has become needy. M and H should hang their heads in shame

eebeew Thu 23-Jan-20 07:37:40

She uses people and she is using Harry.
I agree with MawB re her father.
Wonder why she went to live with her Dad when she was 11.

Nezumi65 Thu 23-Jan-20 07:41:15

He has put himself into the spotlight and for what purpose? Simply to blacken her name

This. He could stop talking to the media - that might help if he genuinely wants to reconcile.

Estrangement is often complex but the people I know who have cut off parents have done so with good reason. Given his behaviour of constantly selling stories of how badly he’s been treated by her I would say she has good reason.

I suspect her dreadful sister adds another complication into any chance of reconciliation.

Buffybee Thu 23-Jan-20 08:04:28

What I don't understand is why he has been wiped out of Megan's life, just because he made one mistake by colluding with a photographer and having photos taken looking at a computer with the screen showing Megan and Harry.
He was being hounded by the press, photos of him in the news, usually walking out of Supermarkets, being vilified in the news, described as a slob.
He told H & M he couldn't cope and the only advise Harry gave him, was to just not speak to them.
So he made a mistake, when a photographer offered to take some posed photos to try to improve his image.
Which he fell for!
Not realising that he and the photographer were being photographed.
Harry and Megan were very angry with him and I think he had a heart attack the next day.
He spoke to Harry and Megan from his hospital bed , while waiting for his operation and I think from that minute, they cut him off.
Whether they didn't believe he was so ill, I don't know!
My feelings are, he's been treated pretty badly.

Iam64 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:05:01

What kind of father sells photographs to the paparazzi before a wedding, then continues to sell interviews, photographs, letters etc?
Self pitying individual. I'm not in the least surprised that his daughter is distancing herself from him. His behaviour hasn't been that of a loving father.

Nezumi65 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:08:31

TM quoted (assume from the interview) in the daily mail today:

He said: 'At this point, they owe me. The royals owe me. Harry owes me, Meghan owes me. What I've been through I should be rewarded for. My daughter told me that when I reach my senior years she'll take care of me. I'm in my senior years now – it's time to look after Daddy

Can he really be so lacking in insight?

Ginny42 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:09:05

I see now why they wanted to get away before this was aired. I think MM comes out of it very badly. He gave her some very happy years as witnessed in the videos of the two of them in the home and out driving and fishing etc.

She wasn't with her mother for the vital teen years. Didn't catch the reason why, but she spoke so highly of him in her speech encouraging other girls to get an education as her father had encouraged her to. 'There should be more fathers like mine', she said at the time. Put that with the dreadful comment of Harry's about now having the family she never had. WHAT? The RF are one of the most dysfunctional families I know of.

I liked him and feel that he has been wronged. He simply wanted to put his side of the story and he's a sad man grieving for his DD as we all would. No compassion from the RF. He commented how sad that the RF placed Doria sitting alone at the wedding and how sad she looked. MM was responsible for her sitting alone. She was the only member of her family who measured up to her new life moving in aristocratic circles, a life she has now rejected.

I hope this man finds some peace.

sodapop Thu 23-Jan-20 08:21:24

I too think that Thomas Markle is a sad and lonely man. However I agree with Ladymuck such family matters should be kept private not aired for the whole world to gossip about.

grannyrebel7 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:30:19

No wonder the poor guy had a heart attack. Shame on Meghan for not visiting him after the wedding.

Lilypops Thu 23-Jan-20 08:37:31

I thought TM came across as a sad old man who was missing his daughter, they did share happy times together when M lived with him, I wonder why she went to live with him , I think he should have had more help and guidance pre wedding, how to dress , what would be expected from him in hid duties, , maybe he did get that help but M didn't want him there at her wedding, for her own reasons , Sitting her Mother alone in the church didn't look good , shame on the RF to have allowed this , The part I didn't like inThe interview last night with TM was the last bit,, They owe me , time to look after Daddy , that came across as needy and money grabbing , I don't know of any parent that think They owe me of their children ,, I feel a bad omen about this whole Markle family ,

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 08:40:45

Not a self pitying individual. An American, with no knowledge of the workings of the British royal family, who worked in Hollywood . Then retired and Living a private
life , suddenly the press descend , no one to advise him .

