Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogless

(52 Posts)
AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:02:40

For many and varied reasons I am unable to have a dog. I have become a dog envier. I go for walks a lot and have met all sorts of dogs and some I know quite well. I love to hear the owners stories about their dogs, many of whom are rescue dogs.

Do any GNs have dogs? I would love to hear your stories.

Juliet27 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:10:15

Yes, I have a rescue dog. I was looking for an older dog but on seeing a five month old pup with sticky up ears that looked too big for him I just couldn’t resist him. He’s now almost 7 and has been such a good little companion. People often ask whether he’s a Patterdale, a breed I’d not heard of before, and yes he definitely looks like one. However, I did have his dna tested - Jack Russell/border terrier/miniature poodle/west highland white - hmmm!!

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:16:35

I don’t have a dog, but I look after my DDs dog 2 days a week, Which I enjoy and it gets me out in the weather. Today I also have my other daughters dog, all the way from Cornwall, but he’s going back tonight. It’s good to be able to get the house clear of muddy paw prints for a couple of days, before I have them back again.

Maybe you could offer to walk a neighbours dog? Or tag along with a dog walker?

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:17:06

He sounds very lovable whatever his breed or breeds!

Curlywhirly Sat 22-Feb-20 16:20:38

Yes, we have a very much loved golden labrador. Now the children have left, I suppose she's my substitute child. I constantly worry about her and fuss her, it's a full-time job! She follows me everywhere, and if I am missing for just 5 minutes, she greets me like I've been on a week-long holiday. She gets quite put out when the grandchildren visit and tries to squeeze inbetween us if we are sat together on the sofa. But she's very patient and good-natured with them, and they love her too. When she's feeling she needs a little reassurance, she sits on my knee - which is a sight to behold as I am only 5' tall and she's a big lump! She drives me mad at times, but we wouldn't be without her.

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:22:32

I am jealous Curlywhirly!

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Feb-20 16:31:28

Can you not become a Cinnamon Trust dog walker AGA?

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Feb-20 16:33:06

We don’t have dogs of our own now - just visiting grand-dogs. They come for holidays. It’s the best of both worlds.

Goodbyetoallthat Sat 22-Feb-20 16:33:30

We have a 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. She adores my husband & tries to sleep on his pillow if she gets the chance. She loves the children & grandchildren (& their toys!) when they come home.
Previously we had a rescue BMD he had been mistreated & was nervous & shy but he was my boy & I still miss him.

Juliet27 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:48:47

The trouble with owning dogs is that it’s absolutely heartbreaking when you lose them.

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:58:22

Yes I have known the heartbreak Juliet.
Thanks NfK. Good idea. I do sometimes walk with the local people that I know and their dogs but not the same as having one to welcome you home as I live alone.
Thanks to all for your doggie tales. Heartwarming. Keep them coming! Please

Curlywhirly Sat 22-Feb-20 16:59:23

I know Juliet27 29 years ago our beloved labrador Ben died. I vowed never to put myself through that again. FF 20 years and after my son asking every morning for 5 years (I kid you not), if we could have a dog (he's a massive dog lover) I finally gave in, and we got Samantha (Sam) who is now 9. I know heartbreak is ahead and I'm dreading it.

FlexibleFriend Sat 22-Feb-20 17:01:44

I currently have 4 dogs a Staffie and 3 Pugs, one Pug the eldest has been here from a pup and the rest are rehomes. Unfortunately the Staffie is on his last legs but not yet giving up, he's 14 and quite happy to doss on the sofa, even if he needs a step to get up there. The Pugs are 8, 4 and 3 and all in good health and happy to snuggle up to the Staffie. One came to me because her previous owner died and the male came because he kept fighting with the other dog in his previous home, he doesn't do that here.

Willynilly Sat 22-Feb-20 17:04:08

Yes we have two. An old boy who’s the best dog I’ve ever owned. He’s very well trained and has never given us a moment’s cause for concern behaviour wise, although he has poor health and therefore does worry us at times. We also have a puppy who has been incredibly hard work, but she’s coming good now thank goodness. I’m in the process of training her but I doubt she will ever match the older dog in ability. She does however have the sweetest nature.

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:05:50

Grief is the price we pay for love.

We can’t have a dog in our household because of work commitments, but when we are both retired, we’re going to Battersea ...?

sodapop Sat 22-Feb-20 17:06:09

We have three dogs AGAA4 two of them are rescues. Our last little rescue is a Yorkie/ Fox terrier cross. She had been cruelly treated by gypsies. Fractured pelvis, broken tail and leg and had to have a hysterectomy. She is so kind and gentle. Our other two are older 14 &15 with associated health problems but we love them all dearly.
Good idea from NfkDumpling about the Cinnamon Trust, they are always looking for walkers.

