Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite accents

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:58:44

I just love the brummie accent , I could listen to it all day, and the sexy french one

TerriBull Tue 18-Feb-20 08:42:58

French, Italian, Welsh, Aussie and NZ

BlueSapphire Tue 18-Feb-20 08:50:24

Lancashire, Northern Irish and also Canadian are my favourites.

DH was from Lancashire, DSil has a lovely soft NI accent; don't know anyone Canadian but much prefer it to American.

Cannot abide Liverpool accent. I am originally from Wiltshire and can lapse into a really broad Wiltshire accent when I go back or am amongst family! Have not lived there since the mid sixties but people here in Northampton still say that they can hear a West Country accent.

Nortsat46 Tue 18-Feb-20 08:52:53

North East accents for me, because that’s where I was brought up. I have lived in London for 40+ years, so hearing an accent from the NE, is always pleasant and comforting.
It’s one of the reasons I enjoy ‘Vera’ on tv, so much.

Outside the UK, it would be French.
At work fairly recently we had a young Frenchman explaining some of the elements of our new website to us. I have never seen a group of women, of mixed ages, so interested in the content of the back end of a website.

BlueSapphire Tue 18-Feb-20 08:53:21

DDIL is Swedish but you would not know it, she has no accent at all, whereas a Danish lady who I met on holiday last year still had hers, although she has lived in the UK for many years.

TwiceAsNice Tue 18-Feb-20 09:58:31

Geordie and Irish. I miss hearing the welsh accent now I’ve moved to the SE and I get very Welsh again when I go back to visit .

henetha Tue 18-Feb-20 10:11:51

One of the great pleasures of visiting Wales is the lovely lilting Welsh accent. Also, I have a grandson-in-law from southern
Ireland and I could listen to his soft voice all day.
I must admit that I find the Italian accent very fascinating, especially when it's a man being so nice and romantic with you, even though he's the waiter at your hotel and you just know that he is hoping for a large tip!

SalsaQueen Tue 18-Feb-20 18:18:02

I love the Welsh accent, and also Italian

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 19:51:20

But which Welsh accent?

It's like saying you like an English accent.

Ngaio1 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:55:31

South African. Makes me go weak at the knees! Cannot bear Liverpudlian, Geordie, Brummie, Lancashire or Yorkshire. All rough and glum sounding.

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:09:31

Eeeh bah gum Ngaio1.......tha’ll be for eet na tha knaws!?

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:16:59

So many lovely accents, hard to choose.
A Welsh colleague used to regularly make us almost nod off, his soothing tones relaxed and sapped the will like a hot bath.
Nobody ever argued with him.?
Italian accents have to be the best in the world though, as they could murmur anything ( how much are those loo rolls?) and it would sound seductive.
I like Cockney accents, full of vim and vigour.
I also like Devon accents, and West Country accents in general.

May7 Tue 18-Feb-20 20:33:37

How about Greek "my brother he has a boat " Shirley Valentine couldnt resist that

Grannyhall29 Tue 18-Feb-20 20:46:59

Love how many have mentioned the North east accent, I'm from teesside, DIL can't stand our accent and hates it when her kids say things like No, Bath, Coke (a cola) etc in a northern accent instead of the southern way of Barth, Cowke etc, makes me feel as if she's looking down her nose at us

tinaf1 Tue 18-Feb-20 21:44:59

Southern Irish French, and Cockney because that’s where I get my own accent

gillybob Tue 18-Feb-20 21:50:53

I’m a born and bred Geordie and hate my accent .

My absolute favourite is the Irish accent .

My worst (apart from my own) is the “plum in the mouth” posh accent from wherever in the South it may be . Sorry but it just sounds so false.

Granny23 Wed 19-Feb-20 08:41:06

I adore the mixed accents eg Pakistan/Glasgow and that of a friend from Paris who learnt her English in Dundee grin. My Gran was Aberdonian so that is also music to my ears.

I agree about Italian being romantic, but for me the most seductive is sweet nothings in English from a native Gaelic speaker whether Irish or Western Isles.

JackyB Wed 19-Feb-20 11:25:50

I was brought up to hate any kind of regional accent (we weren't allowed to watch Corrie) or "bad pronunciation" and as a result I love them all!

Elis James' voice makes me swoon!

DoraMarr Wed 19-Feb-20 11:51:31

I was brought up to “speak properly” and threatened with elocution lessons (which I confused with electrocution,) if I used a Brummie accent or dialect words, with the result that I didn’t speak like my school friends at junior school, but fitted right in when I went to my slightly posh convent school. My husband had a North East accent (Hartlepool) except when we went to Fife, when he sounded like a Fifer. I never stopped my children having a Birmingham accent (although we lived in Solihull, so it was bit tame, ) but was on to them immediately if their grammar was incorrect. I like to hear accents, and am quite a good mimic. I like the Brummie one, because it sounds like home, and also Oxfordshire, because it sounds like my mother’s brothers. I noticed that the new buses in Birmingham announce the stops in a Brummie accent- it sounds like Jasper Carrot- and the Art Gallery in Walsall (a gem, by the way) has lift announcements recorded by Noddy Holder, in a Black Country lilt. (!)

LullyDully Wed 19-Feb-20 15:00:14

I remember teaching in the East End and a fellow teacher who was Swedish couldn't understand a word of the kids....... " But they don't speak English " she used to say. I remember yourn for yours and hern for hers.

My children were born in Jamaica and had lovely accents when we left and moved to Brum. It took them a couple of days to become Brummies. Sing'ging at Christmas. I find accents fascinating and all.have their beauty.

Ellianne Wed 19-Feb-20 16:52:07

I'm intrigued that so many of you like the French accent because I always used to get compliments the other way round. Although I'm fluent in French, people in France always love my English accent!

Callistemon Wed 19-Feb-20 20:14:09

English spoken by a Frenchman with an accent always sounds so romantic.
I don't care what Barnier says, it's his accent I love!

Sussexborn Wed 19-Feb-20 21:04:14

Quite a while back now our neighbour’s daughter married a French man. All the women attending the ceremony swooned when he made his wedding vows.

Sue500 Thu 20-Feb-20 10:20:26

I just love accents, used to talk to a man with northern accent on phone, my boss said do you fancy him no I sdid I’d just like him to talk to me LOL.

Sue500 Thu 20-Feb-20 10:21:05

Said not sdid.

vintageclassics Thu 20-Feb-20 10:21:23

Had a conversation recently with someone local based in the Liver building - I needed a translator as I don't speak scouse! She was very nice and very patient though!