He made mistakes, the biggest was being guiding by the media, there was no one else there for him.

How different it could have been if he had been the same
support as his ex wife.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Jan-20 08:44:31

He certainly didn’t make any money at all from the Mail on Sunday interviews he gave.

At the end of each article the paper wrote that Mr. Markle never asked for or received any payment for the interview.

He was just desperate to set the record straight about some untruths Meghan had said about him.

Yes he made mistakes and certainly was very foolish in agreeing to the staged photo shoot before the wedding, but honestly, how many times does the poor man have to apologise to his daughter before he is forgiven?

Sycamore123 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:02:10

Lady muck I think your remarks are unkind, I thought Thomas Markle spoke very kindly about his daughter considering how he’s been treated. Imo people should try walking in his shoes. I thought he seemed a lovely man who perhaps has been naive and should been taken more care of by the palace

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 09:05:10

He should have been given care by his daughter and son in law not the palace.

Urmstongran Thu 23-Jan-20 09:23:22

I didn’t watch it and won’t be catching up but I do have to wonder why any father would tell lies about his daughter? He admits to doing so. Wrong on so many levels.

Sparklefizz Thu 23-Jan-20 09:26:34

Well, the whole debacle started when Harry said that he could give Meghan the family she never had (or words to that effect.) Either H had been spun a pack of lies by M and truly believed that, or he was being very unkind .... whatever it was, I can totally understand how incensed her family felt.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 09:28:10

how many times does the poor man have to apologise to his daughter before he is forgiven?

I agree with that comment. Meghan was a typical self-absorbed teenager having a nice life with her Dad. He doted on her and she was clearly a confident child.

Parents are not perfect. Meghan chose her father over her mother during the most difficult years of any child's life. He had the trying times whereas Doria got of lightly it seems.

Meghan uses people. She has discarded her father who does not cope well with challenging situations. Where was the help he so badly needed?

I don't entirely blame the RF. They've never had to deal with any Thomas Markles in the past. It was up to Meghan to explain where the problems might lie and ask for some support for both him and her. She must have known it would all come back to haunt her one day. It's not human nature to just shut up and crawl back under a stone.

I felt sorry for the poor man but not sure whether he's done himself any favours.

Just another episode in the long running saga . hmm

TerriBull Thu 23-Jan-20 09:35:41

I haven't seen the programme, but I think you need a heart of stone not to sympathise with TM, maybe he hasn't always acted wisely. I can imagine he could have been overwhelmed by everything going on around him, it's not as if he was eased into the upper echelons of British society gradually and as an American he may have felt even more disconnected from than if he were an average Brit. He was propelled out of nowhere, an ordinary guy, put under intense scrutiny. What I do know, my husband had the angioplasty procedure that TM underwent around the time of the wedding, you do have to take it easy afterwards and I think air travel in the immediate aftermath would be out of the question. It does seem to me there was scant concern for his health after the procedure.

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jan-20 09:47:07

I didn't watch the programme but I fear and feel that it's about the " poor me " syndrome, self pity and all that.

Did he ever have a job of work ? As it's usually those type who had nothing to occupy themselves or their minds that think others should be running around after them when older !

Oopsminty Thu 23-Jan-20 09:50:12

I didn't watch the programme but I fear and feel that it's about the " poor me " syndrome, self pity and all that.

Just watch it, Ellan

You can't possibly comment on a programme you haven't seen

Or do some research

And he had a very good 'job of work' actually

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 09:53:23

You need to watch it Ellan

You are way off beam with your understanding of what makes TM tick.

