Chat

The Waitrose shopper's guide to poor people's supermarkets

(42 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 20:49:04

This made me chuckle

Jessity Mon 17-Feb-20 21:41:28

Loved it, thank you merlotgran

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 21:52:43

Unamused,. I see plenty of people in tracksuit bottoms and hoodies in my local Waitrose. Also lots on mobility scooters and pushalong walkers. Like many branches, it is in a town centre, where all the other supermarkets that used to serve the town and are meant to be cheaper have moved out. Their Essentials range is price competitive. If you are poor and do not have a car, the out of town Tesco is nearly 2 miles away.

merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 22:05:09

It was just a bit of fun, M0nica. hmm

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 22:12:29

When you get out of the home counties and into the sticks a 'typical' Waitrose shopper like this would stick out like sore thumb. So nothing to relate to.

SueDonim Mon 17-Feb-20 22:19:35

The Daily Mash is a satire site, Monica. All tongue in cheek.

I’m sad about the Angel Delight, Merlotgran - I still think it’s a treat! grin

merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 22:26:27

I've never had a Pot Noodle. Do they do gluten free, vegan ones? grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Feb-20 22:29:06

merlotgran take it from me you would not want one- even starving in the middle of a desert.

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Feb-20 22:39:30

Give over, Charleygirl, there’s nowt wrong with a Pot Noodle - I used to take them to work for my dinner. Mind, my DGS are partial to Cheesestrings as well. Good taste obviously runs in the family.

Dec46 Mon 17-Feb-20 22:41:09

I think the Waitrose thing is a bit out of touch now,sort of been there, done that, not really funny if it ever was?

Dollymac Mon 17-Feb-20 22:42:53

This didn't make me 'chuckle' at all
It's a distasteful analogy, for when people are forced to use foodbanks
I would imagine that if you were starving in a desert, or indeed, anywhere else in the world , that you would be profoundly grateful for a pot noodle, or any sustainability

Chewbacca Mon 17-Feb-20 22:47:23

It's been quite interesting to see how the rich and famous have changed their shopping habits in a very affluent Cheshire town near me. They've had a Booths supermarket for some years that has always been frequented by the hoi polloi. But Aldi recently opened their flagship store right opposite! It's very well appointed but essentially the same as every other Aldi except it's wine aisle is huge. Their car park is crammed with Porsches, Lexus, BMW's etc and it's common to see celebrities there. Booths is struggling. Everyone loves a bargain!

merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 22:51:13

Aldi wine is actually very good.

I'm an expert. grin

Curlywhirly Mon 17-Feb-20 22:59:06

Chewbacca I know the village you refer to, went there last week for a meal! I can remember when a Lidl opened near to me and I started to shop there (about 10 years ago, before it became trendy to shop in Aldi etc) a friend said 'aren't you embarassed to get out of your BMW then go into that cheap supermarket?*!!!

Dec46 Mon 17-Feb-20 23:01:50

I prefer Aldi and Lidl to local Waitrose as I like to try the more unusual products they stock there. Actually my 2 local Waitrose are in quite run down areas and Aldi and Lidl's are newer ,brighter stores with easy parking so winners in my book.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Feb-20 23:01:55

Aldi wine is superb merlot! At New Year I saw someone buying 12 cases of their bubbly! That must have been a hell of a party! grin

Daisymae Mon 17-Feb-20 23:11:10

I thought it was quite amusing. smile

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Feb-20 23:13:05

We don’t have a Waitrose, a Lidl or an Aldi round here. I’m not sure what that says about the area.

Daisyboots Mon 17-Feb-20 23:53:04

What I find so funny is that there is a food company that has branches in Spain
Tenerife and now in the Algarve and mainly advertised as Iceland sells many Waitrose products. When we visit friends there I always stock up on Waitrose tartare sauce, some of their own brand cereals and mint jelly for my husband. Plenty of Iceland products too.

M0nica Tue 18-Feb-20 17:14:50

* SueDoonim* I know it is meant to be a satire, but since it is a satire on something that doesn't exist, it loses its point, they might as well have been sending this woman up as a typical Tesco or B&M customer.

rosenoir Tue 18-Feb-20 17:54:41

I find this one funny, there is swearing so dont watch if easily offended.
youtu.be/Kg7-RPLB5LU

Greymar Tue 18-Feb-20 17:59:05

What are the Home Counties? It always makes me thinks of girls in Navy Uniforms in old films moving little sticks about on a map and speaking with RP.

dahlia Tue 18-Feb-20 18:51:19

When my granddaughter worked as a Saturday girl in Waitrose, she was amused that they regarded silver polish as one of their "Essential" range items - and this was four years ago!
Mind you, she loved the uniform!

Desdemona Tue 18-Feb-20 19:08:10

I don't know what to think really.

Posted in fun and yes I can see the funny side but there are people so poor and starving, resorting to foodbanks that I feel it is wrong somehow.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:20:59

Not amused, I shop in Aldi then cross the road (literally) to get some odd bits in Waitrose, the difference in prices is amazing, paying almost double the price for a swede, both locally sourced and same sell by date. The list/goes on.

I park my quite expensive car in Aldi’s car park along with Range Rovers, Mercedes etc.

I think Waitrose are taking the p.... with their prices.