Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kind, caring and sharing kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 01-Feb-20 15:03:09

Here we are again. Happy as can be...all good pals and jolly good company.

Whatever we need to share...feel free to join in. cupcake wine brew flowers smile sunshine

Bellanonna Sat 01-Feb-20 23:06:34

Soop, what a delightful picture of Teddy to grace the new kitchen.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:35:12

Urmstongran Lovely to have you join us lot. The more, the merrier. smile

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:43:02

callgirl1 The new shop is heaps better than the original. It's funky and with it. A bit like we two. If you do visit, we shall most certainly hope to see you.

ann I know how it feels. The tongue seems drawn like a super magnet to the gap. Stay well.

Doodle Bless! grin You've made my day.

Fennel (hugs)

Nannyfaraway Good...we would enjoy sharing company with you more often.

Teddy has his Mummy's huge eyes. He's a darling boy.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:44:13

chicken You haven't been far from my thoughts since we heard news of Baker yesterday. flowers

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 11:46:28

Hallo to the lovely new bright spring kitchen.

I am feeling a little sad today but will try and pick up as the day goes on.
TOYA

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 12:16:55

dragonfly Sad...why is that?

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 12:20:28

soop there are so many sad things happening in GN and elsewhere. For some reason I cannot shake them off. My usual optimism has gone out of the window.

GrannySomerset Sun 02-Feb-20 12:27:36

Any news of how Baker is faring?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Feb-20 12:29:46

dragonfly flowers and virtual hugs.

I am avoiding some threads at the moment as some are so vitriolic and others just far too sad.

I shall just bide my time here in soops kitchen with my coffeee and book (and sorry it is a Milly Johnson lighthearted "chick lit" book nothing highbrow for me ATM)

callgirl we were fortunate as our friend had just won strictly so our seats were very good.

TOYA

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 12:39:06

dragonfly I also have days when I feel that the sadnesses of others becomes almost too much to bear. I get into a state of mind that forces me to dwell on cruelty and all manner of things that people inflict on others. It's horrible. BUT...there is also kindness and hope. Today, I came across the first clump of snowdrops in our garde. A sign of gentler times ahead. Rest, and know that us lot care for you.

Hello GrannySomerset. There is coffee in the pot and a few flapjacks to share around.

GrannyGravy13 Vitriolic comments are far removed from my agenda. I cannot be bothered to read the forums that appeal to those who enjoy spiteful bantering.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 13:27:28

gg, I love a good Milly Johnson. They are just easy and sort of mind freeing. Good 'chicklit' is much misunderstood imo - it is just another way of seeing the human condition. Well, that's my excuse.

There is a lot of sadness out 'there' at the moment, isnt there? I always feel guilty about allowing it to make me sad when it is not my sadness, if you see what I mean.

Our Persie is still very, very spotty and poorly - which is also making me sad as she looks so ill.

I think a good brew is called for.

Susan56 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:36:02

Gorgeous picture of Teddy soop?
I too have been feeling the weight of everyone’s sadness but see exactly what you mean kitty.The kindness in soops kitchen and on the good morning thread for and to all our virtual friends is very uplifting though.
Grannygravy,I too am avoiding a lot of threads at the moment.The vitriolic comments on some are unbelievable especially when people genuinely are asking for advice.
Hope Persie is soon feeling better kitty?
? to all who need them.

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:39:33

I agree Susan when the advice can be so simple but one gets one's head bitten off- is that how these folk live normally?

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 13:40:35

With you there Kittylester - why am I in tears I ask myself, and the only answer is that something inside “reaches out” to those who are suffering or mourning, that lets a little of that sorrow in, and perhaps diminishes us a little.
However, deep breaths needed and one foot in front of the other , otherwise in the immortal words “We’re all doomed!”

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 15:30:00

Maw grin

kitty Wishing Persie a speedy get well.

annsixty Sun 02-Feb-20 16:04:07

It just brings it all back, every time.
How true is “No man is an Island”
Because we have been there we know what others are feeling, it is as if we are back there ourselves.
My house, in spite of others sharing with me, is so empty as is my life.
When my friend asked me about going out on Valentine’s Day ,although I agreed, it saddened me and I have now gone off the idea.
I can imagine people feeling sorry for us and perhaps it may be a reminder of what they will one day face.
On a lighter note my D said it’s ok mum, folk will think you are a couple.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 16:15:26

ann Please reconsider the Valentine treat. Good company. Decent food and a glass of what you fancy...that's what I prescribe.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:22:44

You are right ann.
Yes things have been brought home to me this weekend and I seem to have lost my optimistic hat.
I have to find it again otherwise it will be hard to carry on - three more brutal chemos and umpteen radiotherapies.
As Maw says we are doomed.

I hope you feel better soon ann flowers

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 16:54:58

Found you!
I know I’m doomed. I’ve had no heating since Thursday as my boiler has once again conked out! I’m fed up of it. It’s happening far too often and it’s still under guarantee!
My plumber can’t find what’s wrong with it and is trying to get Vaillant to come tomorrow to look at it.
At the moment I’m lying in bed with a fan heater going. My bedroom is the only room I can keep warm.
As my arthritis has decided to flare up and I feel ill generally, I’ve not eaten since Thursday.
Perhaps tomorrow will be another day! (? Gone with the wind?)

Doodle Sun 02-Feb-20 17:00:28

galen you must eat. Do you not have someone who could help with a meal. Failing that go and stay in a hotel till it’s fixed. You shouldn’t be cold in this weather. Hope you feel better soon.

chicken Sun 02-Feb-20 17:05:08

So many thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes for my Baker. The vet rang this morning to say that there was some improvement, his blood pressure is better than it was, he has eaten a bit and looks a little brighter. He was allowed out of his pen to have a walk around which he enjoyed but soon flopped. He is still very weak and snuffly, cause of snuffles unknown. They want to check his throat but he is too weak for an anaesthetic. He's being kept in the hospital again tonight and they'll review things tomorrow morning.

The vet on duty has been so kind and informative for which I'm really grateful.

The house seems very empty without our ginger boy.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 17:09:02

Galen You cannot remain in your room without some nourishment. Can you make a flask of soup and take it to bed with you? Is there no one who can call in and keep an eye on you? I'm concerned.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:10:27

Galen I do hope you get your heating sorted out soon and you feel better. You reall should try and eat. Could you send for a takeaway?

Good news about Baker chicken I hope he continues to improve.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:32

chicken Your Baker is a trooper. Thank goodness that he's in good hands. The vet sounds first class. I shall call in again tomorrow for further news. You both remain in my thoughts.

I am about to log off. Have watched tennis highlights and the rugby. Have supped many cups of tea and read the papers.
It's been a very grey day. I am longing for the coming of spring. We all need some sunshine to brighten our lives.

TOYA smile moon

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:55

Oh dear Galen why are you not eating? You will be feeling colder than ever. My go-to in extremis is Heinz tomato soup with toast and (lots of) butter)
Dragonfly I hope I have not contributed to feeling down, I did say “ otherwise we are doomed”.
It’s a sad weekend for many reasons (not least the rugby) but my inner Pollyanna says we have to hang together, support each other, dish out tissues with one hand and if possible cake with the other.
Talking of which England’s performance in today’s Six Nations match is entirely responsible for the fact that I have eaten two custard tarts - straight off! blushblush

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion