Gransnet forums

Chat

Mother that keeps on giving

(78 Posts)
Dec46 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:35:02

When my mum was alive she always gave me lovely presents on my Birthday and Christmas time so since she died,nearly 10 years ago, I have bought myself a special present on those days and pretend it's from her.
This Christmas she gave me a lovely heated fur throw and today I'm snuggled up on the sofa with it wrapped around me and it reminds me of her.
Do you have any special things you do to remind you of past loved ones?

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jan-20 16:49:47

I have kept a very few ornamental items that they loved. I didn't like them for years and am not an "ornaments person" but couldn't part with them.

These ornaments have crept into my heart - and looking at them it makes me feel close

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:52:44

I buy myself a Christmas and Birthday Gift from the money my Mum left to me each year. It brings me comfort as do the things of hers that are "dotted" round our home.

tanith Tue 28-Jan-20 16:54:45

I have a vase that belonged to my Mum which I try to fill with daffy in the spring to remind me of her, she was Welsh and loved daffs.

ginny Tue 28-Jan-20 16:57:00

I have my Mums cake knife. Reminds me of cosy tea times and her delicious sponges.
I have a small ‘smurf’ figure that my Dad always had on the dashboard of his car. It now sits on mine.

Little things but very special to me.

Framilode Tue 28-Jan-20 17:44:23

I have some ceramics that belonged to my Mum. They are very collectable now, from the 1930's, and quite valuable. I love them because they belonged to her not because of how much they are worth.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Jan-20 18:16:07

My mum was cremated wearing her wedding ring, but I had a new one made from what was left of the previous two, which had worn very thin. I wear it with my own.

I’ve also got a lovely 1930s green glass vase of hers that is at its best filled with daffodils in the Spring.

annodomini Tue 28-Jan-20 18:39:06

One thing that reminds me of my mother is a small wooden spoon, worn on one side, which shows me in which direction she stirred the custard or gravy. I also have several items of jewellery she gave me, especially the amethyst pendant for my 21st birthday.

Iwastoldtheredbecake Tue 28-Jan-20 18:45:59

I’ve tended to keep and use their practical items, mums steamer saucepans, an Aunts rolling pin that I use at Christmas, a tea set from another Aunt, mum s tea strainer, it’s nice to use them all and remember them being used when I was younger.
I still have my Grandads last, as he had 13 children it must be well used, I’ve had it for 40 years and DH used it for the first time last week!

Thorntrees Tue 28-Jan-20 18:59:12

I wear my Mums engagement and eternity ring on my right hand,they keep me feeling close to her.
I also have several ornaments that she was very fond of, like others I can’t bear to part with them.
Most precious is ‘Ben’ the teddy bear who she and Dad always took out in the car with them and put to bed every night with his own blanket, he sits on the bedding box on my landing now, I always say hello to him when I pass.Daft I know, but I feel I should look after him now they are no longer here for him.

Grannyben Tue 28-Jan-20 21:16:12

When my mum left school at 15, she bought her mum a little box containing one white handkerchief. It was embroidered in one corner with a little spray of violets and, underneath, the word mother.
When granny died it was given back to my mum and, now, I have it, it's worth nothing but is absolutely priceless

jacq10 Tue 28-Jan-20 21:36:14

Nice post. I wonder Iwastoldtheredbecake how many young people would know what a "last" is?

AllotmentLil Tue 28-Jan-20 22:05:31

I wear my mother’s gold bracelet and her rose gold chain every day.

Dec46 Tue 28-Jan-20 22:20:26

It's lovely to hear of such special items that keep alive precious memories. As well as my Mum "buying me presents" I have quite a few things that belonged to her.I have a three tier cake stand which I use for posh occasions, an ornament she was given when she retired and other items too.
I also have a St Bernard Dog key ring that belonged to my dad.
A pipe that belonged to my grandad and cup,saucer,plate that were my Great Aunt's.
Such lovely memories of them all.
jacq10, It took me awhile to remember what a Last is.Not something we hear about these days.

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jan-20 23:18:11

I'm assuming he was a cobbler Iheardtheredbecake?

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jan-20 23:46:37

Or is there a different sort of last?

BlueSapphire Wed 29-Jan-20 07:24:32

I have my mother's large mixing bowl that I remember from my 1950's childhood. I remember her making pastry in it every Saturday morning and the Christmas puddings and cake being mixed in it every year. I now make my Christmas cake in it.

M0nica Wed 29-Jan-20 08:06:56

I have so many bits and pieces from my mother that it is hard to pick any particular item. But after my mother died, my father started to buy me flowers every Christmas when he came to stay. Since he died DD has bought me flowers every Christmas saying that they are not from her but from my Dad.

endlessstrife Wed 29-Jan-20 08:16:05

I’ve got and still use, a food mixer which was my gran’s. I don’t bake often, but when I do I think of her. She was much closer to me emotionally than my mum ever was.

Greta8 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:18:57

I wear her much prized emerald and diamond ring and her engagement ring all the time. I use her bread board and pepper grinder daily and I've upcycled her wooden kitchen trolley. Her bequest to me helped us buy our home for cash, and many years later on my father's death I passed this inheritance on to my daughter to help them buy their house. I see my mum's smile (and mine and my daughter's) every day in my beautiful baby grandson's smile!!! People always said we three women were so alike! She always taught me that money was a tool to be used wisely, rather than hoarded - and I've always followed that advice. I think of her most days - she was amazing. She would be filled with joy to know I have a grandson.

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 08:20:30

I am another who just remembers loved ones through little things that used to belong to them, or simple memories.

My grandad once age me a little card pencil (a tiny metallic refillable pencil, used for writing down scores when playing cards). It is, I presume, totally worthless in monetary terms, but it is very precious to me.

While I do have a gold ring that used to be my grandma's, I remember her more every time I use kitchen utensils that I kept after she died.

I remember my dad whenever I see a beautiful sunrise or son set, or on certain walks - anything that he taught me to love - and sometimes make a point of walking a certain route when I want to think about him.
Then there is the memory imprinted on my mind of him blowing me a kiss as I left his house the week before he died. He'd never done that before in his life, so that picture is so very precious to me.

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 08:21:28

Sun, not son!

Greyduster Wed 29-Jan-20 08:39:36

I have an old brown Denby coffee pot that my mother used to make my father’s coffee in. I put daffodils and pussy willow in it in the Spring. I have a ring of hers, but don’t wear it. And my father’s Army cap badge which went all the way through the war with him. He wasn’t bothered about his medals, but he treasured the badge.

travelsafar Wed 29-Jan-20 09:11:49

I have a green Denby jug that was my mums and i use that for flowers too. She used it for custard but we seldom have custard and certainly not the same amount our family of seven had. So it is bought out when ever i have flowers, especially daffs.

Gagagran Wed 29-Jan-20 09:48:28

Lots of small things and gifts which Mum gave me, including her own Mother's engagement ring (which is far too small for me and has a diamond missing!). What I treasure most are the hand-written recipes she gave me and I can hear her voice when I read them and tell her "I'm making this today Mum".