Gransnet forums

Chat

It would seem that I have a new disorder.

(47 Posts)
phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 15:48:14

Hello all, and good wishes.

Long standing members (please do sit down) may remember that a few years ago I "came out" as suffering from Philpotts Syndrome.

It was heartening to hear from so many fellow sufferers, but sad that as yet there seems to be no cure. sad We are all still destined to stand in our kitchens, looking at a variety of dishes or plastic containers, and a quantity of food with absolutely no idea of which one to use.

Sadly, I have had to acknowledge that I now suffer from "Isthatenoughitis".

It has been coming on for some time, but I became acutely aware of it in the run up to Christmas, when I found myself perusing the frozen turkeys, although of course it can come on in any food department, or indeed, even your own kitchen.

It was yesterday when I finally accepted that I had a problem. ?

A lamb hotpot was planned for Sunday. No problem with selecting the quantity of carrots, onions or potatoes. (Any excess can be used for other meals). But it was when I was at the meat counter that the syndrome kicked in.

One of the prepared packs of shoulder fillet should have been enough, but would it? What if Mr P finished his meal less than satisfied? shock What if I did?

So, of course I added another pack to my trolley blush

I'm now prepping the hotpot, and of course there's enough meat for at least 4 people.

I do the same thing when making lentil and bacon soup. Weigh the lentils, think "that doesn't look enough" so bung in a bit more, then because it's too thick, add another can of tomatoes and more stock and end up with enough damn soup to feed a harvest supper!

Are there any other sufferers out there? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:53:58

Suffered with that for years phoenix!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:56:42

Yep I have suffered from isthatenoughitis for decades. We have a freezer full of the consequences of this dreadful infliction grin

I find a wine often calms the symptoms for the duration of the evening wink

mrswoo Sat 22-Feb-20 15:56:45

Oh dear! I’ve never suffered from Phillpots Syndrome or Isthatenoughitis but I’ve frequently been known to suffer from a nasty case of the Buggerems.?

vena11 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:02:50

I am a suffer too, if I am planning a meal it kicks in big time , so glad I have a freezer.
Roast potatoes are the worst thing, biggest pot I can find to pre boil, drives my husband crazy because he has to peel them.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:06:03

Never suffered from either of those Phoenix but do suffer quite a lot from ivedonetoomuchitis and more so of oh dear iveeatentoomuchitis must do more exercise ?

Curlywhirly Sat 22-Feb-20 16:07:30

Yep, I too am a sufferer (oh the shame of it!). My problem is two-fold; not only do I have isthatenoughitis, where I dither over whether I have bought enough meat (himself is a big meat-eater, so it's always on my mind) and also dither over the potatoes - being a big fan of carbs, I look at my paltry 4 new potatoes (himself is on a diet and cutting out carbs) and shove in another 4, just in case. But, where the DGC are concerned, I have the reverse itis - thatsfartoomuchitis. I constantly miscalculate how much they eat; sometimes I have had to resort to a bowl of cereal or porridge to complement my lovingly made, but inadequately portioned, cottage pie, cheesy pasta etc. I am loathe to get help from himself as I really don't want to give him the opportunity to give me advice!

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 16:10:25

grin

Strangely enough, we are having a hot pot this Sunday (not our usual Sunday fare) and I stood at the meat counter wondering if one fillet would be enough for two then asked the butcher for another one.

Mr C will have to decide whether to use one or two as he'll be cooking on Sunday.

What about the swede phoenix?
Or that's not a swede, it's a turrrnip as I was told when I lived in Devon

grannyqueenie Sat 22-Feb-20 16:14:08

Another long term fellow sufferer here. It’s an intermittent disorder, over the years I've tried and failed to identify the exact triggers which seem to bring it on. I can confirm that it bears no relation to the number of folk I’m actually cooking for but does seem to strike whenever lentils or vegetable chilli are involved....or if my freezer is already particularly well stocked. Faulty labelling leads onto another recurrent problem, noideawhatisinthetupperware! Should we form a support group or write a self help manual ?