Nezumi65 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:54:50

He worked in movie lighting, won the lottery, lost the lot.

I’m sure he made mistakes but if he is genuine in his desire to reconcile he needs to stop talking to the media. He is making that choice now in full knowledge of how they work, however naive he was at the beginning.

lucywinter Thu 23-Jan-20 09:56:53

I think it was awful that Harry said she had never had a family before, when from the photos, it is obvious she has had, and been very happy with them.

I've never been able to see what was wrong for photos to appear of him being measured for a suit for the wedding, even though we now know that was all staged by an unscrupulous press photographer. Why was that so awful? Was he supposed to have journeyed to Saville Row for a fitting? confused

lucywinter Thu 23-Jan-20 09:58:01

I am rapidly losing my good opinion of Meghan. And of Harry too for that matter.

Very sad.

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 09:58:30

He was a lighting director for a television company and won
several - day time Emmys , his last award was in 2011.

Calendargirl Thu 23-Jan-20 09:59:27

Haven’t yet seen the programme but will watch it. Yes, he certainly worked, wasn’t he a cameraman in films or some such, always got the impression that was how Meghan became interested in the film industry, watching him at work as a youngster.
I recently re-watched the engagement interview. H&M were asked what their families thought to it all. Much gushing about how welcoming the Royals had been, how she and Diana would be ‘thick as thieves’. Then Harry said how great Doria was. When her father was mentioned, Harry had ‘spoken on the phone to him’ I think, and it sounded like meeting him was on the horizon.
Thereby hangs a tale.

Framilode Thu 23-Jan-20 10:02:20

I think her father has behaved rather badly but this is all since the engagement was announced. Why hadn't she introduced Harry to him before the engagement? In my opinion it is because he didn't fit into the scenario she had set herself.

Previously, on her lifestyle blog, she was always going on about how close they were and how much she loved him. He had complete custody of her from age 11 to 18. He paid for everything and brought her up as a single father. Her mother, I understand, went off to 'find herself' in some sort of hippy commune.

I think it is all very sad and the father should have been given a lot more help before the wedding - if they ever intended to have him there in the first place.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 10:03:36

quizqueen perhaps her mother has not been hounded because she has been quiet and dignified throughout.

TM has behaved in an embarrassing way and perhaps both Meghan and Harry believe that he would continue to be an embarrassment if they have a close relationship with him. They are attempting to keep Archie out of the limelight, possibly they think that Thomas would sell stories of his grandson to the highest bidder.

He has brought this on himself and continues to prove that he has not learnt a single thing.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 10:06:00

won the lottery, lost the lot
In his defence, he did pay for Meghan's very expensive education at a top girls' school.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 10:12:40

I think keeping him (a bit) closer would have been a better option than completely 'ghosting' him. Where on earth did that term come from?

Drawing him into their family life in a small way while emphasising that discretion is paramount could have gone a long way to avoiding further embarrassment.

I hate the thought that family members should just be discarded if they don't come up to scratch no matter how loving and supportive they've been in the past.

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 10:15:31

She has a record of discarding people.

eazybee Thu 23-Jan-20 10:23:18

I didn't see the programme other than a minute when I was channel hopping, but I gained an impression of an old, somewhat bewildered man, which may have been a clever performance.
I heard from a friend of a friend of someone with contacts within the Palace, therefore non-verifiable, that they were all concerned at how miserable Harry was on his brief return from Canada.
I don't know the rights or wrongs of the Markle family relationship, but it seems increasingly that Meghan isolates and damages the people she is initially close to.

Jhardy Thu 23-Jan-20 10:24:32

Why do any of you care? Families everywhere are dysfunctional. Stop giving them the undue attention they all so clearly crave. It makes you all as bad as them. Focus on improving your own lives You’ll get a lot more back that way

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 10:29:45

grin

Thank you for that advice about improving our own lives, much needed.
I need a new kitchen, that will improve my life.

