Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you ever buy a Mary Quant dress?

(123 Posts)
trisher Fri 21-Feb-20 14:44:39

I was watching the TVprogramme about the V&A museum (fascinating) One woman donated a 1960s Mary Quant dress. It cost 8 guineas when she bought it. Did you ever spend as much on a dress? I know I didn't. C&A was my shop of choice.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 14:47:48

In 1968 I was only earning £4.10shillings a week, not much left after bus fares, money to Mum , so I could never have afforded to buy one.

tinaf1 Fri 21-Feb-20 14:57:14

Yes and a coat also, saved up for ages and ages , and used birthday &. Christmas money gifts towards them, but didn’t I feel the bee knees ?

patriciageegee Fri 21-Feb-20 15:06:58

Yes trisher I did but I have to say it was because I was very lucky to get a big staff discount when I worked in the Honey boutique section of Lewis's Manchester in '66..my first proper job after leaving school. I was sooo happy as I'd lusted after Mary Quant (and Biba) dresses for ages but could never afford one. I got very proficient at making my own on my nan's hand sewing machine but there was always something a bit wonky about them so the joy of actually being able to buy a genuine Mary Quant was immense. It was in a slippery cream satin with a giant brown kipper tie sewn with oversized gold sequins grinand I just loved it.

Gaunt47 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:07:18

I was watching that programme too, and remembering a dress I bought in 1965 or '66. No idea how I afforded it! Travelling the following year around the U.S. I gave it to my friend's sister who we were staying with at the time, together with a Biba dress. I cut out the ginger group label before giving it to her, and it's on my pinboard even now smile

Dottygran59 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:09:18

Oh Grans, do any of you have pictures of yourselves wearing these wonderful dresses? Would you feel comfortable sharing them? Would love to see them

Yehbutnobut Fri 21-Feb-20 15:10:05

There were plenty of good copies out.

Gaunt47 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:10:48

Patriciagg I worked in a Honey boutique too!! Not for long though, because the management of the shop it was in didn't really get it and I left in disgust!

patriciageegee Fri 21-Feb-20 15:30:42

Oh gaunt47 those were the days! (The Manchester one went on to be a very early Miss Selfridge but I too had left by then). And dottygran like many of us I only wish I had photos of my finery grin

Riverwalk Fri 21-Feb-20 15:32:54

I went to the Quant exhibition at the V&A some months back - what I hadn't realised was that she was a couturier and so her customers were Lady This and Lady That, and showbiz personalities. This is evidenced by the names of those who donated items for the exhibition.

I was a bit young in her heyday but do remember having a Quant-inspired pop-art bag with a bullseye motiff and a friend had one with the Quant black and white flower.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:36:13

No but I did buy her nail varnish and her make up

Anniebach Fri 21-Feb-20 15:37:54

Yes, it was Black and White

Gaunt47 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:38:44

Dottygran I do have a photograph of me looking gorgeous but alas not the technology to post it. So just imagine a brunette Jean Shrimpton without a fringe grin

tanith Fri 21-Feb-20 15:42:30

I could never afforded one but I worked in C&A and it was a matter of days after a show that copies of her things were hanging on our racks I had a few black and white ones I particularly loved a navy and white pin striped hipster mini skirt with a wide white belt I think it was £3.99 my Dad was horrified but I loved that skirt.

Anniebach Fri 21-Feb-20 15:50:52

I wore my Quant black and white dress to a wedding, deep trouble with great aunts, wearing the two forbidden wedding
guest colours , black and white

glammanana Fri 21-Feb-20 15:56:22

I bought all my copies from C&A tanith the big one in Church Street Liverpool my favourite was a black & white shift dress very short and a pair of white boots which where cut out at the top.I loved them

trisher Fri 21-Feb-20 15:56:31

C&A was such a great shop. I remember buying a navy and white pin stripe dress there with a white collar as well. It had a zip up the front.Probably made of the same material as your skirt tanith . Funny isn't it we just didn't have that many photos taken then so nothing to post or show.

Riverwalk Fri 21-Feb-20 15:57:03

Some pics from the V&A

patriciageegee Fri 21-Feb-20 15:57:30

Good old C&A and Chelsea Girl too they were saviours for any working class girl with more dash than cash as Vogue used to say.

Riverwalk Fri 21-Feb-20 15:58:59

Few more

Luckygirl Fri 21-Feb-20 16:00:08

I splashed out in about 1968 on a (not Quant) beautiful mini dress with matching hot pants - it was £11 !!!!! - I felt really guilty - that was a huge amount of money in relation to what I was earning - but I loved it and felt a million dollars in it.

janeainsworth Fri 21-Feb-20 16:03:51

I had a dress which wasn’t by Mary Quant but in her style. I think ai got it at C&A. I referred to it as my op-art dress.
It was sleeveless, a simple round neckline and very short, made in a knitted fabric with black squares and rectangles. The basic colour was aubergine but there was the odd splash of gold too.
I do have a photo of me in it, but it’s a head & shoulders portrait that my Dad took just before I went off to the school dance in 1966 smilesmile

J52 Fri 21-Feb-20 16:04:34

I was given a dress skirt and jacket by a friend of my mothers, who no longer wanted them.
The dress was blue with an orange stripe, the jacket was the same. The skirt was in a blue denim.
It was interesting to see the similar items at the exhibition. A school friend had the little PVC boots, they flower on the heal left the daisy mark when she walked in the snow.
I wish I’d kept them, along with my Biba dresses!

trisher Fri 21-Feb-20 16:04:44

Oh thanks Riverwalk . That yellow cape reminded me of the one I had, it was blue tartan, Totally impractical (how did you carry anything) but great for swishing around and feeling great in!

janeainsworth Fri 21-Feb-20 16:06:50

This sort of thing!