Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs from Primary School

(298 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:26:21

I've just been reminded of a song, originally heard on 'Listen with Mother', called 'Horniman and Sir' about feet.

Horniman and Sir, here we go together, Horniman and Sir, never mind the weather
I'm sure many will remember it.

That led me on to favourite songs from my first days at school:
At Eastertime the lillies fair and lovely flowers grow everywhere, at Eastetime, at Eastertime, how glad the world at Eastertime
Sadly, I can find no more word to that one.

Then: Sing a song of Maytime, sing a song of Spring.....

The chorus went:
Maytime, playtime, God has given the Maytime
Thank him for his gifts of love and sing a song of Spring

Both written by Frederick A. Jackson, whose school songs were popular in the 50's.

Do you remember these songs and what were your favourite songs when you were little?

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:28:15

Sorry never heard of your songs, but I do remember ‘Jack O Lantern’ , When a knight won his spurs, and Lavenders Blue Dilly Dilly

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:30:36

Remember Lavenders blue Dilly Dilly. My mum used to sing it to me when I was small

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 19:47:45

Does anyone remember Marianina?
It is the only song I remember from Primary School.

LucyLocket55 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:52:05

I remember one more line from the Easter song

At Eastertime the Angels said, that Christ had risen from the dead.
At Eastertime etc

But that's all I remember.

Daddima Sat 22-Feb-20 19:53:37

Greenfinch, I have long mourned the loss of ‘proper’ singers these days, and put it down to ‘ Marianina’ no longer being taught in school!
?O’er the ocean flies a merry fay?

Septimia Sat 22-Feb-20 19:56:25

We learnt 'Linden Lea' to take part in a schools music festival and I've never managed to forget it!

'When a knight won his spurs' has always been one of my favourite hymns. And thanks, Greenfinch of reminding me of 'Mariannina' - although I have a sneaking feeling it might have been from when I was teaching and not when I was at school!

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 19:58:26

I don’t remember any of those songs BradfordLass but what we all learned at primary school was influenced by the vagaries of teachers, hence most of the ones we sang were ( the ones I remember singing) The Skye Boat Song, Blow The Wind Southerly, Marie’s Wedding, Don’t Sit Under The Apple Tree, The Bear Went Over The Mountain, and last but not least Oh! For The Wings Of A Dove ( surely beyond the singing talents of primary children.) ?

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 20:00:26

We also sang many (many!) hymns, as it was a Catholic school.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:01:02

One which we used to sing quite a bit was called The farmers den.. the farmers in his den, the farmers in his den e i cherry pie the farmers in his den, does anyone remember this ?

Juliet27 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:02:15

Oh yes Lemongrove I remember Marie’s wedding.

Juliet27 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:04:57

Anyone remember ‘Little brown seed, oh little brown brother’?

Gingster Sat 22-Feb-20 20:05:22

One eye on the pot and the other up the chimney, with a bow wow wow. ‘What the heck’?

jacq10 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:08:27

Remember "Shenandoah" and "Camptown Races". I loved singing in school and was in the choir for the Music Festival each year. It was usually traditional Scottish songs - "Leezie Lindsay", "Willie's gane tae Melville Castle", etc - we always had lovely costumes but as I was one of the tallest in the class I was part of the castle wall with a high turreted hat - not happy that year!!!

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 20:08:54

So glad others remember Marianina. The only words I can remember "come and turn us into foam"

pollyperkins Sat 22-Feb-20 20:09:08

Yes to the farmers in his den but this was a playground. Song & game. And we sand e-i tiddlyeye!
But in Class we sand songs like ‘Early one morning, Blow the wind southerly, where the bee sucks, there suck I, When icicles hang by the wall, and one about a cross eyed cook.
One I remember very well had the chorus: Jacky boy, Master, Sing ye well, Very well, Hey down, Ho down, Derry Derry down, among the leaves so green oh!

Anniebach Sat 22-Feb-20 20:10:40

Dafydd y Garreg Wen

The Ash Grove

Calon Lan

Now The Day Is Over. - sang at the end of school day ,five days
a week !

pollyperkins Sat 22-Feb-20 20:11:22

The cross eyed cook is the one Ginster mentioned: with one eye on the pot and t’other up the chimney with a tow row row!

pollyperkins Sat 22-Feb-20 20:11:47

Yes, the AshGrove

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:12:20

trendynanny we used to play ‘the farmers in his den’ in the playground all standing in a circle.
We also sang the Skye boat song, Marie’s Wedding, Blow the wind Southerly.

I’m trying to remember more.....

Bbarb Sat 22-Feb-20 20:13:42

"One Friday morn when we set sail. and our ship not far from land ...."
"Cherry Ripe"

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 20:15:58

We sang The Farmer Wants A Wife.....is that the same?It was sang and played in the playground though and the chorus was ‘Eee, Eye Addio, the Farmer wants etc.
First the Farmer wants a wife, then a child, then other things, lastly a dog....the child chosen as the dog stood in the middle while everyone sang ‘we all pat the dog’ whilst they patted him or her ( if you had an enemy they patted you pretty hard)
?

paddyanne Sat 22-Feb-20 20:17:06

Wild Mountain Thyme ,John Anderson My Jo ,My Love is Like a Red red Rose, Blow the Wind Southerly
Seems like we sang a lot ,most Fridays were singing or watching a film then there were the Hymns, The Holiday Hymn ,Bring Flowers of the Rarest ,Take me to Thy Sacred Heart .Mother of all that is Pure and Glad,Welcome to this world of woe Oh Sacrament Divine.
I gave up on religion a long time ago but I still sing some of these while doing my housework

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:17:42

Donkey Riding, Donkey Riding

Soldier Soldier won’t you marry me

Kijay was a soldier brave

Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 20:22:11

Oh BradfordLass! That song Maytime I sang at top infants. In the choir. We practiced for ages in the school hall. Then we were to sing ‘perfectly children’ as a recording was to be made.

We took our slips home. Mummy bought the recoding (a record - a thick 45rpm). We couldn’t afford a record player to play it on but mummy said ‘one day, hopefully’. It’s in her house now. She died 2y ago and I came across it a few weeks ago.

The other side we sang Spring is Coming, Spring is Coming, Birds are on the Wing

I can still recall the tunes. ? ?

Thank you SO much for nudging the memory. I was born in 1954 so the recording was probably 1958 Or 1959.