Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange happenings

(35 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 03-Feb-20 11:57:16

My husband ordered a book recently, to be delivered by Royal Mail.
We were away at the weekend, and on our return found a postcard from RM, telling us that they had tried to deliver a parcel, on 31/01/20.
This morning DH visited RM collection point and was told that the delivery address had been changed to a different house number. 4 houses away from us.

He was shown a form on which the alteration was noted. According to the member of staff he spoke to, this alteration had been made on line!!!

DH hasn't done it, so who has?

The parcel is out for re-delivery, and our neighbours now will be on the look out for us.

DH contacted the people from whom he ordered the book, and they have our correct address.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
If it arrives, I will let you all know.

Chestnut Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:28

That is strange indeed but sounds more like a computer glitch than a case of fraud. Why would anyone change the address to 4 doors away, there seems to be no purpose.

vampirequeen Mon 03-Feb-20 12:33:31

Someone miss typed a number and their covering their back. I wouldn't worry. As Chestnut said, a scammer wouldn't just send it four doors away.

vampirequeen Mon 03-Feb-20 12:35:02

Arrrrgggghhhhhhh THEIR!!!!!! Sorry pedants......THEY'RE. I'm tired and only had two coffees today. Well that's my excuse. grin

BlueBelle Mon 03-Feb-20 12:38:07

When I recently rang a parcel delivery Company about a parcel that had not been delivered they asked for my postcode when I gave it to them, they told me my address didn’t exist I told them to put the address in manually but they assured me they had no option to do that, my house has stood here for 140 years ? I did get my parcel in the end but it took a number of phone calls to sort it out

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 09:06:17

Well, the book was delivered, yesterday, to our neighbour, who brought it round.

There were two address labels on the parcel. The correct one, and the amended one?
We are still completely in the dark about how the amendment came about.
When DH asked at the Royal Mail office yesterday, the chap just shrugged his shoulders!

polnan Tue 04-Feb-20 09:51:36

In a critical mood

I think Royal Mail is the pits..... should not have the title Royal, whilst I rant..

Mail delivery is sheer purgatory

Greenfinch Tue 04-Feb-20 09:56:46

Glad all is well now Auntieflo. I have never ever heard of this sort of thing happening before. It is a good job you have friendly neighboursr.

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Feb-20 10:01:17

I sent a house plant as a present to a friend who lives in a 200 year old cottage in Norfolk.

The delivery company said, twice, that they couldn’t find his cottage, the address didn’t exist! I thing he just couldn’t be bothered to drive that far out. My friends hamlet is so small, ask anyone and they would have told the delivery guy where my friend lives, by name.

I was refunded as they had given up.

Annaram1 Tue 04-Feb-20 10:06:47

I sent birthday flowers to a friend who lives in a house which is one of five, down a country lane. The delivery man couldn't be bothered looking for the name of the house (they are not numbered). So he put the flowers on a patch of grass nearby. They weren't found for 2 days.

lemongrove Tue 04-Feb-20 10:13:00

Auntieflo when ordering the book, did you or your DH check the delivery address? When you type in the post code it will offer you quite a few numbers on that street/lane etc if you don’t click on a particular number it will just deliver to the postcode.I imagine that you did choose the right house number, but am casting around for explanations.?

Justanotherwannabe Tue 04-Feb-20 10:29:50

I recently ordered some seeds. The address was correct, but they were delivered to a house, same number, about half a mile away in a road with a totally different name and postcode.
Amazingly, out of the hundreds of houses possible, it ended up at my best friend's house!

Riggie Tue 04-Feb-20 10:51:19

I ordered from Lands End. Have used them before (and since). When my parcel did not arrive, I rang and they said hadn't anyone been in touch as it had been delivered to an elderly lady who lived some distance away. It was correctly addressed to me. The only thing in common was that both our streets start with the same letter and are just a name with no "st" or "rd" at the end. We're urban and not hard to find!! Her carer had rung to let them know they had it and lands end had asked the courier (hermes) to collect and redeliver. They didn't. The number of times that I was told it was an elderly lady made me think they wanted me to go and fetch it. It was two not very frequent buses each way!! They eventually decided to send me a replacement by 1st class Royal Mail and then proceeded to ring at intervals to see if the couriers had delivered the original. (They never have...yet)

Skweek1 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:12:34

Things do go wrong, but generally pretty good. I bought a light/alarm for MIL's birthday and liked so much that I bought a second for me. Sadly hers was faulty so swapped mine and asked for one which worked. Without warning, Amazon arranged for collection and the collection company were angry, as Amazon phoned them on Thursday night and told them that it would be ready early on Friday morning. I was still packing it when they turned up and had to return on Saturday.

