Spring ?

(49 Posts)
Lisagran Sat 01-Feb-20 13:54:38

Spring is making an appearance in the garden = a feeling of hope

NotAGran55 Sat 01-Feb-20 14:03:56

www.welfordpark.co.uk/visit-info

The home of The Great British Bake Off and Snowdrops

timetogo2016 Sat 01-Feb-20 14:37:05

I noticed there`s also blossom on the trees/daffs budding/snow drops showing their heads.
What a wonderful country we live in Lisagran.
And it costs us nothing.

NanTheWiser Sat 01-Feb-20 16:21:44

Today definitely had the promise of Spring! Breezy but sunny, snowdrops are out as are the cyclamen coum, buds becoming visible too. I even got the mower out to do the first cut of the year, so nice to see the lawn looking neat and tidy.

chicken Sat 01-Feb-20 16:22:43

Primroses in flower here in Sussex.

DoraMarr Sat 01-Feb-20 16:35:59

Just back from a very blowy walk in the park, here in Birmingham, with two grandchildren. We looked at budding Hawthorne, catkins and drifts of snowdrops, and the sharp spikes of daffodils.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 01-Feb-20 16:41:30

It's lovely, isn't it? I've a few snowdrops and a helebore in the garden. They cheer me up even though we'll probably still have a few cold weeks to come.

annodomini Sat 01-Feb-20 17:01:42

I'm going to Scotland in a couple of weeks and hope to visit Cambo Gardens in Fife to see their stupendous display of snowdrops of every shape and size.

Lisagran Sat 01-Feb-20 17:30:21

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 19:03:54

Lisa and her jugs are back grin hooray!
You do the nicest arrangements, simple is an art form.
I saw a flowering cherry tree in bloom a few days ago, and a clump of daffs in bud, very early.
Not much out in my garden, two primulas so far, but just today noticed about five flowers out on the aubretia.

Ohmother Sat 01-Feb-20 21:39:40

Oh my. We’ve had such an awful January health wise so seeing the crocus and daffodils has really lifted my mood. Bring it on!!! ?

Lisagran Sat 01-Feb-20 21:53:50

lemongrove grin. These are only my little jugs wink.

The mini daffs in the garden are from the table decorations we did for youngest daughter’s wedding a few years ago smile

Beechnut Sun 02-Feb-20 06:59:48

What a lovely reminder every year Lisagran. My son-in-law grew the flowers for his and daughter’s wedding and I’ve got some planted in my garden.

Firecracker123 Sun 02-Feb-20 07:08:29

Yes Spring is in the air, can't wait for the lighter nights. ?

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 09:06:27

Very pretty Lisa ??

JenniferEccles Sun 02-Feb-20 09:49:27

Aren’t we lucky to live in a country with such lovely seasons ?
I don’t even mind the winter. Get home, turn the heating up, pull the curtains and get ready to settle down for a cosy evening.

Having said that I am still looking forward to the garden bursting into life in spring.

We have hedges of rhododendrons both sides which put on a wonderful display in late spring.

clareken Sun 02-Feb-20 09:54:37

I have noticed that it is getting lighter as I leave work, just before 5pm. Bring on the daylight.

Romola Sun 02-Feb-20 10:04:10

Yes do try to get to Cambo for the snowdrops, annodomini. It's been a fixture for us for years as my DD and family live nearby and her birthday is this month.

Aepgirl Sun 02-Feb-20 10:08:10

I always liken the coming of spring to the Resurrection. A month or so ago everything was drab, wet, and ugly, now there are signs of life and colour.

AllTheLs Sun 02-Feb-20 10:15:50

The smell of daphne is incomparable - and it's blooming right now....

Teetime Sun 02-Feb-20 10:16:04

I agree it was so nice to have a trip to the garden centre yesterday and plan a few changes in the garden this year. I feel very hopeful at the moment and very much looking forward to spring. smile.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 10:18:05

Aah Daphne, the scent reminds me of whip and top season!

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 10:25:45

Just planted up a tub of Spring flowers to brighten up the porch, flowers near the door are always lovely.

Kim19 Sun 02-Feb-20 10:29:13

Thank you, L, for this topic. Truly uplifting. I spied 'something' from my window and, when I went to investigate, discovered a stunning fuchsia denticulata. The happy boost that gave me was wonderful. I'm still wrapped in the joy. There any be many a hiccup but Spring has us in sight. Hallelujah!

Minerva Sun 02-Feb-20 10:51:32

My pelargoniums in the ground in the south facing garden and at the north facing front of the house have flowered all Winter. Primroses too and wild garlic while Camellias are coming into flower at the top of the bushes and tulips are budding. I just hope we don’t have a hard spell to put paid to them all except the primroses which flower through anything.
At a time of doom and gloom it does spell Spring and hope.