Gransnet forums

Chat

Wot! No candles?

(44 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-20 13:56:22

Storm Ciara is on the way so as we're often susceptible to power cuts I thought I'd better stock up with candles while in Tesco this morning.

I headed off to the aisle where they sell firelighters, matches etc.. That's where you'd find ordinary household candles surely?

Nope!

After trekking up and down various aisles I asked a shelf stacker where I could find candles. I resisted the temptation to do a Ronnie Barker and ask for four candles because she looked far too young to know what I was on about and definitely wouldn't think there was a joke in there somewhere.

'Oh yes.' she said. 'They're in the clothes section.'

'Eh?'

I told her I'd looked where I thought they'd be and would never have gone to the clothes section in a million years.

'I know,' she said, 'But they're right at the end of the clothes section and nobody knows where that is so if I say clothes at least people go in the right direction. There's no aisle number there, you see?'

I knew exactly what I would find when I got there. Scented candles of every size and description. Not a plain old shove it in an empty wine bottle type to be seen.

I CBA to ask again so I bought some tea lights instead. grin

vampirequeen Fri 07-Feb-20 14:05:30

I haven't seen proper candles for years.

annsixty Fri 07-Feb-20 14:06:32

I did the very same thing a few weeks ago.
My GD and I looked everywhere.
I got them in the end from Amazon.
Prices Household candles, plain white. Just what I was looking for.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Feb-20 14:06:56

The only place I have seen "proper" candles recently is in Ikea.

merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-20 14:24:50

Yes. It will have to be good old Amazon in future.

Witzend Fri 07-Feb-20 15:04:50

I’ve got a pack of ordinary Price candles - can’t remember where I found them, must have been a while ago, but it def. wasn’t Amazon. Maybe Sainsbury’s or Asda, I don’t have a Tesco anywhere near.

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Feb-20 15:10:17

I got mine from IKEA.
Had them years and thinking about it I wonder why on earth I bought them.
But they may well come in handy one day.

ninathenana Fri 07-Feb-20 15:14:05

Prices candles 5 for £2.30 from Amazon......and other places smile

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 15:14:12

Oh goody! Due to my sluttish laziness and inattention to housework, the Christmas candles are still by the back door, 'waiting' to go in the garage - so no problem here!

HurdyGurdy Fri 07-Feb-20 15:23:07

I hope you don't have cause to use them Merltogran.

But is this an old wives' tale? I remember back in the days of the power cuts in the 70s, my auntie telling me she always put her candles in front of a mirror, as the mirror reflected the light and made the candelight twice as bright.

I can't decide if she was a genius, or pulling my leg!

merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-20 15:27:39

I tried that once HurdyGurdy putting candles in front of the large mirror over the mantlepiece.

Ended up with three bloomin' great sooty streaks all over the mirror. grin

lilypollen Fri 07-Feb-20 16:10:15

Probably worth a look in Wilko or £ shop for white unscented candles.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 07-Feb-20 23:08:33

I haven’t used candles for years I have several battery candles in few of my rooms,

M0nica Sat 08-Feb-20 08:59:57

Hate candles, unless they are the purely utilitarian kind.

We have one of those independent all purpose hardware stores in my shopping town. I know they would have candles there because of the number of times I have gone there looking for something arcane in the household way that I have been unable to find anywhere else - and found it.

I always have candles at home. We have had several houses where power cuts were a regular occurence, including the first ten years we lived in our current home, so I am always prepared.

Before electricity, the reason big rooms had chandeliers was to increase the light from candles by bouncing the light off the crystal drops.

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 09:40:28

I have several candles tucked away with a box of matches in case of electricity cuts ( a regular occurrence here!) and a torch in a handy place too.
The cuts always seem to come just as I’m cooking....grrrr.
Utility candles are a thing of the past in shops Merlot but yes, the best are on Amazon.

Bathsheba Sat 08-Feb-20 09:49:52

We have candles somewhere in the under sink cupboard. Had 'em for years in case of a power cut. Can't remember the last power cut, though. Yonks ago.

Hmm, shouldn't have said that, should I? We all know what'll happen now..... hmm

Auntieflo Sat 08-Feb-20 09:56:07

This thread made me look for a box of candles that I bought in the dim and distant past.
Here they are! There are 20 in an IKEA box, and cost me all of £1.25, from a charity shop.
I looked to see if they are still selling them, and the nearest I got was these, unscented chandelier candles for £3.75 a box.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 09:59:42

Chandelier candles!
How does one light them when the butler has his day orf?

And does Del Boy sell them on the cheap?

Chestnut Sat 08-Feb-20 10:05:41

Many years ago I had a paraffin lamp a bit like this, and used that instead of a candle to create 'mood lighting' when friends came round. We didn't have all the fancy lighting available now, and I don't remember scented candles then either.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:12:08

I always find the more prepared I am the less likely we are to have a power cut.

I'm quite happy to deny myself the dubious pleasure of leaping out of the chair when the lights go off, tripping over the barking dog, fumbling for the torch which I hope is still in the place it should be (on the top shelf of the bookcase) opening various cupboards and doors looking for gas lamps and candles and hoping there are some recharged batteries for the radio.

Then just as the last candle is lit, the dog has calmed down, DH has stopped shoving extra logs on the woodburner, the radio has spluttered into action and I've poured a large wine the lights come back on! grin

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:13:29

We've got one of those, Chestnut.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:14:49

I won't remind DH though or he'll be sending me out for paraffin. hmm

annodomini Sat 08-Feb-20 10:19:26

Some of the cheaper scented candles are horrid and you have to pay the earth for a really good one. During the three day week, one of DS2's first words was 'cangol'!

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 12:01:22

Have posted this on another thread also. I still have a stockpile of candles which my mother purchased in the Winter of Discontent and the 3 day week.

Artdecogran Sat 08-Feb-20 12:13:21

Why are you all using candles? Shouts in horror! They are dangerous, so easily knocked over and anyway give a poor light. Nowadays there are such things as battery operated lights! You can have little imitation nightlights or more powerful lights that light a room. Much safer and you can move them around without getting burnt. Get with the times Ladies and Gents!