Daisymae Sat 22-Feb-20 17:08:52

We have a JR cross Pug. She's 10 and full of life. Got her to have a companion to walk with. she's a lot of fun. Think about the Cinnamon Trust if you are able to walk. I have done it in the past and it's a good way of meeting up with new people and interacting with dog of all breeds. Plus of course you are helping out when someone needs it.

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:11:26

Sodapop. How can anyone be cruel to a dog! They are so trusting. Glad she has a good home with you now

H1954 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:12:11

Many years ago I decided that when I retired I would have a Westie, I chose a name any everything.

Well, years passed and I then decided there was to be no dog for me! I simply cannot imagine picking up dog pooh somehow!

Clearly, I hadn't thought it through properly but I'm so glad I came to my senses.

I positively heave when I see a dog walker carrying a plastic bag of doggie droppings! But I do appreciate that the alternative is so much worse!

Washerwoman Sat 22-Feb-20 17:19:08

I was also going to suggest The Cinnamon Trust.They are always grateful for volunteers.And it's a massive help to people who want to keep their dogs but can't walk them for various reasons.
I have never been without a pet.Grew up with cats then met DH and his Labrador-he's the human equivalent !- and almost 40 years on there are 5 family dogs between our two gorgeous springer spaniels and our regulatly visiting DCs dogs.Plus 3 cats ! I have even worked with dogs for the past 15 years.Happty to say we've helped to find good homes for a fair few dogs that needed them.
We are all animal mad.I understand not everyone is,but despair at those that get them then ill treat them.
I am at my happiest when out walking,often for miles ,or at home with them curled up by the fire.

JuliaM Sat 22-Feb-20 17:25:22

I have had dogs for most of my life, mostly terriers, but also a Labrador cross staffie and a Boxer, both found me when l used to volunteer at a local animal shelter and followed me home!
They both lived to well into old age, the Boxer was a real Clown, acted first and questioned later, which led her into a lot of sticky situations and cost a small fortune in vets bills.
The Labrador cross was just so laid back and well behaved, she loved sailing, and spent any happy hours just laid out on deck watching the world go by. I said that l would not have another dog once we lost Zoe, and as my own health was not good, l didn’t think it would be fair on the Dog if l could no longer manage to walk and care for it properly.
A friend of my Daughters was going through a Marriage break up and needed to rehome her Golden Labrador, she was moving into rented accommodation where Dogs were not allowed, but her little girl was heartbroken as the dog had grown up with her from being a baby. So my daughter and l hatched a plan, she would keep and look after the dog, the little girl could visit her whenever she liked, and l would be her co-owner and fund all her food and other doggie needs in exchange for regular cuddles and fuss when she visits several times a week! The plan has worked out well, she’s a lovely faithful dog, and a much valued member of our family.

Artdecogran Sat 22-Feb-20 17:28:06

I’ve always had rescued dogs but I am now disabled and when my husband died we had just lost our last dog. Living in a house with no other gloving soul around is very difficult isn’t it. I researched cat breeds very carefully and now have 2 Burmese cats. They are very dog like, they bring toys to you so you can throw them repeatedly. They are affectionate and cuddly. They can also be left on their own for a few days as long as they have food and water. They are indoor cats only. I would certainly recommend them for company.

SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 17:52:26

How about becoming a dog-walker? Or a foster carer for dogs awaiting permanent homes?

Nannylovesshopping Sat 22-Feb-20 18:15:48

I have the spaniel, she was a rescue dog, she was three when I was lucky enough to have her, she is six now and just the best spaniel ever, very loving, likes to lean on me, very active, lives her walks, goes through everything, not round, has destroyed my garden, and I absolutely adore her, such a welcome when I come home, never leave her more than two hours, always comes with me, apart from sainsburys or town, she is just the best?

SueSocks Sat 22-Feb-20 18:25:06

I have a rescue Staffie, she came from Battersea & she was found as a stray on the streets of London. She has real anxiety issues. Unlike most of her breed she is very wary of people. She is very affectionate to us. She is reactive to other dogs so we have to give them a wide berth, she goes to a behaviourist once a week and is getting better, it is a long hard job. Back in November she damaged her cruciate ligament and to have a very complex (and very expensive) operation, there is a 3 month recovery period, and she has just reached that point - so walking further and back to training. Despite the expense and her issues we both love her to bits.
She is my sixth dog, always wanted a dog when I was a child but never allowed to have one, I used to walk the neighbours dog. My first dog was a terrier cross, the second was a cross Staffordshire Bull and English Bull terrier, lovely dog but so stubborn. Our third was a white German Shepherd, she died of cancer at 18 months. The remaining 3 have all been rescue Staffies - can't see myself having any other breed now.