EMMF1948 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:31:15

I didn't bother to watch it but 'the Royals owe me' is ridiculous, why should they owe him anything?
There must be a well-concealed reason why his daughter went to live with him from 11-18. Where was the mother?
There must be some reason who she cut him out long before she hit the jackpot with Harry. He didn't attend ay of her weddings.
There must be good reasons why he has little to do with any of his children.

annsixty Thu 23-Jan-20 10:33:14

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

ctussaud Thu 23-Jan-20 10:34:03

The empty seats beside Doria at the wedding were occupied later by parents of the bridesmaids and pages, who were with their children outside the chapel when that “Doria alone” shot was filmed.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:51

Focus on improving your own lives You’ll get a lot more back that way

How very 'mother superior' of you, jHardy Feel better now you've polished your halo?

Personally, I'm finding all this a welcome distraction from my own life's trials and tribulations.

I bet I'm not the only one. grin

BlueSky Thu 23-Jan-20 10:44:11

Well it's hard to tell who's the baddy. He was portrayed as 'all bad' as we only heard one side of the story. Now we know his side and a lot of things emerge about the early days. Anyway family estrangement is always sad, unless of course there are serious reasons for it.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:44:27

I watched the programme and agreed with the above remarks that support him. Poor old man who is likely never to see his grandchild and vilified by the press. Yes he should have had proper advice and support at the beginning.
What is interesting is the mainly different opinions on mumsnet. Having read them and feeling the younger generation certainly see things differently I thought let’s look at Gransnet and was not at all surprised to see opinions in line with mine own.

Joyfulnanna Thu 23-Jan-20 10:48:37

I agree with artdecogran and ginny. He was foolish at times but he wasn't given the support he needed to know what to do or say when the press came knocking. So he made some mistakes but he helped his daughter the best way he could. He's got my sympathy.

Anrol Thu 23-Jan-20 10:51:53

IMO one should never make judgements from only one view point. None of us has any idea of who said, did, what and when. I find it very sad that seemingly intelligent people take one persons view and treat it as a basis to have a full unbiased opinion on the situation. Balanced views can only be decided upon on hearing all sides of an incident/story etc.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 10:56:29

None of us has any idea of who said, did, what.

Anrol, Most of us are commenting on what we have heard and seen.

Jane10 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:03:41

All in all Harry has made a terrible choice of wife. Tying up with this American family with values and life experience so very different from those of the Royal family can only be disastrous.
Coincidentally, I was recently reading about the abdication of Edward V111. There was a quote from his brother commenting on how he will miss him and how sad he was about it all. Obviously, its not quite the same for Harry but near enough. William has lost his brother to an American schemer.

Chestnut Thu 23-Jan-20 11:09:51

Yes Jane10 the similarities with Edward and Wallis are really beginning to show. I agree Harry made a very bad choice of wife as far as family and Royal duty goes, but like Edward he fell in love and followed his heart down a very rocky road.

jaylucy Thu 23-Jan-20 11:12:37

I think that he has brought it al on himself and can find not one skerric of sympathy for him.
We don't know what went on between him and Meghan, but just as soon as the engagement was announced, he is out there (along with his other daughter) blabbing about things that quite honestly are nobody elses business. They obviously expected the sympathy vote plus probably money from Meghan and Harry to quieten him and I have no doubt whatsoever that he will have been paid for the stories both in the newspapers and on TV.
I just hope he goes back under whichever stone he crawled out from under. Whatever has happened in the past is his responsiblity, no one elses.

Jaycee5 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:35:09

I am not going to watch the programme but saw a review which said that she told the interviewer that Meghan had a caesarean. How could he know that if they hadn't been in touch? It sounds as if it is just something that he made up. In an event what sort of parent would divulge such personal information about an adult child that they claim to want to restore relations with.
That fact alone would make me want to never have anything to do with him again. He is doing this at a time that he knows is difficult for them. My father is unkind and capable of doing some pretty nasty things but even he wouldn't do that.

