Gransnet forums

Chat

I have become invisible

(41 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 18-Feb-20 17:44:13

The heading says it all, it takes some getting used to, started when I reached 70.

rosenoir Tue 18-Feb-20 18:09:46

I feel invisible to generations younger than me but those of the same make eye contact, chat in a supermarket queue or say hello on a walk.

In the same way that if I see a group of teens I do not interact, I remember being a teen and thinking it odd if an old person tried to speak to us.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 18-Feb-20 18:11:22

Oh Sparkling am so sorry you feel like this, love your name, so hope this is just a temporary feeling. Guess it all about
getting older and not maybe being needed so much by family.
I feel invisible when barged by in shops, I just barge back, but not every one has my anger issues ?
I’m thinking, just to feel better generally, that you can treat your self to something lovely, some sunshine would be uplifting.
I hit 70 this year, not sure how I feel about that, ok I guess, to wake up and be breathing. Did reaching 70 get to you?
Take care of you ?

Hetty58 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:15:32

When we were younger, we ignored old biddies. Now it's our turn. It doesn't bother me!

BlueSky Tue 18-Feb-20 18:16:22

No not at all and I've reached the big 70! Perhaps I was invisible before!

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:17:06

I don’t feel this at all. I find if I smile at people they smile back. I do live in a friendly town which helps.
I hope you feel better soon.

Framilode Tue 18-Feb-20 18:28:04

We moved to a new village a couple of years ago and it has taken time and effort to integrate. Somebody told me I had a smiley face, it made my day. However, someone also said I had 'wild laughter'. Still I suppose it's better than being ignored.

dahlia Tue 18-Feb-20 18:42:27

No, we're not invisible, we're important members of society! Remember this at all times, smile and make allowances for the younger ones - I'm sure I regarded everyone over 21 as beyond the pale when I was 17! smile

whywhywhy Tue 18-Feb-20 19:21:55

I definitely feel invisible around certain people and I never used to. Sometimes I feel invisible on this site.

farview Tue 18-Feb-20 19:29:18

As long as my family and friends dont think I'm invisible...and they dont ..so that's fine..I KNOW I'm not invisible..and you mustn't think that you are Sparkling ?

Kandinsky Tue 18-Feb-20 19:38:36

Who do you want looking at you at your age?

TrendyNannie6 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:50:10

Sad to hear this Sparkling! ?

Sparkling Tue 18-Feb-20 20:23:58

I think that when you are part of a loving family you feel part of things, I understand that. It's good most of you feel that. Kadinski, it wasn't about wanting anyone looking at me, just seeing me.

rosenoir Tue 18-Feb-20 20:28:05

whywhywhy I read your comment .smile

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:32:32

Sparkling do you mean that you don’t see family or have friends?
If you live alone and don’t go out much, I expect it’s easy to feel invisible.
Or is this not what you meant?

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:34:22

Framilode I was amused by your post ( wild laughter) I should continue laughing in a carefree manner if I were you, just to annoy them.?

farview Tue 18-Feb-20 21:44:24

Kandinsky..that was rather a harsh post..

Grammaretto Tue 18-Feb-20 21:53:30

I feel invisible most of the time but I don't go out to be noticed. Never have. I don't think it's only to do with age apart from obviously no-one fancies me anymore wink nor I them but I hope I am aware of other people whatever their age.

I sometimes wish I was taller and had a louder voice, especially when ordering drinks in a crowded bar. I may come back as a man, a tall man.

NfkDumpling Tue 18-Feb-20 22:30:17

I love it. Being invisible means I get to hear conversations I shouldn’t, ignore keep out signs because I’m not noticed. And make people jump out of their skins if I decide to make my presence known.

Megs36 Wed 19-Feb-20 15:07:04

Why why why, Me too.

whywhywhy Wed 19-Feb-20 15:39:35

Rosenior and Megs36 thank you. X

AGAA4 Wed 19-Feb-20 15:39:51

When we get into our seventies we are ignored by certain groups. I don't mind. People of my own age smile and chat and babies and small children respond to a smile usually. Younger people are busy and very much involved in their own world to notice us oldies.

BBbevan Wed 19-Feb-20 15:50:20

I often feel invisible on here

Jessity Wed 19-Feb-20 15:58:32

BBbevan me too!

JandJ5years Wed 19-Feb-20 16:03:37

I definitely do no feel invisible to the younger generation, in fact I feel more in tune with them. Why? Because I am interested in THEM. It is a two way thing really they will only think we are invisible and unapproachable if we make ourselves so.