Gransnet forums

Chat

Divorced.Remarried.o r still with your first love

(82 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:23:19

Having a conversation with some friends last week, we were discussing how many of us have been divorced, we are four friends in our fifties and sixties, all four of us have remarried, one friend on her third marriage, not one of us could think of any other friends that were still with their first loves,

TwiceAsNice Tue 11-Feb-20 08:26:10

Divorced after one very difficult marriage. Completely traumatised by the time I left. Would NEVER consider marrying again.I try and learn from my mistakes!!

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 08:30:14

Not with first love, but certainly with first and only and for ever husband. Very few of my family or friends are divorced. Since we have known most of them since they were first married or even as children, there has been no self selection in the process.

BlueSapphire Tue 11-Feb-20 08:36:31

Not with my first love as the 'rat' had no intention of marrying me, but was with my darling DH (who I met the year after the rat and I split) for 49 years until he died nearly two years ago. Not looking for anyone else.

craftergran Tue 11-Feb-20 08:39:32

Remarried. Both myself and DH were married for a considerable time to other people. I thought I'd never remarry until I met DH.

annsixty Tue 11-Feb-20 08:41:49

I married at 21 to my first proper boy friend , we were married for over 60 years until he died.
My 2 children now 54 and 50 both have broken marriages, one divorced, one separated for over 5 years.
Few of my friends and family are divorced but like me several, in fact most , have divorce in their families.

harrigran Tue 11-Feb-20 08:49:53

I am still with my first love 57 years on.
None of my friends or family have divorced.

Granny23 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:51:58

Not quite my first love - I had 2 or 3 boyfriends before I met him - but knew he was 'the one' the minute I first saw him and spoke to him. We have been married 54 years, He is now in a nearby Care Home (advanced Dementia). Sometimes he is 'lights on but no one at home' but most days he knows who I am, He clings tightly to my hand, makes me laugh and I get a cuddle and a wee cheeper.

One day I crept up on him from behind and threw my arms around him. He pushed me away, glared at me and announced, "I am a very happily married man". then he recognised me and apologised. Says it all really.

Auntieflo Tue 11-Feb-20 08:52:12

We met when I was 16, DH was 19. Married when I was 19, and he was 21, and we are still together almost 59 years later.

Trudy1925 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:57:39

Married at 19, two lovely children by 25. Divorced after 9 years then married DH 27 years ago - after being married to a selfish man, I appreciate my loving DH so much and we’re very content though the repercussions from splitting when children very young affected my dear AC thus me, for years ahead.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:58:18

That’s so lovely to hear Harrigan, I have four children and 3 are still going strong with first relationships, mines second husband, and happily married, my parents were first loves and married for 56 years until died, lovely post too Auntieflo

Sara65 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:58:55

Had a very turbulent two year relationship in my late teens, very much in love at the time, but a very nasty ending

Married a very good friend a couple of years later, and have been married for forty two years.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 09:01:21

None of the above

Widowed 44 years ago, took time to come to terms with it,
Daughters very young, as they reached high school age elder
daughter didn’t want me to marry again. Years passed and I
got use to being on my own. I regret that now.

kittylester Tue 11-Feb-20 09:04:55

Not first love but definitely the enduring one.

paddyanne Tue 11-Feb-20 09:04:57

Married at 21 ,we've worked and lived together every day since.I'll be 66 in March .I woudn't hange him for the world.

tanith Tue 11-Feb-20 09:05:48

Divorced my first love after 20yrs he’s since died, remarried my dear friend and love who sadly died 18 mths ago after nearly 30 happy years. I’m happy being alone now.

paddyanne Tue 11-Feb-20 09:06:44

change him for the world,bloomin keyboard

Harris27 Tue 11-Feb-20 09:10:04

Married at 17 had three sons and have been married for 43 years in April. Not all sunshine and roses but been a good run! Might keep him a bit longer ha ha?

EllanVannin Tue 11-Feb-20 09:10:25

I was married at 19 and sadly lost my H in 1994 when I was 54 after 35 years and have never bothered since . Too busy with work and family since and because I looked after H through his illness I didn't want to repeat the process again in later years----selfish, I know but I was jiggered back then.

D in Oz married her first boyfriend and they'll be celebrating 40 years of marriage next year.

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 09:16:08

Divorced, remarried, widowed and several long term relationships - so fairly average I think.

gillybob Tue 11-Feb-20 09:17:49

Divorced, remarried, widowed and remarried

3 times in all. shock

BlueSky Tue 11-Feb-20 09:18:31

Happily remarried to my second lovely DH. Can't believe how two men can be so different. As they say a second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 09:18:53

Granny23 what a lovely post and uplifting tribute!
How lovely that he still recognises you and can tell you he loves you. ?
PawB and I met at a party in our first term at St Andrews in 1966, married three weeks after graduation in 1970 and survived the vicissitudes of marriage with all its ups and some serious downs until we said “goodbye” in November 2017.sad
It wasn’t always perfect, it it was the best.

MrsEggy Tue 11-Feb-20 09:26:43

Met DH when I was 21, married in 1964, still happily together. None of my friends of the same age have been divorced, though some sadly widowed. Is this a generation thing? We were all married in church, and thought long and hard before marrying, and saved for years to afford a home.

Smileless2012 Tue 11-Feb-20 09:27:49

Mr. S. was my first love and we celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary this year.