Gransnet forums

Chat

Gas cooker or electric which do you prefer

(126 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:42:48

We have gas hob, electric oven. Don’t think would ever want to go back to all electric

Missfoodlove Fri 21-Feb-20 22:45:28

Perfect combination gas hob and electric ovens.
I have cooked on an Aga and love the ovens but the gas hob for me is the best.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 22:45:37

I have a free standing gas cooker, but I have thought lately that perhaps electric is more 'with it' these days.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Feb-20 22:48:59

I've always had a gas hob and electric oven and didn't think I'd ever change. But my new kitchen has an electric induction hob and self cleaning fan electric oven. So much quicker, easier to control and cleaning is a doddle. I'd never go back to gas.

Curlywhirly Fri 21-Feb-20 22:50:04

Gas hob and electric oven for me too. Could never change to electric or induction hob. Have tried both when staying in holiday cottages, I just can't get on with them!

Charleygirl5 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:53:19

I also have a gas hob and electric oven but I would prefer a gas oven. I have never tried an induction hob. I just find gas so much easier to control.

annep1 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:58:57

Gas hob and electric oven. Have had gas oven. Much prefer electric.

rosenoir Fri 21-Feb-20 23:10:30

Mine is all elec but prefer gas hob.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:14:11

That phrase "cleaning is a doddle" interests me. A lot!

Jangran99 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:16:10

Induction is fingertip control and is as responsive as gas, also cleaning is a doddle.I would never go back to any other hob method ,I love my Stoves hob and my Stoves gas oven. There is a safety factor too as there are no flames or red hot rings to cause fire.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Feb-20 23:19:15

MissAdventure: induction hob is cleaned with a damp cloth. Wipe over, job done. Self cleaning electric oven; remove racks, close oven door, turn knob to "self clean", wait 20 minutes, job done. Voila!

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:22:26

Oh that does sound good!
Which is the best, environmentally, gas or electric, does anyone know?

GrannySomerset Fri 21-Feb-20 23:26:54

But note that you still have to clean the racks which is the worst part of oven cleaning!

Still miss my Aga but have gas hob, fan oven and combi oven which work perfectly well.

harrigran Fri 21-Feb-20 23:29:28

Ceramic hob and electric oven. Got rid of gas hob as it was impossible to keep clean.

Marydoll Fri 21-Feb-20 23:30:05

Gas range, always cooked with gas. I won't change.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Feb-20 23:39:12

Electric is more environmentally friendly than gas.
The racks from the oven get shoved in the dishwasher, on a short cycle, along with everything else.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 23:51:32

I'm very resistant to change.
I'll need to think about this for ten or so years. smile

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:51:57

Chewbacca but don't try to cook using the the self-clean programme!

MawB Fri 21-Feb-20 23:54:29

I have always had a gas job, even to the extent or replacing a nearly new ceramic job when we moved into our last house, and an electric fan oven(s)
But, if I were choosing today, I would have an induction hob.

MawB Fri 21-Feb-20 23:55:34

“Cleaning is a doddle” can also be expressed as Ovenu.

SalsaQueen Fri 21-Feb-20 23:58:55

We had a gas hob, electric wall oven, years ago. When we had a new kitchen put in, we changed to electric oven (integrated, not on the wall), induction hob with no knobs, so it's very easy to keep clean.

SueDonim Sat 22-Feb-20 00:24:00

Electric oven, induction hob. I used to prefer a gas hob but induction is so much better, fast, easier to control and it’s so simple to clean.

I wonder if gas cookers will be phased out eventually, for environmental reasons, as they plan to do for gas boilers.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Feb-20 00:30:27

I had quite a job to find someone to repair my neighbours gas oven.
(And he did a real bodge job, I think)

V3ra Sat 22-Feb-20 02:41:48

We had an eight-burner gas hob in a temporary rented property and it was the bane of my life to keep clean. Never again.
My new induction hob is the best thing ever, even though it's too clever for my husband ?
Friends who have gas hobs can't believe how quick and responsive it is.

JuliaM Sat 22-Feb-20 04:41:11

Electric double oven built in at Eye level, so much easier than my freestanding Electric cooker was, and ceramic Electric hob, one wipe and its clean. I dislike Gas hobs, far to many fiddley bits to take apart and clean. My oven is self clean, although l read an artical in the local newspaper this week where self cleaning ovens give off toxic fumes whilst on the cleaning programme, and whilst harmless to humans, it was enough to harm pet cage birds, and someone had lost three parrots who where nearby in the kitchen whilst she was using the self cleaning programme on her new oven for the first time.