Chardy Thu 23-Jan-20 11:36:37

I adored my dad. If he'd told anyone in public about our family's dynamic or his father-daughter(s) - he had 3 daughters - relationship(s), I would probably never have spoken to him again, or let him see my children. If he'd sold family secrets to media repeatedly...

Jane10 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:37:56

He's not the sharpest tool in the box by the look of things. American attitudes to public sharing seem to be very different from ours especially where 'slebs' are concerned. Money talks.

luluaugust Thu 23-Jan-20 11:39:18

I don't think he was really out until he had the heart attack and failed to turn up to the wedding. Unless we go for a conspiracy he seems to have had every intention of being there. I think Prince Harry telling him to not speak to the press just shows how out of touch the Prince is with those who are unprotected. Plenty of ordinary people find the press on their doorstep for some reason and don't know what to do. It was a huge mistake not to look after him at the time of the wedding.

cathieb Thu 23-Jan-20 11:47:02

Whatever the relationship and its history, H&M’s handling of this has been terrible! Why wasn’t the PR in place? A visit to TM when they got engaged with a photo or two for the press.... Some advice and support for him about press intrusion and how to protect himself (and them).... No letters that could be ‘given’ to the press.....More photos with Archie and hugs and smiles all round. Perhaps there were real reasons why this couldn’t happen, but surely they could have pre-empted and avoided all the bitterness, dirty washing and bad publicity with some thoughtful planning. This has not helped MM promote her compassionate, caring woman image and she should have seen what was coming. Or perhaps she’s enjoying the drama and it’s reality TV impact on the RF.

lucywinter Thu 23-Jan-20 11:49:04

ctussaud. I was puzzled about that bit about Doria being "seated in a corner on her own". You've made it clear what happened. I am much relieved. Thank you.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 23-Jan-20 11:49:41

Meghan did not it appears, if what we observed on this programme , have an unhappy childhood the sort many experience when parents split. So where was her mother? Be nice to hear her side. Doubt this is going to happen.
What had her father done that were so unforgivable she was able to convince Harry she had no family.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:50:05

Didn't watch the documentary, but did see the documentary maker interviewed on Jeremy Vine yesterday morning.

He confirmed that Thomas Markel got paid 10% of the budget for the documentary.

I just cannot understand this need to air ones "family laundry" in public.

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 11:52:48

Harry uses his mother

pinkquartz Thu 23-Jan-20 11:52:56

One of the reasons I have been wary of M is because of how she has treated her father.
I have mentioned this many times.....it is not a sign of a good heart to tell a man who gave her so much to tell him he will never see his grandson.
I am still amazed that she has been so openly callous and not really been pulled up on this by the media.
It must have broken his heart.

I haven't yet seen the TV prog , might watch it later

Oopsminty Thu 23-Jan-20 11:58:09

I think he keeps talking because it's all he can do

He did explain why he gave interviews

sarahellenwhitney Thu 23-Jan-20 11:59:16

I watched and listened and the only one who can' tell it as it happened' is Doria.
Until we hear her side then we have no right to pass judgement. This I fear is highly unlikely.

Paperbackwriter Thu 23-Jan-20 12:03:30

I understood that Thomas M had very little to do with Meghan during her childhood and had barely seen her for years. We can't know what went on and it's not really for us to guess. He seems (to me) to be a self-serving whinger who wants a piece of the royal cake and has courted the media in order to get attention. I hate that Meghan gets blamed for rejecting him. She probably had good reason that she feels is not for sharing. And what kind of parent says, "They owe me". That's gross and rather threatening. Leave them all alone - maybe stop judging.

humptydumpty Thu 23-Jan-20 12:03:39

He said something about now intending to do anything he's paid for,as well as his closing comment about how they all 'owe him'.. I have to say he really came across to me as a loose cannon.

Apart from the lies he admitted, he said M was living with him when she went to college, though the voiceover said this was not true - maybe he believes things himself that are not true?

