Gransnet forums

Chat

To keep or not to keep bootleg and flared trousers jeans

(103 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:44:02

Today decided to de clutter my wardrobe, and finding out I’ve got flared and bootleg trousers cigarette trousers, etc etc do I give to charity or do I keep just in case they all come into fashion again one day! I’m very much into my skinny leggings, jeans, I’m thinking maybe they should go as I tried the bootleg ones on and even those I thought, oh too much material at the bottom, so I’ve put them in charity bag, eaten my lunch had a cuppa and still pondering stay or goooo haha

Saetana Mon 17-Feb-20 17:00:13

Bootcut trousers and jeans are now a classic style - I have two lovely pairs of bootcut jeans and a couple of pairs of smart bootcut trousers, I almost always wear bootcut jeans and trousers. I'm 5'3" and a size 18 and I think they make my legs look longer, not to mention the shapewear jeans are really handy for taming the muffin top grin

MawB Mon 17-Feb-20 16:51:21

“My bad “ I think Bbevan
I have PM’d you to apologise flowers ???

Kalu Mon 17-Feb-20 16:45:53

BBbevan Please stay and enjoy the thread. I have pmd you.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:43:24

I'm not worried about mine going out of fashion because I've never been in fashion.

BBbevan Mon 17-Feb-20 16:39:56

Thanks Callistemon

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:11:00

If it's the post I'm thinking of, it doesn't read as hurtful, BBbevan, just a bit jokey.
btw, I had a 20% off voucher for M&S this morning featuring tight jeans and wondered if that meant they were still in fashion or that they have huge stocks to get rid of fast!

BBbevan Mon 17-Feb-20 15:22:42

Isn’t it funny that when a poster you admire makes a negative remark about your own post., that you feel quite hurt. Shan’t bother with this thread anymore

Albangirl14 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:14:19

If you don't want to wear them anymore give them to the charity shop. I am loking for 70,s clothes at the moment for a party and our local charity shop has a vintage section.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 17-Feb-20 14:13:17

I only have bootcut at the moment. I do love straight but have another 2.5st to go before they'll be ok on me.

I'll never go back to flares as I'm not so keen but each to his/her own

SpringyChicken Mon 17-Feb-20 14:11:04

My chubby friend looks so much slimmer in her straight jeans and her legs look longer. She’s ditching all her bootlegs.

Atqui Mon 17-Feb-20 14:08:44

Banging my head

Atqui Mon 17-Feb-20 14:08:26

Having caught one foot in a pair of baggy PJ s and ending upmacross the room banging my on door , I’m sticking with skinnies or narrow straight legs!

PernillaVanilla Mon 17-Feb-20 14:05:21

I can't even begin to consider anything other than skinnies for the time being. Until it stops raining my main criteria is whether I can just slip into my wellies wearing them.

Kalu Mon 17-Feb-20 13:58:59

Oops oh dear??‍♀️ My post was meant for colliemum

Kalu Mon 17-Feb-20 13:57:31

Should be an easy one for you Laurensnan. A shop I always found something in when living in southern France, Massimo Dutti. I am now back living in Glasgow and we have one in town. On line too if they still have them. Good,luck

Laurensnan Mon 17-Feb-20 13:53:41

I only wear bootleg and they are still sold everywhere so must still be 'in'. I am average size but have flabby knees and calves so skinny jeans or leggings horrify me ?. Boot leg jeans make my legs look less bulky.

colliemum Mon 17-Feb-20 13:45:59

@Kalu, wax-coated jeans sound interesting. Lots of wind here in south-west France - where do you get them from?

Kalu Mon 17-Feb-20 13:26:22

The dress trousers I only occasionally wear now are all straight leg and that will have to do me. I only ever wear flats with trousers so boot legs, I don’t think, would work without a small heel. Something less to worry about ?

I do agree though with the wear what you are comfortable wearing, regardless of what is fashionable at any given time.

lilydily9 Mon 17-Feb-20 13:02:16

I've given away so many clothes, hardly worn, over the years only to find they come back into fashion and I could have kicked myself! The only advice I'd give is, if something suits you and you have the space for it then hold onto it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:23:35

I'd cut them up for sewing or patchwork projects, no matter if they're coming back into fashion. I don't think they're flattering to we short-arses I'm afraid, Merlot especially as I'm carrying extra weight now.
I may have worn them when I was young and daft but as far as I'm concerned when a fashion has gone, it's gone and I don't want to repeat myself.
I hope I'm reasonably stylish without following fashion.

Mtc59 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:02:07

Keep what suits you and what you feel happy in, but right now any shape jeans/ trousers are in height street shops, so whatever you choose will be ok.

Tapdance6 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:00:29

I wear what I feel comfy in. Both bootleg and skinny. Not bothered about fashion as it comes and goes like the wind.

Lancslass1 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:56:33

I agree with Merlot gran and BlueBelle and no doubt others who have posted .
Bootleg jeans are the most flattering .
I only wear them.
Who cares about fashion.
I would rather look good.

Tree58 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:50:37

If you like them, they look flattering on you, and you feel comfortable and confident in them then keep them. Be your own person and wear what makes you happy.

Diggingdoris Mon 17-Feb-20 11:32:11

I've recently sorted my wardrobe and decided I could no longer wear baggy trousers, so I got the sewing machine out and tapered several pairs by using a straight leg pair as a template. Now I don't feel quite so frumpy and only have usable things in the cupboard, instead of saving things just in case they come back in fashion. Quite chuffed with myself.