Gransnet forums

Chat

I didn't say a word.

(33 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 21-Feb-20 13:45:39

OUr 12yr old grandson has been staying this week. Today he was up early as being collected by amother family member for the day and night before going home tomorrow. He wanted to shower so i sorted the water temperature for him and left it to him. After he came out of the bathroom i went in about 15mins later to get my ablutions completed. I had to chuckle to myself. The shower curtain was dry, bathtowel still neatly folded on the side, no water anywhere on the floor and the bar of soap bone dry. All he had done was stick his head under the shower and washed his hair so he could re gel it. He had sprayed body spray on himself to make a nice smell too. There was no smell of toothpaste either or blobs of paste in the sink which i usually find when he has brushed his teeth. I just kept it to myself and thought
back to when we thought we had got away with something and how our parents probably knew, It really made me laugh later when told DH. smile

Nannarose Fri 21-Feb-20 13:48:26

And we know it won't be long before he'll be spending hours in there!

AGAA4 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:14:48

My grandson used to run the shower and read his comic. We knew he hadn't been in there as towel dry and and so was his very thick hair. 5 years later aged 16 he now spends ages in the bathroom using manly shower gels and shampoos.

ToniSH Fri 21-Feb-20 15:22:45

My son, when he was about 5) used to go into my large shower and then just plaster himself against the wall so that none of the water hit him at all. Took a few times of doing this before he was busted!

V3ra Fri 21-Feb-20 15:36:03

My brother at 18 years old spent so long in the shower on my wedding day that I was pushed for time and the water was cold.
When I complained, he said he wanted to look nice for my wedding.
Err, yes... so did I!!!

ninathenana Fri 21-Feb-20 17:32:16

It is often said that people with ASD have a dislike for showering.
Sensory perception and all that.
However my son who has ASD is the opposite he can easily spend 30 mins in the shower and the foam coming out the pipe to the drain sometimes blows across the garden, as he's used so much product.
My oldest GS used to fake having a shower but now at nearly 11 he likes to smell nice.

polnan Sat 22-Feb-20 10:05:44

oh gosh I remember , before showers and daily or even twice daily baths

washing at the sink

I hated washing my neck,, don`t know why, but after a few days, my mom could see!!

Mbra12 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:15:59

Sent my very mucky son up for a bath when he was about 6 or 7. He came down later telling me he had had it. When I pointed out that he still had dirty hands he explained that he hadn’t washed them. He tells me now that it was many years before he realised how I knew he hadn’t gotten in the bath.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Feb-20 10:16:12

What happened to the " tidemarks " that you used to see on kids at school----which you don't see today ? I remember them vividly.

vena11 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:28:06

So funny,that takes me backgrin

Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 10:31:43

Loved that V3ra‼️ My first chuckle of the day.

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:43:42

The first time my nephew went to camp with the cubs (for 4 days ) he returned with his new towel & soap, his clean underpants, his toothbrush & toothpaste and all changes of clothes completely untouched...

Saggi Sat 22-Feb-20 10:50:41

My 12 year old grandson has just really discovered soap and water....while my 8 year old granddaughter would rather have her teeth pulled out than wash...and loathes having her hair brushed and tidied for school.

quizqueen Sat 22-Feb-20 10:55:51

If children are brought up to have daily baths then it should be second nature for them to be clean. There's nothing funny or clever about dirty people or kids.

narrowboatnan Sat 22-Feb-20 10:56:48

This brought back a memory of me drawing my teenage son a map of how to get from his bedroom to the bathroom, complete with instructions on how to operate the taps etc. A year or so after that he'd joined the ranks of older teens spending hours in there titivating himself up and with more sweet smelling products lined up on the window cill than anyone else in the house!

grannyactivist Sat 22-Feb-20 11:03:06

I always used to smile at this sort of revelation when my sons were teenagers, because I had the opposite problem with them. With both of them it was getting them out of the bath/shower that was the difficulty, they never needed to be reminded to brush their teeth and I never had to get them out of bed in the mornings. I just used to keep quiet when their friends' parents were complaining, but now I could easily join in such conversations with tales of my ten year old grandson. Why can't he just brush his teeth without it becoming a three act drama!?! grin

Witzend Sat 22-Feb-20 11:29:01

When she first stayed here, a late-teen niece didn’t seem to realise that the shower curtain goes inside the bath, not outside. I dare say she was used to screens or walk in cubicles, but it didn’t dawn on me at first why the guest bathroom floor was awash!
I said nothing, didn’t want to make her feel stupid, and she did soon work it out.