It's not clear how he could be protected from the media when he is in Mexico; and I haven't heard anything abot them camping out on her mother's doorstep..

HannahLoisLuke Thu 23-Jan-20 12:10:05

I too felt sorry for him but he's not doing himself any favours by continuing to talk to the media.
I can't believe that Meghan will soften her attitude after this.
Both he and her awful sister did too much blabbing before the wedding although TM didn't say anything against his daughter, just posed for a few silly photos. The sister though is something else, how long before we're regained with her opinions again. Can't forget her turning up outside Kensington Palace in a wheelchair! What did she think she might achieve.
Meghan is obviously trying to obliterate her background! And can't say I blame her where the sister is concerned, but poor old dad? No, that's just cold and heartless.

Yennifer Thu 23-Jan-20 12:12:59

I am very baffled by the comments. Why would he continue to do what his daughter has repeatedly asked him not to? Let's not forget that he blamed his other daughter for his heart problems and told Megan and Harry that it's a shame he hadn't died so they could pretend to be sad. He has admitted to lies he was caught out on... There could be many more. Sources close to Megan say that he hasn't reached out to her all the times he says he has and she has answered when he did. He just won't stop going to the media. He is the one who has soured this relationship and he refuses to do what is needed to put it right. No wonder he is estranged. Stop lying and making money in such a way that hurts your own daughter and maybe she will forgive x

sodapop Thu 23-Jan-20 12:24:19

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Jan-20 12:25:01

He is an elderly man, not in good health who had such a wonderfully close relationship with his daughter growing up, so the programme made very sad viewing to see how he has been callously cast aside.

It still amazes me that Harry has never met him.

He should have done so before they got engaged which would have been before the disastrous photo shoot. If Thomas had been given proper support I am sure the photo debacle would never have happened.

I do wish the documentary had explained how he lost the large lottery win.

Oopsminty Thu 23-Jan-20 12:25:22

Yennifer.

This all kicked off the Christmas Meghan spent with the Royals

Harry was doing an interview about how marvellous it had been for Meghan. Her first Christmas with the family she never had. Really?

Meghan must have told him that.

Blatantly untrue of course

H&M made no effort to meet her father

I think I'd feel a bit hurt if my daughter and her fiance couldn't be bothered to meet me before the big day

There's wrong on both parts

But Meghan must make her mind up

Her family isn't what is required

And now Harry's family's been given the boot as well!

JanaNana Thu 23-Jan-20 12:40:37

I thought the video clips and photos of Meghan which TM allowed to be shown, portrayed a loving father/daughter relationship and a strong bond between them. In one of Meghan's speeches she praises her father highly for his advice and encouragement. It's my belief he (TM) wanted people to see for themselves that he and Meghan have had a lot of happy family memories together in the past after all he is her father. They should have visited her father personally to be introduced to each other not just a phone call saying I have a new boyfriend ...and he's a prince, then putting him on the phone to speak to each other ,not an easy conversation to be introduced in such a way. I feel he's been treated shoddily from watching this programme and I don't blame him for having his say.

annsixty Thu 23-Jan-20 13:08:18

In all the various threads, and there have been many, over the past months opinion is so evenly and diametrically divided, that I am amazed.
No- one has been swayed by the posts and remain as opposed and steadfast as they started out.
Love them or hate them, no middle way and now it extends to her father.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 23-Jan-20 13:10:36

As an afterthought where now will this intended family appear from? The one Harry would give Meghan after claiming 'she never had one'?
Hasn't he just walked away from his own family?.

schnackie Thu 23-Jan-20 13:16:08

It's no wonder no one knows the real story. In these GN's comments, one person said that TM said that Meghan had a C-Section. He did not - he said SHE was born by C-Sec and so he got to be the first person to hold her. Someone else has said he wasn't at her first wedding! According to many news sources, he and Doria both walked her down the aisle at her first wedding in Jamaica! None of us can distinguish facts from opinions or hearsay. Personally my opinion is that he is just trying to tell his own (version) side of the story. The idea of 'ghosting' such a close family member is abhorrent to me.

luluaugust Thu 23-Jan-20 13:16:22

Yes that phrase "they owe me" did have an underlying threat to it.

pinkquartz Thu 23-Jan-20 13:38:26

It is getting strange to hear nothing from Doria......who was not living with M from M age 11 til 19.
We don't know why.