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-20 16:15:00

Experts note that notenoughitis is often associated with empty nest syndrome, as it usually becomes apparent after the last offspring has left home and the cook is adjusting to preparing a different amount of food to what she is accustomed to. It may have been latent before then, but the effects have been masked by the way any over-supply is instantly and invisibly absorbed.

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 16:23:36

Elegran grin

It takes a very long time to adjust!

phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 16:33:17

Elegran can't blame that in this case, second marriage and always been just Mr P and I in this house!

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 16:35:48

And me, always buy too much, especially as late DH was terrified of not having enough, especially when we were entertaining. He always used to say he'd rather throw stuff out than be seen to be mean. Good job I've got a big freezer!

Grammaretto Sat 22-Feb-20 16:36:39

True Elegran
I have suffered from it. In fact only last night I cooked enogh rice for an army 4 and there were just the 2 of us.

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:41:09

I suffer from ’toomuchontheplate-itis’ particularly with shepherds pie, fish pie, cottage pie ... anything with mashed potatoes.

My partner is no help, as he always manages to clear his plate with very little difficulty. The only draw back is that this ’itis’ usually elicits the suggestion “shall we have a/nother glass of wine?’.

There is no cure for me because I can’t bear a mean portion of mashed potatoes.

phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 16:47:11

The problem is, "isthatenoughitis* can lead to another outbreak of Philpotts Syndrome, if, like me you can't bear to throw food away!

So, you decide to freeze the excess food, but need to find a container of the right size.......

QED, Philpotts Syndrome starts again. Sigh.

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 16:49:33

I am like that with pasta. Last week I ended up with enough to do three more meals. I then had to look up whether pasta could be frozen by itself and then had to look up recipes for using left over pasta. I think we need a break from pasta!

Willynilly Sat 22-Feb-20 16:53:11

(Folds arms over bosom, looks over both shoulders and leans in conspiratorially)...well now that you mention it...(hitches up bosom and purses lips), I’m going to confide that I too have a disorder. Yes, I know, it’s shocking. I’ve got... (looks around again to check no one can overhear)...itllcomeinhandyitis. You name it, I’ll have several of whatever weird and wonderful item you need. From odd sized pins to unusual spices, from silicone moulds the use for which I have no idea, to electrical items that have never seen the light of day since they were bought. I could open my own corner shop!

Anoia Sat 22-Feb-20 17:04:57

I used to suffer from this dreaded disorder but found a cure. M&S, others stores are available, do very acceptable, note I avoided using nice, meals for one.
When all the family descend I treat them all to a Chinese take away or a meal out.
I’ve cooked for so many for well over 50yrs and once I was widowed I quit cooking anything much. Enough is enough!

Lucca Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:13

I have illstartadietnextweekitis. My friend has imbuildinguptoitis as we are both 70+. I fear a cure is unlikely.

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:18

There is less disgrace attached these days to having itllcomeinhandyitis, though, Willynilly, due to its similarity to don'tputthatintolandfillitis. You can always claim that is really your problem. The signs and symptoms are the same - cupboards that spill yoghurt cartons and toilet-roll inners, draining-boards piled high with sparklingly clean readymeal containers, supermarket trolleys stacked with desserts in lovely clear plastic containers with lids Visitors may jeer, but you always have something to entertain the grandchildren.

shandi6570 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:21

Oh I love it, you have all made me chuckle on what is otherwise a very miserable day. Thanks every one of you wonderful GNs. smile

crazyH Sat 22-Feb-20 17:15:20

Lovely food for chuckling on this miserable day??

Willynilly Sat 22-Feb-20 17:16:29

Fabulous Elegran, what I thought was a (mouths the word)...disorder, is actually a virtue!

Luckygirl Sat 22-Feb-20 17:19:35

I sympathise - now I am on my own I am suffering from wherecanIgetfoodforone?itis.

Everything is sold in packs of at least enough for two; so I finish up repeatedly having the same darned meal two days running.