Gransnet forums

Chat

Are our Welsh grans ok ?

(31 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 17-Feb-20 18:07:58

These floods in the west look really bad I hope everyone is safe
Please look after yourselves

Pantglas2 Mon 17-Feb-20 18:18:58

Thank you BlueBelle for your kind thought - I’m in north Wales just outside Conwy and me and mine are all ok. Floods have been horrendous inland and I know of folks who suffer every couple of years, regular as clockwork.

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 18:22:00

Very bad in South Wales, 12 of the 18 bungalows where I live
were flooded , not mine.

Sparklefizz Mon 17-Feb-20 18:26:59

Glad you are ok Anniebach. I have a friend in Crickhowell and can't get hold of her.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Feb-20 18:28:25

Oh Annie thank goodness ?

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 18:37:14

Sparkle sorry, Crickhowell has been badly hit, helicopters
took some residents out , I will check the local site and get back

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 18:44:24

Sparkle the road is still officially closed but some locals have driven through trying to get to Abergavenny, lot of damage to
the bridge near where the army camp use to be , I don’t know
where those who were evacuated were moved to sorry

watermeadow Mon 17-Feb-20 18:51:22

A dear friend of my daughters is in South Wales for half term with her parents.
We knew things were serious when she reported that Chapel was cancelled and her dad was very put out!

Septimia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:03:47

Thanks for starting this thread, BlueBelle, as I was wondering how people are coping. Pleased to hear that you are OK Annie and Pantglas and hope you stay that way. Hope your friend is fine, Sparkle.

We were in York at the weekend and could see how high the River Ouse was - quite scarey! So keep safe, everyone!

Sparklefizz Mon 17-Feb-20 19:45:52

Anniebach Thank you very much for finding out that information for me. I really appreciate it.

And thank you Septimia for your kind words.

Keep safe and dry, everyone. My heart goes out to those who are flooded.

Sparklefizz Mon 17-Feb-20 20:34:52

Anniebach I finally managed to get hold of my Crickhowell friend. She had gone to stay with her sister in Bournemouth for a week but is now unable to get home. Most of her street further down has been flooded, but she has heard that her house is still dry at the moment.

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 20:38:55

That’s good news Sparkle ,

BBbevan Tue 18-Feb-20 14:42:13

Yes fine thank you. It has been awful but no flooding or damage. I was concerned for an aunt who lives in Caerphilly , but she is fine, warm and dry. We are again in a yellow weather warning for rain tomorrow. Roll on the hot summer that has been forecast .

Fennel Tue 18-Feb-20 16:00:56

One of my cousins lives in Gilwern, near the river Usk. I've emailed her to find out how they are.
Is it bad down there?

H1954 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:27:47

What a perfectly lovely thread! We should all put politics, points of view and differences aside and send positive support to all those in difficulty from the flooding. I, for one, am thinking about you all and sending good wishes. Only sorry that I cannot be of practical help but mobility issues don't allow I'm afraid. Good luck!

Anniebach Tue 18-Feb-20 16:33:07

Fennel if your cousin lives in Gilwern,Gwent they are not close enough to the Usk, if you google - map of Gilwern you
will see they distance from the river , I haven’t heard anyone
saying there are problems there

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 16:52:56

Hereford, Monmouth and villages along the Wye have been flooded and, of course, it's still raining. All that rain from further north will come down the rivers. The Forest of Dean in parts has had floods.

Gilwern is on the Usk and I think the road to Crickhowell may be flooded but haven't seen that any houses are flooded.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 16:55:09

Roll on the hot summer that has been forecast
BBbevan I said to DH today that if anyone from a Water Board dares to mention the words drought or water shortages next summer they may well be job-hunting.

Anniebach Tue 18-Feb-20 16:56:43

Crickhowell is badly affected, helicopters were needed to reach some.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 16:59:03

sorry, I think Gilwern is on the River Clydach not the Usk, and the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 17:00:02

Oh dear, hope you're OK Anniebach

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 17:00:26

Hope you're still OK Anniebach

Anniebach Tue 18-Feb-20 17:13:09

I feel guilty saying I am lucky, 18 bungalows in this Cul de Sac
for the elderly and disabled , 12 bungalows flooded
Saturday night, mine one of the six which escaped the torent
that came down the hill.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 17:15:02

well, that didn't post the first time, apologies!

Glad you're still OK.

BBbevan Tue 18-Feb-20 17:54:21

Callistemon or hose pipe ban ?