Also I don't really care....but I am not happy we are still paying for M&H security,
They are wealthy they should pay for it.
They are big scroungers.
They should let the Met Police force use that money to put more police back on the street to deter all the crime going on.... That would be very caring, for others, not really a RF thing though is it.
What is involved in being a Patron?
Does it actually involve any work?

icanhandthemback Thu 23-Jan-20 13:43:43

If you met my father you would think he was absolutely charming, completely open and the life and soul of the party. He refers to us as his wonderful daughters and makes out that we are the world to him. If you didn't know him, you would think he is wonderful although once you got to know him, you'd probably raise your eyebrows a few times at how often the conversation revolves around him. You wouldn't recognise that man who had the family dog put down after an argument with his wife and came back swinging the lead, whistling cheerfully. You wouldn't recognise the man who took the children from their beds one night, kept them from their mother for a year and then abandoned them for 14 years when the courts ordered their return. You wouldn't recognise the man who begged you to keep your relationship a secret from his second family because he didn't want his new children upset. You wouldn't recognise the man who had to have his son's eulogy returned 4 times because it was supposed to be about his son, not him. Actually, nor would his friends because nobody is allowed to know. Appearances can be deceptive especially when family work to keep things quiet.

Theoddbird Thu 23-Jan-20 13:50:51

This is again a discussion full of people surmising. Nobody knows the actual truth or has evidence of what has happened. It is all about what has been said by the media...

Calendargirl Thu 23-Jan-20 13:53:08

I’ve just watched the programme on catch up, how decadent in the middle of the day!
I thought TM came across as quite genuine in what he said. He admitted he’s been foolish and naive, and that on occasions has lied.
He should have been given much more guidance from the Palace and yes, from Harry, about how to deal with press interest and intrusion after the engagement was announced.
I always felt the heart attack before the wedding was a convenient excuse for him not to attend, I feel ashamed now to think I didn’t really believe it had occurred.
I think TM doesn’t fit the image Meghan wanted portrayed of her background. For some reason, her mum is ok but not Thomas.
It’s all rather sad, and no one comes out of it very well, including H&M.

Keeper1 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:57:11

I am all for H&M doing their own thing we do not know what has gone on behind the scenes. I imagine that Court circles move in a time honoured way. However I would have thought Harry given how he feels about the media and how his Mother was left to fend for herself before marrying Charles would have offered some advice or protection for her Father. I am still curious about the press intrusion complaints because I haven’t seen any apologies if I missed this. I do not recall any coverage of her walking her dogs while here? I wonder at the comments made by “friends” just saying ....

grannyscott Thu 23-Jan-20 14:50:19

If he clearly loves/ed his daughter he would have kept his own counsel and his mouth firmly shut!

seacliff Thu 23-Jan-20 14:51:11

I just watched the programme about Thomas Markle. There was much evidence of a loving, proud and supportive Dad. It was also good to see that although divorced, he and Doria seem to have continued to have a good parental relationship, both being there at the end of school celebration etc. Also he still seems concerned about Doria when she was shown sitting alone at the wedding.

When Harry made that comment about "the family she never had", that might be what he believed was true, from what Meghan told him. I think she can be quite manipulative. She must have put Harry off meeting her Dad by some means. It would be normal behaviour for someone like Harry to want to meet his future father in law. We just do not know what he was told.

I wonder what Meghan will say to Harry when he sees the programme with all the happy videos and photos. I'm sure she'll have some story ready.