Bijou Sat 22-Feb-20 11:39:40

When my children were teenagers we used to have French students exchanges. One boy, Bertrand, would not bath. I used to say there is plenty of nice hot water to no effect. We called him dirty Bertie. The last day of his two week stay we had a party for the other students and he actually had a bath.

Grandmacong Sat 22-Feb-20 11:55:38

My 7 year old grandson usually stays with us in school holidays and enjoys coming with us in our caravan. Last year we went to a caravan site where you had to put 20p coins in a slot to get hot water for your shower and, not having many of the required coins at the time I told him he had to be quick or he’d run out of water and Grandad and I needed the remaining coins for our showers. He used to love spending ages under the hot water, however he managed to cope. This week (half term) we were at home and in the time it took me to go to his bedroom to fetch his pyjamas he’d got undressed and showered and dried himself. When I queried how he’d managed to get clean in such a short time he replied “You’re to blame, Grandma, I now like to see just how quickly I can be!” Not sure how clean he was - could still see the evidence of ketchup on the side of his mouth!

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 11:58:44

He was more worried about how his hair looked, bless him ?

TATT Sat 22-Feb-20 12:19:25

I remember my daughter going off for a few days with school and coming back with a bone dry flannel. So many more exiting things to do at that age!

4allweknow Sat 22-Feb-20 12:49:19

Quizqueen. Daily baths for children, my goodness! How previous generations survived with the Sunday night bath and hairwash and wearing clothes for a week we will never know. Of course dirt can be harmful but there are a lot of experts who would say we are washing too much and too often stripping our skin of good bacteria etc. Not to mention all the chemicals, water and energy for warm water used. Obviously there are those of use who have not been brought up in the proper way.

4allweknow Sat 22-Feb-20 12:56:59

Had a lovely kitchen table, pride and joy type thing. One twin son, about 13 years old "engraved" his own name on the surface obviously thinking we would say it must have been done by his brother as who would use their own name. Knew who the culprit was and didn't mention it. Only after about 20 years did it come up in a conversation that the guilty party was known to be X son. He was flabbergasted, how did we know? He is 45 and a parent and now knows very well how we knew!

grandmaz Sat 22-Feb-20 13:14:59

This thread takes me back to the early 1960s when I was at boarding school in Somerset. We we expected to strip wash in cold water each morning (there were large metal pitchers and bowls in our dorms, all arranged around a large set of washstands). Even in the winter when there was ice on the inside of the dorm windows, we had to take turns to fetch the cold water and wash from 'neck to knickers' under the watchful eye of our dorm senior! Baths were once per week - that changed to twice when our elderly headmistress retired and a new one was appointed. Hair washing was once every THREE weeks - how I remember sneaking into the bathrooms after lights out and washing my hair in freezing water then going to bed with it wet...several times per week if I could get away with it! Showers weren't heard of in those days. Somehow we endured it all and I'm still here to tell the tale! Just about! I tell my grandchildren about it and they are all goggle-eyed with horror! Hot water on demand and shelves full of'products' are their norm! We used to manage with a bar of Pears soap (I still love it) and sachets of shampoo - my favourite was Breck Beer Shampoo as it smelt lovely and made my chestnut locks shine! I think the only product we got anywhere near was hairspray - and then only if someone's mother had been crafty and sneaked a can in when sending clothes - parcels had to be opened in front of the housemistress - but she didn't make us shake out the clothes and our mothers became skilled at secreting all manner of goodies up inside the sleeves! Sorry, I've gone 'off piste' a bit here - must be my age! grin

Daisymae Sat 22-Feb-20 13:19:24

I can't imagine a teen carving up some furniture and nothing being said.shock