Gransnet forums

Chat

Special Gifts

(92 Posts)
Teetime Mon 10-Feb-20 08:54:59

As a child at home and at Sunday School I was taught that everyone has a special gift and it would eventually show up in your life. I'm still waiting for mine - has anyone got a special gift they can tell us about. I dont mean family/children but a characteristic or skill of your own.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 10-Feb-20 09:02:38

My adult kids and I were talking about this a while ago. One of them said they were impressed at how I can reverse into parking spaces and the other is surprised at my talent for table football! Neither skill is likely to make the world a better place, but I'm proud of them now they've been pointed out!

timetogo2016 Mon 10-Feb-20 09:10:24

My DIL told me no matter how she tries her dinners/puddings taste nothing like mine and my son agrees.
So I made a crumble and gave it to DIL and said tell my son you made it just for a laugh.
She did and he looked at her and said yeh right mom`s been then.
We did laugh.
And it`s lovely to be complemented on my cooking even at my age.

JackyB Mon 10-Feb-20 09:13:36

When my children were little we went to a kiddies' morning service. The girl running it had chosen the oyster as a theme. I shall never forget that, however ugly or unimpressive someone's outside is, inside there is a beautiful pearl.

My own gift is being able to speak languages, which my children are all grateful to have inherited.

Greenfinch Mon 10-Feb-20 09:21:28

I can make brilliant scones ( with sour milk). grin

ninathenana Mon 10-Feb-20 09:23:14

Errr, umm, give me a few hours and I might be able to think of something.

Lucca Mon 10-Feb-20 09:30:17

How bizarre i too am an ace at reverse parking ( a long while ago I zoomed into a very tight space and then Heard through the open window of the car a voice saying Oh well done Miss! It was one of my year 13 students. I count it as one of my finest hours)and am very good at languages. However I can’t sing dance sew cook, draw etc etc

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Feb-20 09:34:12

Still waiting for mine to manifest itself!

DanniRae Mon 10-Feb-20 09:38:50

I am proud to say that my chicken curry is much enjoyed. But as I make it without any proper measurements just a shake of this and a splosh of that it can vary. This is fine when it's just for Mr R and I but a bit of a gamble when we have guests hmm

Granny23 Mon 10-Feb-20 09:58:37

Although I am multi talented (not) in many fields, I am famous and much praised for my jam and soup. Apparently, these surpass any that is available in shops, restaurants, or home made. I find this very strange because although making soup and jam is time consuming it is very straightforward and easy to do, whereas MY reverse parking was a hard won skill, of which I am very proud.

Crazygran Mon 10-Feb-20 10:06:34

According to my grand daughter I make the best chips in the world . Praise indeed !!!!!smile

kittylester Mon 10-Feb-20 10:06:48

Teetime, èeerrrrrrmmmm - I'm thinking! confused

Justanotherwannabe Mon 10-Feb-20 10:10:03

I'm good at spatial stuff and colours. On the other hand I'm really clumsy, I don't buy expensive plates!

Hert2Hart Mon 10-Feb-20 10:13:11

I can make chocolate disappear.

geekesse Mon 10-Feb-20 10:16:17

Here’s an odd one. I sleep well. No matter how awful life gets, I fall asleep within 5 minutes and sleep soundly. I can do 10-minute cat-naps, 45-minute naps and a full night, under any circumstances. I can even nap standing up against a wall. I am never sleepy when I’m awake, and can therefore think clearly to deal with life. It has carried me through family crises, professional upsets, illness and grief. I never realised this was a gift until I discovered how many people don’t sleep well.

Phloembundle Mon 10-Feb-20 10:18:30

My gift is empathy, which stood me in good stead during my nursing career.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 10-Feb-20 10:21:15

I find it easy to charm wild birds to come to call, and feed up close and personal.
Robins and blackbirds are my speciality.
It gives me so much pleasure, and entertains my friends or
any visiting tradesmen that happen to be around.

jenni123 Mon 10-Feb-20 10:25:18

I can write poetry and have had a couple published.

nipsmum Mon 10-Feb-20 10:26:22

I don't think this is a gift but here goes. I love people, helping them feeding them looking after them, I like cooking and am quite good at baking and knitting, No special talents just normal things that I love .

tanith Mon 10-Feb-20 10:26:24

I’m not a great cook but my family all love my puddings,pies,cakes especially at Christmas. When I said I wasn’t making Christmas cake last year they all said it won’t be Christmas without your cakes Gran that’s good enough for me.

paperbackbutterfly Mon 10-Feb-20 10:27:03

Two new colleagues have both independently said I'm easy to work with as I'm good at explaining new tasks and make them feel as ease. I think I am a people person so I hope this is my skill

moobox Mon 10-Feb-20 10:30:00

I am wondering if logic is a special gift. It can often be brought to bear when no-one around seems to have any

polnan Mon 10-Feb-20 10:35:57

oh geekessee I envy you

me? I think I am an encourager

MerylStreep Mon 10-Feb-20 10:46:44

My daughter thinks I'm the best sandwich maker ever.
The only thing that people admire me for is my paintwork and cutting in.

Craftycat Mon 10-Feb-20 11:06:53

It seems so wrong to blow my own trumpet but I am a very good cook- especially cakes, biscuits, pies & tarts etc. My steak & kidney pie is legend apparently!
AND I can park a car !!
That is the extent of my talents though- hardly earth shattering.