Gransnet forums

Chat

(Storm) Dennis the Menace

(51 Posts)
MawB Sat 15-Feb-20 15:23:16

That’s it!
A quick foray to Waitrose and I have returned with the DVD of the Downton Abbey film.
Please do not disturb for the rest of the afternoon/day grin

PS How are you seeing out the storm?

AGAA4 Sat 15-Feb-20 15:29:17

Staying at home with a good book and texting people to check they are ok. It's wild out there!

merlotgran Sat 15-Feb-20 15:34:00

I hope you don't have a power cut Maw grin

MawB Sat 15-Feb-20 15:39:35

I would rig up a generator and a hamster wheel for Hattie Merlotgran !

tanith Sat 15-Feb-20 15:40:30

Just me and 15yr old Granddaughter gotta run out for fish and chips as promised later though, I might take the car rather than walk ?? in this. I hope everyone stays safe.

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Feb-20 15:44:12

It has rained in NW London but the wind at present is mild. I did move my bins yesterday in preparation. I have a feeling it may hit here late evening and tomorrow.

tanith I fancy fish and chips- no vinegar for me please.

rafichagran Sat 15-Feb-20 15:48:53

Just come back from next town. I drove there. I bough a few things so will not have to go out again this weekend if I do not want too.
Partner had a bad accident so cannot go out, so got him a collection of the free papers to read.
Had to detour as 3 fire engines and a police car blocked the road. Seems a large tree is in danger of falling and that is on quite a busy road.
Despite the weather I had a walk as sciatica is bad, so now at home, lying on the settee with steaming tea and 3 pillows propping my leg up. I am going to read a book on my kindle while partner is watching athletics, the indoor one's.
It could be worse. Make sure you all stay safe.

tanith Sat 15-Feb-20 15:49:06

Charleygirl5 ?

MawB Sat 15-Feb-20 15:51:03

Sorry to hear about your partner’s accident Rafichagran - hope he is on the mend now.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-Feb-20 15:55:45

I'm staying in as per usual with the newspaper and the crossword, telly later if no power cuts. I'm hoping the storm will not be as bad as the last one and that it dies down for tomorrow morning.
Ciara blew over my little shed which is still lying on its front, (door trapped beneath) and it scattered chairs and bins over the lawn. Trivial compared to some poor souls.
A dear friend who calls herself a 'cheeky-chops' has rung the local garage on my behalf - they'll put it upright again as they have strong men and machinery. Fingers crossed.

MamaCaz Sat 15-Feb-20 15:55:48

More tiles have just come off our roof in the wind- still waiting for repairs after some came off last weekend.
Can't actually see where these latest have come from!

Apart from watching/listening for more damage, I hope to spend the weekend tucked up nice and cosy indoors.

I thank my lucky stars that flooding is about the last thing likely to affect us here. I can barely begin to imagine how awful it must be to have to deal with that and its after-effects sad

Witzend Sat 15-Feb-20 15:57:10

Went to Asda earlier, so stocked up with essentials. Vast pot of spag bol sauce on the go - have 2 nieces on half term from boarding school to feed as well as us.

Sofa and Kindle for now, but later shall watch my recently found DVD of Love and Friendship, a wrongly titled version of Jane Austen’s Lady Susan - the story of a classic scheming baggage, so should be fun! - but I’m rather afraid it won’t match up to the book.

Daisymae Sat 15-Feb-20 16:00:01

Just a bit windy and wet here. Might start the Downtown Abbey box set Christmas present now that you have reminded me!

merlotgran Sat 15-Feb-20 16:10:30

I've just rented Downton Abbey on Prime to watch later this evening after the final of the Masked Singer. It was nearly £14 to rent two weeks ago so I resisted. Today it's £4.99

That's a bit cheeky!

rafichagran Sat 15-Feb-20 16:10:33

Thankyou Maw I agree with Lovebeigecardigans there really are worse off. Even with Sciattica I am still Robust,struggling now as even a little cough affects it, that said I did see some people struggling when I was out, and I do know some of you will find it difficult with the wind.
Enjoy your fish and chips with your Grandaughter Tanith I dont eat fish at all but your post has me hankering after Chicken and chips with a pickled onion and plenty of salt and vinegar.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Feb-20 16:18:16

As yet, nothing to get excited about here in the North West. No gales as such, the odd shower but looking murky at the moment which could be a sign of what's to come I don't know.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 16:21:55

It was pelting down here with sharp gusts of wind; the rain has eased in the last 15 minutes but the wind is worse.
I'm in the conservatory so viewing and listening to the weather but in the snug and warm, feet on the heated floor!

Well done going for a walk rafichagran, I should have done the same to ease mine (not nearly as bad as yours but very annoying) but I had sewing to finish.

Oh goodness I've never heard the conservatory rattle like that, even with Chiara!
shock perhaps I'll go in.

Stay safe, warm and dry everyone.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 16:38:15

I’m in, cosy. Reading and disappearing down the rabbit hole known as Gransnet! Just made a cuppa and watching the rain - it’s bucketing down here now in South Manchester! Gusts of strong wind now too. Happily we are snug as bugs.

Enjoy your DVD Maw!

Yiayia4 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:22:28

Very windy and heavy rain here in Surrey.
Very warm and
cosy in the conservatory,yes a nice chilled Rose would make it even better.

callgirl1 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:46:40

Very rough here, was going into town this morning, but my son told me not to, I`m glad he did!

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 17:50:12

Oh blimey. I have to fly back to work Monday, but so far, flights to my destination have all been cancelled. shock

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:56:04

Very windy here, took dog out for second walk, but she wasn’t keen, DD2 and nephew have arrived for dinner, DD is staying over, no stables in the road so far this week! Trees are very bendy which I hadn’t noticed before and a mirror tile just fell off the bathroom wall.... which is bizarre.
DD1 did a Beach clean up and says that she feels as though she has been sand blasted, now home soaking wet and is checking the level of the river close to her cottage, it’s high but she is a tad higher.

Stay indoors everybody and stay safe

BBbevan Sat 15-Feb-20 18:25:12

Horrendous here and haven’t been out all day. The wind is gusting and making the house shake, Our windows are covered in salt crystals. We are bread less, fruitless and by morning milk less , so will have to venture out to the Coop, which is near. Supposed to calm down a bit by 10 tomorrow. Here’s hoping . Keep safe everyone

merlotgran Sat 15-Feb-20 18:25:47

Very rough here. Candles and gas lamps at the ready just in case we have a power cut.

I've also downloaded the latest Simon Serrailler on to my Kindle. I got caught out last weekend when we were off for nearly three hours. Nothing to read sad

G&T going down nicely. grin

Cabbie21 Sat 15-Feb-20 18:38:05

Windy but not too bad.
Worked on family history this afternoon then ordered a take-away . It has just been delivered and it is the wrong order! Nothing I like and three times more than we ordered.