I liked Thomas more than I expected to. I had thought the heart attack was not true too. He has been stupid at times, but I can understand his point of view. There have been lies on both sides. I suspect he's right, and sadly he'll never meet Archie.

Daisymae Thu 23-Jan-20 14:53:33

I don't understand why Harry never met him before the wedding. Surely that would have been the time to establish a relationship? He has been very much sidelined and this mess is the result.

Washerwoman Thu 23-Jan-20 14:59:15

It's just a sorry mess for all of them really isn't it? wasn't going to watch and actually felt 'oh no ,don't do that' on hearing he was doing an interview.But I did watch and the one thing that struck me was Meghan's extremely warm tribute to his in that speech in 2013 -or was it 15?.Either way as an extremely competent speaker and already successful she praised him.Credited him with encouraging her to be an empowered woman.
Just a few years later,even more successful in her career and now very high profile, she and Harry can't meet him in person just once ?Affording a flight is hardly a problem.And to suddenly face press on your door with no back up or advice.And actually in retrospect that comment of Harry's about Meghan now having the family she never had seems awful .To Doria,let alone him.It seems through her teenage years she was a real daddy's girl and he did indulge her.To the detriment of her half siblings I would suspect,and maybe that's where all their bile comes from.Not saying that's right by the way.
I took the 'they owe me'to mean less about money and more about emotional support.However he's now so upset about not seeing Archie etc he's thought sod it .She will never forgive me so why not talk.Maybe that's wrong of him.But hearing Meghan complain that she was struggling and nobody asked her if she was ok.Who knows ?It's bizarre and sad in equal measure.
I actually had more sympathy for him than I expected.And also felt he was been foolish ,but essentially genuine in what he said.

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Jan-20 15:26:10

Washerwoman I agree with all you say. What a very sad scenario. Meghan appears to have had some lovely times with her father, and according to her speech, was very proud of him. Can't think why the men in suits or Harry didn't send over a PR person to handle the press intrusion, her dad was obviously well out of his depth and struggling. I can't really see why posing for those pictures in the internet cafe was seen as such a heinous crime - stupid, naive and worst of all for Meghan, embarrassing, yes, but surely not enough of a sin to cut off all contact? Since then things appear to have gone from bad to worse - with both sides feeling aggrieved and upset; I do hope that they can all get together some day and sort it out, but I doubt it.

Gagagran Thu 23-Jan-20 15:42:08

Schnackie Meghan's first wedding was not the one to Trevor Engleson in Jamaica. Her first, to Joe Giulianio was annulled and maybe Thomas did not attend that one (it was a Catholic one) which could be causing some confusion.

I read that Her Majesty was unimpressed about MM having the white dress and very long veil when marrying Harry given that this was her third wedding. It's all a real mess for the Royal Family and I hope they are ready to catch Harry when he returns to the UK after she dumps him, which I feel certain she will. She is a bolter.

timetogo2016 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:45:07

Like father like daughter.
Has to be seen and heard.

Sielha Thu 23-Jan-20 15:49:57

He obviously feels a great sense of injustice, which is why he has continued to speak out and not go quietly. Can’t say I blame him for that. I felt very sorry for him, he’s so remorseful about the staged photos and the subsequent estrangement, it’s hard not to. I too wondered why Meghan went to live with him at age 11 - pretty unusual for a girl of that age to choose to live with Dad rather than Mum - but no reason was given. And fair play to him for being honest about taking payment for interviews etc, makes a refreshing change! Hope Meghan and Harry get to see this and decide to reach out as, when he eventually passes away, it can never be made right.

Mimibunz Thu 23-Jan-20 16:01:32

He’s a POS, along with her half sister.

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 16:06:17

Gaga there is not one shred of evidence that MM was ever married to JG. The lie appears on some of the most stomach churning, vomit inducing, filthy blogs the internet has ever spawned.