Gransnet forums

Chat

Your fav author from childhood

(311 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:22:12

Mine will always be the lovely Enid Blyton , had so many of her books especially the famous five

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:25:36

C S Lewis I wanted to live in Narnia, second choice would have been to go to Malory Towers School.

MrsEggy Mon 17-Feb-20 19:25:51

W.E. Johns, "Biggles" and "Worrals". Not PC now!

phoenix Mon 17-Feb-20 19:28:16

C.S.Lewis.

Was introduced to the Chronicles of Narnia by 2 chaps who lived in the flat below us. My mother told me they were brothers, but with hindsight............

They leant me the books one at a time, in order. I remember that for my 10th birthday I asked my grandparents for the boxed set, even though I had already read them all.

Framilode Mon 17-Feb-20 19:28:53

I loved Enid Blyton too, even though it was frowned on by school. When I went to boarding school aged 9 we were allowed to bring 3 books from home. Enid Blyton was not allowed. I also enjoyed the Biggles and Worrals books.

Curlywhirly Mon 17-Feb-20 19:30:53

Yes, definitely Enid Blyton - I was brought up in a council house and the lovely, priviliged middle-class lives of her characters appealed so much. Unwittingly, they showed me there was another world out there!

midgey Mon 17-Feb-20 19:35:21

Mary O’Hara, My Friend Flicka, I loved this book and it’s sequels. Also loved any book by Christine Pullen Thompson.

Witzend Mon 17-Feb-20 19:35:53

All the William books, quite early on. I still re-read those now and then, never fail to make me laugh.

When I’d just outgrown the likes of Enid Blyton, maybe 11 or 12-ish, I became addicted to the Whiteoaks series, by Mazo de la Roche. (Was that her real name, I wonder?).

And maybe a bit later, Georgette Heyer.

NanKate Mon 17-Feb-20 19:38:44

Enid Blyton for me too and Noel Streafeild.

giulia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:42:46

I too loved Enis Blyton.

Another favourite was Joanna Spyri's Heidi. I read the book at least six times. "Oh, the beautiful fiery snow!"

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:43:42

Oh NanKate I had forgotten Noel Streatfield I have bought “Ballet Shoes” for my GD I got totally lost in all the “shoe” books

giulia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:43:56

Does anyone remember Pookie (the rabbit with wings)? I loved those and the illustrations were beautiful.

Tangerine Mon 17-Feb-20 19:47:28

Enid Blyton for me.

Also, Richmal Crompton - the William books.

tinaf1 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:49:58

Enid Blyton for me too, lucky for me my grandchildren enjoyed them when they were younger, so got to enjoy them all over again

MiniMoon Mon 17-Feb-20 19:50:31

Dickens and Charlotte Bronte.
I read a book at school called Torrie by Annabel Johnson, about a wagon train going west across America. It was a fabulous story. Out of print now.

MiniMoon Mon 17-Feb-20 19:51:45

I meant to say, I read Jane Ayre aged 10 when sick with yellow jaundice.

annep1 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:53:48

Got to be Enid Blyton. I read every Famous Five book and then Secret Seven . Can't remember any others although I read every book in the girls section of our library.

dragonfly46 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:56:41

AA Milne - Christopher Robin and Will Scott who wrote about the Cherry Family.

SueDonim Mon 17-Feb-20 19:56:44

Laura Ingalls Wilder especially The Long Winter.

I only really liked EB’s Malory Towers books.

DoraMarr Mon 17-Feb-20 19:58:44

I loved “What Katy Did” by Susan Coolidge, and the sequels. I enjoyed the “Jennings” stories by Anthony Buckeridge, set in a boys’ prep school. I loved the “William” stories too. Later, in the last year at Junior school, I discovered Dickens, especially “David Copperfield” and “Oliver Twist.” An aunt used to give me Dean and Son’s classics for birthdays- I remember “Robin Hood”, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table”, “Treasure Island”, and many more. I was a bookish child, and used to go to the library by myself from quite a young age.

SueDonim Mon 17-Feb-20 19:59:56

Oh and Eve Garnett’s The Family from One End Street.

Lorna Hill’s ballet books.

There was also a non-fiction series I loved but cannot find any trace of. It was two children, Jane & Paul or Susan & Bill, names like that, Go To Paris/Rome/Amsterdam etc. They seemed so exotic, to me!

Sara65 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:09:07

Curlywurly

Same for me, I longed to go to Mallory Towers. I nagged and nagged to go to boarding school, not realising that children from council estates had no chance of going to a wonderful school by the sea.

Then I fell in love with Arthur Ransom books, and my love affair with a privileged middle class life style continued.

SirChenjin Mon 17-Feb-20 20:09:11

Enid Blyton - which horrifies me now with her racist, classist undertones.

Laura Ingalls Wilder.

nanaK54 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:10:14

Arthur Ransome - I loved 'Swallows and Amazons'

Chestnut Mon 17-Feb-20 20:19:54

It was Enid Blyton for me as a child. Faraway Tree, Famous Five, Adventure Series and the Children of Cherry Tree Farm and Willow Farm because I loved farms.

There were some books about a family who had adventures. There was a map inside the front of the book because they pretended these places were part of their game. I would love to know what that was!