Skweek1 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:17:11

On the other hand, many years ago my aunt sent a card to our neighbours. She didn't know their name or house number, so addressed it to "The Family,The Newly painted green house on the corner, West Malvern Road, West Malvern, Worcestershire". There was no problem - arrived from Aberdeen the day after posting! And there were over 300 houses in West Malvern at that time.

annodomini Tue 04-Feb-20 11:19:13

A few years ago, I ordered a Scotsman calendar when it never arrived, I found that it had been delivered to an address which I certainly had not given them, in fact, to an address down the road which turned out to be a community centre and not a residential address at all. I never tracked it down and the Scotsman sent a replacement. In this case, it wasn't down to the PO. It must have been someone who entered the wrong address on the label.

Tweedle24 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:24:20

I recently had a order delivered from Amazon. I had a notification of delivery with a photograph of my parcel outside a door I did not recognise. I rang Amazon and had a replacement delivered the next day. I can’t help wondering what happened to my original delivery.

moggie57 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:26:25

i got an even stranger one. signed for a small package from hermes.didnt notice the address till afterwards .name and postcode wasnt right.so i spoke to hermes who told me not their fault as the number of the flat was right. told them they need glasses as the postcode is not mine. they told me to go deliver it myself .i said no (i have done this twice before). they said it come from another courier company at that they were at fault with the address.so i look up this company which is in china. tried contacting them and email. please call it says .no way am i contacting china .so here i am with someone elses parcel/ even if i deliver the parcel to the right address. he's a muslim guy was very rude to me last time that i opened his parcel. told him put his address not mine.. yet another parcel arrives with my address and his postcode.think i have another go at hermes.or see if i can catch hermes delivering around here.see i signed for itnot realising it wasnt for me .HELP. ???

moggie57 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:27:00

not having a go at muslims just stating his culture

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:39:29

Friends of mine who live outside a small Scottish town frequently do not get parcels which are then sent back to sender.

The reason seems to be that as their houses (two sisters living door to door) are the among the four last on a country road that the postman doesn't bother to drive up there if there is only post to one of the addresses.

The Royal Mail deny this, of course, but there seems to be no other explanation.

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 11:48:29

Thank you for all the replies.
Lemongrove, I am sure that DH checked the address. As I mentioned, there were two labels on the parcel.
One correct, the second one, incorrect.
When DH phoned the company despatching the parcel, they had / or said they had, used the correct address.
Anyway, all is now well.
Just got to sort out our Talk Talk bill now.
Thanks to all.

Mirren Tue 04-Feb-20 13:12:15

My house , built in 1905 and definitely big enough to see , stands on the main road with the street name clearly displayed on the front garden wall .
Easy to find you would say ?
Nope !
Enter post code or even address into any google map or similar and, hey presto , we have move almost half a mile away .... from Xxxxxx Crescent to Xxxxxxx ROAD .
Happens all the time. Delivery men need a long winded explanation and the poor folks at Xxxxx road must he fed up . They even almost had our new wardrobe delivered there.
I don't understand because our house was there first .
Very odd !

Revis Tue 04-Feb-20 13:31:10

I realised a parcel was late arriving so tracked it online. Message from Parcelforce said they couldn't find the house so had left a card to say parcel was at local post office! The postmaster couldn't explain but had my parcel, thankfully

grannydarkhair Tue 04-Feb-20 13:36:20

I had a letter delivered from France a few days ago. The number part of the address is correct, the street part is one letter wrong. There is no post-code. But it is clearly marked Leeds, I live in Dundee. ??

CleoPanda Tue 04-Feb-20 16:17:33

Last week, I was waiting in all day at home for a parcel delivery that needed to be signed for. The delivery slot was “all day between 8 and 8” ! It didn’t arrive and the customer service helpline closed at 8. I had a tracking number and was surprised to see it had been delivered to “ the front desk” and signed for by “Woods”. ( not any name connected to me or my neighbours) The following day, I had one of those surreal conversations where you begin to doubt your own sanity. Eventually the CS guy seemed to accept that it had been misdelivered & promised to look into it. 24 hours later, he did ring me back. They knew it had been delivered and where, and he would arrange for it to collected and redelivered. Another 24 hours and he rang again. He wanted to know if I would like it be delivered quickly or after the weekend. I said quickly. I put the phone down; there was a knock at the door, and there was the courier with my parcel. I still think the courier was hiding in the shrubbery waiting to hear if he could deliver it or whether he had to take it away until the following week!